Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Pissed off, no car! (venting)

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM
  • 13 Replies
This is bad, my life went from bad, to crazy to bad again! My dh got laid off 3 weeks ago, and he hasnt been able to find work since, I went into labor early, on our way to the hospital we hit a deer, and now our car is totaled. Its drive able just structional damage, but bc my dh is not working and obviously im not working bc i just had the baby, we cant get it fixed. We are dishing out 200 a month for insurance for this stupid car...In my state insurance is required. We decided to take it off the road until we can get money to fix it, I know this isnt the best idea but its the smartest one. It would save us 200 a month yes, but we live in an area where there is no public transportation, so we have to depend on friends and family to get anywhere. AND its going to make it super hard for any of us to get jobs now. My husband has a motorcycle, he can use that for now but its getting cold quick. this is all just such bad timing. I cant believe my luck in life anymore. If i lived in a city I wouldnt have cared, but I dont. im hoping with the money we are saving we can get the car either fixed or a new one (used new one of course for like maybe 400 dollars until tax time) I hate living in the sticks, I really do!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Alex-9, Madison-7, Holly-3, Serenity 5.

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xoxRachelxox
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:25 PM

When it rains, it pours. Sorry. Hopefully he can find work soon. 

kerryket
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM
I feel ya, I have lived in rural areas and it can get tough when things go wrong.
psych_mom
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Do you have full coverage on your car (I would hope so for the amount that you are paying for the insurance)? You should only have to pay the deductible, but let me warn you, just because you think it is structural damage doesn't mean it is. I hit a deer at 35 mph in a Toyota Highlander. The first insurance est was $1500. Buy the time the repair shop was done, it was over $5300. There is usually a lot of hidden damage that you can't see.

mistressflora
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:28 PM

well my husband is a mechanic so he has to look at it anyways not that it matters bc we wont be drivingt it, we have no moeny to pay for parts anyways.  we dont have full coverage just basic, the reason its so much is for one, teh type of car it is (the monthly payments are like 150?) its 300 bc its a renewal this month.  and they also charge extra bc of where we live and on top of that he was in an accident 2 years ago even though it wasnt his fault its still on his record. soo it all adds up.  We have a caddilac, it can take on anything I surprised it still drove all the way to my dads lol.  idk whats going to happen right now itso ff the road until we figure something out or get actual money coming in, we have people to help, i hate depending on them but its better than nothing.

Quoting psych_mom:

Do you have full coverage on your car (I would hope so for the amount that you are paying for the insurance)? You should only have to pay the deductible, but let me warn you, just because you think it is structural damage doesn't mean it is. I hit a deer at 35 mph in a Toyota Highlander. The first insurance est was $1500. Buy the time the repair shop was done, it was over $5300. There is usually a lot of hidden damage that you can't see.

ravenseeyore
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:29 PM

For what you pay for insurance I hope you have full coverage.  Keep in mind that if your insurance has declared the car totaled you probably won't be allowed to get it fixed. If they notified the state that they have declared it totaled you may not be able to renew the registration.  What does your insurance company tell you?   You should only have to pay your deductible, if it can be fixed.

There can be alot of damage that you might not be able to see.  If the impact bent the frame you will not be able to make it safe to drive.  I had a deer run out in front of me.   I was in the left lane when I hit my brakes, and by the time I got the car stopped I was on the right shoulder.  The deer got up and ran off. I had minor damage.  But I know several people that have hit deer and totaled their cars.  And they had to get a new car.

mistressflora
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:44 PM
we took the car off the road, it was the better option and for the fact that its saving us money right now. My husband is a mechanic, he just hasnt had the chance to get over to my dads to look at it. the reason we are paying so much is for one, its a caddilac and they charge more for insurance, 2, my husband got into a really bad accident about 2 years ago, he was the only car involved but it still went on his record. They also charge extra for us to park it at our house bc of the area we live in. I know it sounds dumb but certain areas are more prone to theft and accidents than others.
Quoting ravenseeyore:

For what you pay for insurance I hope you have full coverage.  Keep in mind that if your insurance has declared the car totaled you probably won't be allowed to get it fixed. If they notified the state that they have declared it totaled you may not be able to renew the registration.  What does your insurance company tell you?   You should only have to pay your deductible, if it can be fixed.

There can be alot of damage that you might not be able to see.  If the impact bent the frame you will not be able to make it safe to drive.  I had a deer run out in front of me.   I was in the left lane when I hit my brakes, and by the time I got the car stopped I was on the right shoulder.  The deer got up and ran off. I had minor damage.  But I know several people that have hit deer and totaled their cars.  And they had to get a new car.

psych_mom
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM

You guys way overpay in insurance. My Toyota Highlands is a 2013, not even 3 months old and we just got our insurance renewal and it is going to be $88 a month, even with the wreck that I just had, and that is full coverage. You may want to shop around for insurance because that is crazy. When my ex had his sports car, which is more expensive to insure than a Cadillac, our insurance was never more than $115 a month, and that was when we lived in a beach town that was much larger than the area that we live now.

How old are you guys?

Quoting mistressflora:

we took the car off the road, it was the better option and for the fact that its saving us money right now. My husband is a mechanic, he just hasnt had the chance to get over to my dads to look at it. the reason we are paying so much is for one, its a caddilac and they charge more for insurance, 2, my husband got into a really bad accident about 2 years ago, he was the only car involved but it still went on his record. They also charge extra for us to park it at our house bc of the area we live in. I know it sounds dumb but certain areas are more prone to theft and accidents than others.
Quoting ravenseeyore:

mistressflora
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:11 PM
hes 32 im 30.
Quoting psych_mom:

You guys way overpay in insurance. My Toyota Highlands is a 2013, not even 3 months old and we just got our insurance renewal and it is going to be $88 a month, even with the wreck that I just had, and that is full coverage. You may want to shop around for insurance because that is crazy. When my ex had his sports car, which is more expensive to insure than a Cadillac, our insurance was never more than $115 a month, and that was when we lived in a beach town that was much larger than the area that we live now.

How old are you guys?

Quoting mistressflora:

Quoting ravenseeyore:

psych_mom
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:13 PM

You guys need to shop around for insurance. Unless you both have a lot of tickets and several accidents there is no need for you to be paying this much for liability.

Quoting mistressflora:

hes 32 im 30.
Quoting psych_mom:

How old are you guys?

Quoting mistressflora:

Quoting ravenseeyore:

mistressflora
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM

i dont have anything he has some but idk i hear this alot though, and i do think this is a good idea!

Quoting psych_mom:

You guys need to shop around for insurance. Unless you both have a lot of tickets and several accidents there is no need for you to be paying this much for liability.

Quoting mistressflora:

hes 32 im 30.
Quoting psych_mom:

How old are you guys?

Quoting mistressflora:

Quoting ravenseeyore:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)