Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

im not getting rid of my cats!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
Ok first off. I Love my cats. Both of which were rescues, one was abused, and both are just amazingly sweet cats. A little while after we found out I was pregnant people started saying "oh, well what will you do with your cats?" ,"are you going to take them back to the shelter? " And so on.Uhm, keep them? Why would I get rid od them? They said I wouldn't have time for my cats anymore... What ended up happening is we turned our patio into a cat enclosure type thing. Litter boxes, a 4 gallon water tank, food bowls, and a ton of cat toys and a carpet tower that they Love. I spend time with them every night. They just don't come in the house while the baby is awake usually. We Have had an incident involving a cat and a baby in the family. Not my cats, but I'm just cautious. I belive in forever homes. And I wouldn't get rid of a baby because I got a cat. Unless they do something horriblr wrong, they stay. And all I ever here from people are questions of when they're going to be rehomed.....
I just say people because its friends and family alike.... I don't know what they have against my cats...
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LeilaBeansMom
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:02 AM
I had a ton of the same questions when I was expecting our oldest daughter. We have 5 dogs. I always told them that the dogs were here first, we'd find a new home for the baby. Lol! Made people really quiet, really quickly!
ff-princess
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I don't think anyone has anything personal against your specific cats.  some people are firm in their belief that a cat will suck the soul out of a sleeping baby.  sounds utterly ridiculous, but people are people and sometimes superstition gets the better of some.

many are also skeeved at the thought of a cat walking and scratching in its litterbox, then walking on the floors/crib that your child might sleep in.

the logical people won't even think you should rehome your pets because you now have an infant.

julainepw
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 8:17 AM
I have a cat a dog and a 9 month old. They aren't all best friends but get along just fine. Baby still seems to have her soul. They respect each other, well the baby doesn't quite get it yet since she just wants to snag a handful of fur, tail or ear. The critters just run away. I fully believe when you get an animal it's a commitment for their life. I'm sure your family will be fine even with the kitty babies. :)
Alexsi1
by Alexandra on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I got asked the same questions when I was pregnant: I just let it roll, considering the people asking them ;)

sara170
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Pets are family, end of story!

catrig
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 12:16 PM
people are funny.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 13, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Wow! I love this post. I respect people like you! Don't give up on any of your babies, even the cats! I don't believe in just getting rid of them! Unless you really have a damn good reason. And as I'm typing this my cat just meowed and jumped onto my lap lol. Anyways, I think  lot of people just don't have the same level of thinking when it comes to "pets".   "Oh just get rid of them no big deal" Yeah well that's their home too, just because they're animals doesn't mean they would feel much different being abandoned! I don't like it when people just get rid of their pets. 

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I had 3 cats when my daughter was born.  They for the most part ignored her.  One was a little jealous and would climb in my arms when I was holding her.  They liked to sleep in the crib with her.  They were over 10 years old though.   I had no intentions of getting rid of my cats either and didn't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:40 PM
I have pets and kids, aways have=-O
ididntdoit111
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I have had cats around all of my children and not one of them is souless. If you bottle feed (with breastmilk or formula) keep the bottles out of reach of kitty while there's milk in them (a couple of my cats tried to get at the milk in the bottle ,NEVER tried to lick inside baby's mouths). Remember, don't change the litterbox while you are pregnant!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN