Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

FB page being hacked and calling the police...

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 5:38 PM
  • 12 Replies

We all know from time to time there are risk associated with clicking on fb links and that our accounts can get hacked if we do something so stupid. Would you contact the police and waste their time or would you change your password and go on with your day? 

I actually had someone on my fb page that actually called the police over this. I really want to respond with "Instead of wasting police time, pay attention to what you are doing and don't clink on unknown links, use your head".  

by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kerryket
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Nah, not a police matter.
psych_mom
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 5:43 PM

My thoughts exactly!

Quoting kerryket:

Nah, not a police matter.

Howardx5
by Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:58 PM
the police have real problems and crimes to deal with. if you cant handle the risks of using the internet- get off!
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Nov. 17, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Oh help me officer. Someone hacked my account on a social networking site. SMH

psych_mom
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Hahaha, I know, right?

Quoting ColleenF30:

Oh help me officer. Someone hacked my account on a social networking site. SMH

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM

A few weeks ago, I noticed someone (who I thought I was already friends with) friend request me. I got suspicious the moment they started using phrases I didn't know them to use, and eventually they told me about a ton of money that a company 'just gave them' for entering a sweepstakes. Someone had cloned my aquaintance's FB page, pictures and all. So, I reported them to FB and told the person it had targeted. She immediately tweaked, screaming and crying (she's in her late 20s), but I calmed her down and told her to change her password and make her page more private. I think she eventually called the cops, but I didn't think it was necessary. The person had been reported, and she had changed her password and put up extra security on her page. I don't think it was really police worthy since no real damage was done, but it was her call. *shrugs*

psych_mom
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Most of the time it isn't actual people it is "bots", computer generated programs that do it to gather information and steal identities for a large group of people. There isn't much the local police can do about it.

Quoting Anonymous:

A few weeks ago, I noticed someone (who I thought I was already friends with) friend request me. I got suspicious the moment they started using phrases I didn't know them to use, and eventually they told me about a ton of money that a company 'just gave them' for entering a sweepstakes. Someone had cloned my aquaintance's FB page, pictures and all. So, I reported them to FB and told the person it had targeted. She immediately tweaked, screaming and crying (she's in her late 20s), but I calmed her down and told her to change her password and make her page more private. I think she eventually called the cops, but I didn't think it was necessary. The person had been reported, and she had changed her password and put up extra security on her page. I don't think it was really police worthy since no real damage was done, but it was her call. *shrugs*

armywifey1983
by Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I had a full conversation with this 'person'. I'm not fully convinced it was a bot, but there's no real way to be sure.

Quoting psych_mom:

Most of the time it isn't actual people it is "bots", computer generated programs that do it to gather information and steal identities for a large group of people. There isn't much the local police can do about it.

Quoting Anonymous:

psych_mom
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Ah, in that case it might not have been.

Quoting armywifey1983:

I had a full conversation with this 'person'. I'm not fully convinced it was a bot, but there's no real way to be sure.

Quoting psych_mom:

Quoting Anonymous:

mysticalmalissa
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 5:33 AM

No, thats not something I would call the cops for. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN