Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

they raised my rent! but i have a question...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
Can I fight it? I will be paying 1200 for a 1000 sq ft apartment. We have always been early or on time for our rent, never late. And this apartment is not the same as the others, it doesn't have ceiling fans, they said they were replacing the carpets when I moved in, they didn't. And the water pressure in my master bathroom is almost nonexistant, I've been telling them this for months. I don't have a problem with the almost 200 dollar raise in price. But I'm paying for the use of 2 bathrooms in an outdated apartment. -_-
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherhalf
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM
You could always ask. My landlord raised my rent. I counter-offered and they accepted.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM
I could try. I'd be happy if they'd just fix the problems or put me into one of the other apartments.
Quoting anotherhalf:

You could always ask. My landlord raised my rent. I counter-offered and they accepted.

anotherhalf
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Tell them that. If your a good tenant they'd be foolish to lose you.

Quoting Anonymous:

I could try. I'd be happy if they'd just fix the problems or put me into one of the other apartments.
Quoting anotherhalf:

MomToNeeners
by Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

You could fight it if them raising it isn't legally sound, like them not giving you proper documentation and also I do think you need to sign a new lease too, but I would check out the laws in your area on it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Its a 6 month lease we reached the end of again. Every time the lease is up they raise the rent. There is no cap here so they can do it
Quoting MomToNeeners:

You could fight it if them raising it isn't legally sound, like them not giving you proper documentation and also I do think you need to sign a new lease too, but I would check out the laws in your area on it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Well the biggest problem is I live in an area where housing is hard to come by, if I left they'd have a new tenant in within a week. And because of that they don't really keep up the upkeep.
Quoting anotherhalf:

Tell them that. If your a good tenant they'd be foolish to lose you.

Quoting Anonymous:I could try. I'd be happy if they'd just fix the problems or put me into one of the other apartments.
Quoting anotherhalf:You could always ask. My landlord raised my rent. I counter-offered and they accepted.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:28 PM

You can call and try to negotiate but I doubt you'll get anywhere, it sounds like they are pretty crummy landlords. I know moving is hard and a pain but that's what I suggest you do. Buy something if you can.

MomToNeeners
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I would go somewhere else then because that's BS. It sounds like they aren't even keeping things up to code.

Terpsichore
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Is there any documentation stating they are required to maintain certain things per the lease agreement, or that they agreed to replace carpets, or anything of that nature?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:48 PM
No I don't, just what they told me prior to moving in. I couldn't even see it before hand because they were "replacing the carpet"
Quoting Terpsichore:

Is there any documentation stating they are required to maintain certain things per the lease agreement, or that they agreed to replace carpets, or anything of that nature?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)