Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Why is is babysitting for them?

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM
  • 22 Replies

Why is it that I have to practically beg my husband to watch his own kids when I want to do something? Example: I want to go to a lecture of a speaker that I would really like to see, but because it conflicts with his football watching I have to give advance notice or find an outside babysitter. So why is it babysitting for them and parenting for us? I better stop now because I have a whole list of things that make me scream but I cant because I'm a mom.

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bonnie_
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Call a relative  he absolutely  hates  to come  babysit  while  he is home.   I don't understand  either  why  he thinks  he  has to give such undivided attention  to a game.  A  lot of   men  have the kids  right  there  with  them in  front of the TV.   How old are the kids?

xoxRachelxox
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry but your husband sucks, that's why. 

I don't have to ask mine to watch the kids. If there's something I want to do, he will watch the kids. 

Tell him what plans you have and that he is watching the kids, don't leave it up for discussion. If he complains, ask him why it is his plans are more important than yours and why he can't stay with his own children. 

Coloradomom7
by New Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM

None of my children like football because of the way he acts when he is watching it and knowing that he would rather watch the game then spend time with them. He says that it is his "other kids day" even though they are 21 and 19 (from his first marriage) and our children are 12 - 5.

debramommyof4
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:22 PM

My husband does not think it is babysitting so I am no help.  I like Bonnie's response though.  That would be great.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I remember when my dd was about one, my dh said he would babysit her for me O_o, I flipped and pointed out how she was just as much his kid as mine and if he was babysitting her then he damn well better pay me for 24/7 babysitting. 9 years later and he has never tried that stunt again.
Why can't you just leave the kids with him and rogue thing?
Barbiedip
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I HATE that. I get it a lot. I have to ask permission to go out for a bit so he can decide whether he wants to watch the kids. But he'll head out the door, keys in hand, and say he's running to the store. I've decided that if he's not doing schoolwork (grad school), then I will do exactly what he does.

psych_mom
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I have never understood this notion. My kids are my husband's stepkids and he doesn't even look at as babysitting.

Coloradomom7
by New Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:45 PM

I would love to go "rogue", the only problem with this is that in the past when I have left for an appt or a class, he has left are 12 year old in charge and either gone to the store or worse, gone to bed and locked the door. Which I know wouldn't be that big a deal except we have six children the oldest being 12 and two special needs children, both with Autism and the one is nonverbal and a runner if she gets out of the house.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:38 AM
2 moms liked this
We're a tag team. When one of us has to go out, the other steps up. When one if us has that homicidal glint in their eye, the other steps in. Good system IMO.
Alexsi1
by Alexandra on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I do know a couple of my husband's friends who see it like that and complain when their wives go do something for themselves. Thankfully he isn't like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN