Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Is it OK to...

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:11 PM
  • 11 Replies
So here's a vague question which I'm sure will have many different answers. If you are in a relationship (bf, so,dh) is it OK for you and/or him to have friends of the opposite sex? If so, to what extent? Curious to see what everyone thinks...
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pagan_Mommy84
by Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I have friends of the oposite sex, and so does DH.  I know people who don't unless they are mutual friends...but we trust eachother and it works great for us :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah . but I'm one of those .. Pls don't whine about my friends. I'll do what I want. But I have an open relationship with my kids' father.
crazymomma87
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:10 PM
So what do you do with these friends? Go out to lunch? Talk on the phone? Can you go do something with them or have them over at your house while SO is at work or somewhere else? Same for SO?

Quoting Pagan_Mommy84:

I have friends of the oposite sex, and so does DH.  I know people who don't unless they are mutual friends...but we trust eachother and it works great for us :)

crazymomma87
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:12 PM
An open relationship...that sounds very interesting! I've never been in one but definitely can't say I haven't thought about it. Have you or your SO ever had to deal with any jealousy issues?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah . but I'm one of those .. Pls don't whine about my friends. I'll do what I want. But I have an open relationship with my kids' father.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 13, 2013 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes because its open between us ...but I get jealous of the girlfriend he had when I got pregnant ... BC she's Like the other main woman in his life.. He admits he gets jealous. But we started don't ask don't tell. N its been better lol

Quoting crazymomma87:

An open relationship...that sounds very interesting! I've never been in one but definitely can't say I haven't thought about it. Have you or your SO ever had to deal with any jealousy issues?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I have gay male friends, but from my experience most male friends(who aren't mutual friends with DH) eventually want to fuck.

crazymomma87
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:33 AM
bump!!
luvmynubabe
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:46 AM
2 moms liked this

I personally don't agree with having friends of the opposite sex because eventually they end up liking you, wanting to have sex, or wanting to be with you and that is just something I don't want to bring into my relationship. Too much drama for me. I wouldn't want my husband to have friends of the opposite sex because he's a nice and charming man and I know that some women fall for that. We ran into a problem before with one of those friends who felt it was okay to call him late at night because she wanted to talk about her problems with her boyfriend....see now ain't nobody got time for that!

"Love is the most precious thing in this world"

*~The Lovely Mrs. Sykes~*

Tigerlily21
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:37 AM
2 moms liked this
My husband has female work friends, but they don't see each other other than work. He made the mistake of getting close with a female at work (listening to her problems, etc.) And she called him drunk at 1am... I dont think so chic. It always turns into them liking him. We have friends that are couples and it works for us.
kellysp6637
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 7:46 AM
3 moms liked this

Friendships?  No sorry, I'm not good with solid friendships ....however an acquaintance is okay.....nothing more than hi and bye stuff.

Sorry, I think for some they can often confuse friendships into "feelings"....particularly when they might be having a rough patch at home, etc.....

I just feel it's not a good idea.  I used to have a ton of male friends, but when I got married, I just felt it better not to continue those friendships out of respect for my dh....plus I wouldn't have appreciated him having a ton of female friends. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)