Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Cliques In The Workplace

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:40 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
What do you think?

I started a new job (small office/all female) over six months ago. It was great in the beginning (the work is fine) but I noticed the clique with my co-workers...it started with my actual boss who is head of the clique. And it doesn't help at all when the President is part of this same clique too. I keep to myself and get my work done...I'm obviously not apart of this group (I'm not the clique type) nor do I really care but the awkward silence and looks they give me is just nerving. They will carry convos with me individually but act as though they really aren't suppose to. I'm tired of this. What can you do if it's your boss or upper management that's in the clique? Has this ever happened to you before?
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm in the same boat. Just don't buy into the bull, they will be weeded out at some point.
Bleulyte
by New Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Yeah I ignore it... It just gets to me sometime. Thanks!
anotherhalf
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this
What do you mean by clique? How is it different than just being friends?
Bonnie_
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I dunno  know what to say...    The advice I would  give my  kids  is... If  you  can afford to  go  look  for another  job and secure  it  based  on your skill and experience level  do   it.   If  you  are gonna be stuck  there  for a while  then  just concentrate  on  your  work .  You  didn't  get a job to socialize  but  to work.   Smile and  be pleasant... maybe  bring  in  a box  of  donuts  in the morning  and  the rest   just concentrate  on getting  your work done.   make sure  you  are  dressed  properly  for the  job  with  nothing  hanging out.       Notice  how they are  dressed  and  tyry to  dress similarly.  Also  if   they are  not  swearing  then  don't  swear.    Some  bosses  like a smooth  ship  and  if someone  sticks out  like  a sore thumb  they  get nervous.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:34 AM
1 mom liked this
My last job ; if ur not friends with upper ppl...you wont move up...so much bs...
idc though. I did my job. I was good at it..and I knew I wasnt going to work there forever anyways..sonce hubby is in the military...we will be moving at one point PR another... I was only there for six momths....

Bleulyte
by New Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I do my work, dress properly and actually have brought in pastries lol. I'm not looking for friends in the work place. I am here to make a living...just a little nerving to see behaviour that I left in high school over 17 years ago. It's not affecting my ability to perform...it's just a vent.
Bleulyte
by New Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:21 AM
They may be friends but their behavior is still standoffish...do you get what I mean though?

Quoting anotherhalf:

What do you mean by clique? How is it different than just being friends?

Alexsi1
by Alexandra on Oct. 23, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I've noticed it at my workplace but I work prn so I think that's one reason I'm not really part of "the group". Out of 22 night shift nurses on my unit just me and 2 other women have small children, so I don't really have much in common with my other co-workers. 

Bleulyte
by New Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Yeah me and two other ladies have young kids. No one in the clique have kids except for one and she is a teenager....that does factor sometimes.

Quoting Alexsi1:

I've noticed it at my workplace but I work prn so I think that's one reason I'm not really part of "the group". Out of 22 night shift nurses on my unit just me and 2 other women have small children, so I don't really have much in common with my other co-workers. 

JTE11
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I worked in an office that was 99% women and there were always cliques, just because a lot of women never mature past high school mentality. I didn't care about it, because I figured I was there to work, not to have buddies and be social time. I was friendly with everyone but didn't get sucked into the gossip and drama they created. I was long out of the high school mentality so if they gave me weird looks or whispered about me I never noticed because I really don't have time for that BS. Just decide not to deal with it, do your job, be friendly and professional and at the end of the day go home. That's all we go to work for anyway, it doesn't have to be high school unless you let it bother you. Keep ignoring it, and let them wallow in it if they like. trust me, you're better off not getting pulled into that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)