Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

She ignores her children the moment she steps out - makes me nuts!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 87 Replies

Does anyone else know someone like this?

This friend of my mom's who hangs out with us every now and then has two young kids (6 and 2).

Her 2 y.o. has a terrible behavior, because she never gives him any consequences (this coming from his fater and older half siblings).

Anyway, not my problem how she raises her children. But man, whenever she steps out with them she acts like she has no kids. Literally. We went to the mall the other day, and to the food court for a snack.

First, she didn't even get them anything, my mom had to. Then her son started running around the food court and dragging chairs out of their places and to the tables next to us. She didn't move a muscle, not even to look at him. Then her daughter started asking for my soda (she had one right there, still full) and again mom didn't even look at her. 

After that we went into a store so she could look at a dress. Her son was pulling everything off the racks and climbing up whatever he could. One more time, not even a look at him. I had to get him down from a rack, because she would ignore him completely. Then as we passed by another store he ran inside and started taking everything out of place there. At this point she did have a reaction: "Yeah, he likes sparkly things". My dad had to go in and get him out, cause "mom" couldn't be bothered.

Then we passed by my place for just a minute so she could see it (it's a new place). Her son started picking up everything in sight and throwing whatever it was to the floor, and her daughter first told me she was thirsty, then when I opened the fridge to get her some water started asking me to give her whatever she could see because she was "hungry".

And as all this went by she really didn't bother to even take a look at them. I'm really beginning to wonder what the heck. It's always like this. Am I being bitchy or is it something you'd be bothered by as well?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bamafama
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:00 AM

You are not being bitchy. that would annoy the hell out of me. I can't believe she didn't get them a snack from the food court that is rude!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Nope. She got one for herself, though. It's like she feels her kids stop being her responsibility the moment she steps out of the house.

Quoting bamafama:

You are not being bitchy. that would annoy the hell out of me. I can't believe she didn't get them a snack from the food court that is rude!!

bamafama
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:06 AM

IMO when you go out in public you need to keep a watchful eye on your children you never know what might happen. You can turn around and they could be gone. Maybe you need to tell her that.. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope. She got one for herself, though. It's like she feels her kids stop being her responsibility the moment she steps out of the house.

Quoting bamafama:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I thought that was common sense. My only kid is the same age her youngest one. I keep her within my arm length when we're out in public, you can indeed miss your kid in the blink of an eye. Plus, if her son would fall and get hurt, she'd probably be bitching about it. She does complain that people weren't looking. Duh, your kid, your job.

Quoting bamafama:

IMO when you go out in public you need to keep a watchful eye on your children you never know what might happen. You can turn around and they could be gone. Maybe you need to tell her that.. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bamafama:

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this

I would be embarrassed to be seen with a mom like that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I know.

She wants my kid to have playdates with her youngest. Uh... hell, no.

Quoting mysticalmalissa:

I would be embarrassed to be seen with a mom like that.

TrinnDee
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM

IMO, she is not purposely ignoring them. She probably does not enjoy being a mother and may need counseling. I know someone like this and that was a huge issue for her.

It still is a hard thing to witness so try talking to her when her kids are not around to see if you can get to the bottom of it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I actually have talked to her. It's heartbreaking to see sometimes. Sometimes she'll physically push them away from her. It's a pretty complicated story.

When I ask, she just says she's tired of being around them all the time. The thing is, she's not around all the time. She works full time and only sees them at night/weekends. And the kids were both planned. 

Even if they hadn't been, I don't think this would make any sense.

Quoting TrinnDee:

IMO, she is not purposely ignoring them. She probably does not enjoy being a mother and may need counseling. I know someone like this and that was a huge issue for her.

It still is a hard thing to witness so try talking to her when her kids are not around to see if you can get to the bottom of it.

TrinnDee
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:32 AM

She may not like being a mom- planned or not! The thought of being a mom is way different than the reality.

Quoting Anonymous:

I actually have talked to her. It's heartbreaking to see sometimes. Sometimes she'll physically push them away from her. It's a pretty complicated story.

When I ask, she just says she's tired of being around them all the time. The thing is, she's not around all the time. She works full time and only sees them at night/weekends. And the kids were both planned. 

Even if they hadn't been, I don't think this would make any sense.

Quoting TrinnDee:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

It may be. But she's a grown up. She's the one who has to suck it up, get counseling, asking for help. It's not up to the kids to make it right.

Quoting TrinnDee:

She may not like being a mom- planned or not! The thought of being a mom is way different than the reality. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN