Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how long did it take...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
your lo to be able to identify their letters?? my 5 yr old ds is struggling i made hime flash cards and weve done them alot but he sti just can't remember them? any advice? also he acts up in class and doesnt pay attention so he missed directions etc..
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:56 PM
he *misses directions sorry about typos im on my phone.. im so worried this teacher is going to fail him..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:59 PM
bump! i need advice mamas!
kiwiskiwi29
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Try associating the letters with pictures of familiar items. For ex. A is for apple and B is for Bee. That's how I got my ds to learn his letters. Also go to a teacher supply store and see if you can purchase a poster with the entire alphabet on it and hang it in his room. Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
awesome thanks! i live in a small town but i know one store has the abc wall border hopefully that will help... its jusy i sit with the cards and we go over them so mqny times.. then ill rearrange them and hes already forgotten! for C today i said think of the sea where sharks and fish live.. lol i know thats an S but now he knows his C! thanks again :)

Quoting kiwiskiwi29:

Try associating the letters with pictures of familiar items. For ex. A is for apple and B is for Bee. That's how I got my ds to learn his letters. Also go to a teacher supply store and see if you can purchase a poster with the entire alphabet on it and hang it in his room. Good luck!

Barbiedip
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:39 PM

My dd learned her alphabet at age two. What helped her was the alphabet poster we put on her wall. She was enthusiastic about learning so it was pretty easy, and soon after she started writing the letters too. Not all at first, she still has trouble with some at age two and a half. And she likes to think of words that start with the letter. Also, iPad apps! Some are awesome!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:43 PM
thanks! yes both him and dd 3 have been able to SAY the abcs sice like two.. but stupid me i didnt plan ahead and think to help him start actually knowing what they were :/ i feel so ashamed like i put him behind somehow. my dd likes learning too idk?? ugh im frustrated.. i heard the Innotab really helps???

Quoting Barbiedip:

My dd learned her alphabet at age two. What helped her was the alphabet poster we put on her wall. She was enthusiastic about learning so it was pretty easy, and soon after she started writing the letters too. Not all at first, she still has trouble with some at age two and a half. And she likes to think of words that start with the letter. Also, iPad apps! Some are awesome!

Barbiedip
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I'm not sure what that is :/ but we have a tracing app on our iPad. It helped tremendously. Once my dd got used to that, I got her a tracing book and pencil. Now she can write most letters without tracing. Find a tracing app!

Quoting Anonymous:

thanks! yes both him and dd 3 have been able to SAY the abcs sice like two.. but stupid me i didnt plan ahead and think to help him start actually knowing what they were :/ i feel so ashamed like i put him behind somehow. my dd likes learning too idk?? ugh im frustrated.. i heard the Innotab really helps???

Quoting Barbiedip:

mt0130
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Don't blame yourself for him having a hard time learning his letters, we can't teach them everything before they go to school, that's why they are going! My son had trouble with spelling and reading up until the 5th grade, I had him privately tutored from k thru 4th. One tutor who was a teacher's aide at another school told me that kids can't see their parent as their teacher and that is why it was hard for him to let me help him. I didn't teach my son to read before he started school, because I thought that they would be teaching him that-wrong-at the school he went to it was more memorization than teaching to read-but we had no idea before he went there. Anyway, some kids just take longer than others with certain subjects, my son had no trouble with math as long as it wasn't a word problem. After 5th grade he was a straight A student-now at ivy league college, so hang in there. I agree with letting him trace over letters, that should be of help. You may want to have him tested also, there may be some learning diability, my son had a form of dyslexia that he couldn't sound out the words therefore couldn't read them and then couldn't get the meaning of what he was reading, if someone else read to him, no problem. Didn't even know that was a type of dyslexia till we had him privately tested.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Have you had his vision checked?

powers2704
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Every child Is different. Not every child know their abc's at age two and they all learn with different strategies and at different levels. Do not feel like you hindered him from learning in any way. It's not anything you did wrong! I'm sure he will catch on. It just takes a little more time sometimes. Not a bad thing at all. Hope you feel better soon, just keep working with him and do not beat yourself up over it. Hugs to you!!! My daughter has a hard time with math and gives up most of the time b4 she even tries. Can be frustrating but we have just had to figure out different ways of helping her. All will be ok:)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Barbiedip:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)