Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

I'm not sure what to do :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

I belong to a group that I enjoy the content in it. I just don't feel comfortable. They have a no swearing rule. I guess I realized that at the beginning but as time goes on, it just makes me feel uncomfortable. I occasionally swear online. I swear a fair amount IRL. I just feel like I have to censor myself and I have started second guessing what I'm posting. And not just in that group either. I'm doing it in all my groups now. Even ones where I know they don't care if you type a swear word or two.

Gah, I enjoy the stuff that goes on in the group but it feels awkward for me to be in there. :(

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Then don't go in there. Seems strange you can't communicate without cursing! Lucky you aren't a teacher like me!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:50 AM

It isn't that I can't. I can. I go to work and don't curse there but this is my free time. If I'm feeling frustrated or mad, yeah, I want to be able to express myself without worrying about what I'm typing is wrong. I'm sick of the feeling that what I'm doing isn't "correct" by some morally derelict society's standards.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Then don't go in there. Seems strange you can't communicate without cursing! Lucky you aren't a teacher like me!

NDADanceMom
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Whomever started the group obviously doesn't like curse words so she started a group for that. Its her group and she isn't morally derelict for that (not sure that means what you think it means).
Start your own group that meets your needs.

Quoting Anonymous:

It isn't that I can't. I can. I go to work and don't curse there but this is my free time. If I'm feeling frustrated or mad, yeah, I want to be able to express myself without worrying about what I'm typing is wrong. I'm sick of the feeling that what I'm doing isn't "correct" by some morally derelict society's standards.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

lizzy_ellie
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM

First world problems LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM

So what? I'm having a hard time making a decision. So I posted about it. Just because this isn't anothe baby daddy/welfare/drama post doesn't make this any less important.

Quoting lizzy_ellie:

First world problems LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I'm not saying she was. I was talking about society in general. And yes, I do know what derelict means. I'm not stupid. And I have started my own group before and I don't have time for that.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Whomever started the group obviously doesn't like curse words so she started a group for that. Its her group and she isn't morally derelict for that (not sure that means what you think it means).
Start your own group that meets your needs.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

lizzy_ellie
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:59 AM

If you don't like it, the don't be in it. Simple as that.

It's not like you're talking to someone one on one and a swear word just comes out. You're typing.. you can just not type that swear word. Wow... can't believe how easy that is.

Quoting Anonymous:

So what? I'm having a hard time making a decision. So I posted about it. Just because this isn't anothe baby daddy/welfare/drama post doesn't make this any less important.

Quoting lizzy_ellie:

First world problems LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:00 AM

NDADanceMom
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Yeah it really is less important. Your life should not be impacted from this. It really isn't a big deal.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lizzy_ellie:

First world problems LOL

psych_mom
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM

If you don't enjoy having to sensor yourself, then leave the group. There are those of us that don't swear (I seriously have no clue why, I have just never done it) and there are those that do, simple as that. The lady that has the group probably just wants a place where she doesn't have to see it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN