Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Americans NEED To Fight For Educational Reform Instead Of Quit And Home School

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 66 Replies
1 mom liked this

Our local movie theatre chooses one Saturday a month to offer a movie FREE. Which means they only make a profit from selling consessions...food & drinks. The movie was set to be shown at LUNCHTIME.

Now that the stage is set...here's what happened.

The movie was a popular one and being free ment there were a lot of people out the door and around the block waiting to get in. We were there early so we were about the 20th family in line. We're all hungry, there are three hot dogs in the glass display case/warmer. There are 20 families before us. 3 hot dogs.

Most people were buying nachos and popcorn...and yes, by the time we made it to the concession stand...all three hot dogs were gone.

"May I help you?" "Yes, I'd like to buy three hot dogs." NO JOKE, the kid slowly turns his head to look at the glass case to emphasize MY stupidity for asking for something that isn't there...then slowly turns his head to look at me with "are you stupid?" written across his face as he says, "Duh...we're out."

"I can see the case is empty. You are telling me that your boss who is counting on food and drink sales for a free movie at lunchtime didn't buy enough hot dogs for all the potential customers? His only source of profit and he didn't bother to stock up?" Kid looks at me with a blank stare...no response.

"Please check the fridge AND freezer behind you for more hot dogs." He does walk back, opens both doors, looks inside and even I can see the bags of hot dogs on the fridge shelf from where I'm standing...he comes back EMPTY handed and says yes there are more hot dogs in the fridge.

"Can I please buy three hot dogs?" He turns slowly again to look at the empty glass case..."No, we're out."

"You just said you have more in the fridge." At this point he turns to his co-worker who is standing two feet away listening to the whole thing and says to her..."You take them, I can't deal with impossible customers!"

Are you sitting down? Wait for it...she says to me, "How can I help you?" (I'm thinking what are you? deaf?)

"Yes, I'd like to buy three hot dogs." She slowly turns her head and looks at the glass case...the empty as his and her head case...I'm trying not to go all out bitch EMPTY DAMN CASE!

"Yes, I know the case is empty, I'm not blind, we both know there are MORE hot dogs in the fridge as your ever so cleaver and helpful co-worker discovered two minutes ago. You asked me if you could help me. You offered help. So, please may I buy three hot dogs?"

"Nope."

"Why not?"

"Because we can't sell cold hot dogs."

"Well, then heat them up!"

"Can't."

"Why not?"

"The case is a warmer it's not a cooker."

"Then how did the original three hot dogs get cooked and then end up in the warmer?"

"Oh, they were microwaved first."

"Hmmm, so you can take three hot dogs and microwave them and then place them into the case before customers arrive...but you can't nuke additional hot dogs to stock the case full for the long line of customers, and you can't replace every hot dog sold with a newly nuked hot dog so that the long line of customers can all have hot hot dogs? Your boss would rather lose money by losing a sale during Free Movie Day where the only profit comes from food sales? How are you two genuses not fired?"

The boss comes over as WE are holding up the concessions line...

"How can I help you?"

"Do you mean that?"

"Uh, yeeeeesssss? Why?"

"Because all of your employees ask if they can help, they possess the hot dogs and the microwave with which to cook the hot dogs...and yet I've blown through two of your employees and am now face to face with you and the HELP have not managed to HELP me buy three hot dogs. So, if you are honestly serious, I'd REALLY like to buy three hot hot dogs. Can you help me?"

"Sure! (Turning to X and Y) get the bag of hot dogs out of the fridge and heat them up in the microwave!" He walks off without apologizing for the incompetent staff.

Y goes gets the bag of hot dogs, nukes 3 and hands them to me. I thank him for FINALLY DOING HIS JOB! I step over to the popcorn girl X and as she asks me if she can help me...wait for it...wait for it...

Y asks the family behind us, "How can I help you?" and they say..."We'd like to buy 5 hot dogs." Y slowly turns his head and looks at the STILL EMPTY CASE and says..."We're out."

NOTE: The bag of hot dogs was never put back in the fridge...it is still sitting on the counter next to the microwave...

If our education system: federal/local or homeschool was not severly flawed...then these two brainiacs would have had some chance of doing their jobs slightly competently.

We need to stop giving up and homeschooling and stand up and insist that the Educational system be repaired.

UPDATE to clarify a few items: 

Y & X were over 21...just younger than myself.

Their behavior I run into DAILY where I live...all ages...same "duh" attitude and incompetence.

50% of the parents I know either pay more than their home is worth in yearly tuition for private school or homeschool because the public school system in our area is so horrendous.

The other 50% can't afford the tuition or can't afford to quit work and stay home...so their kids attend the local public school system...and their parents HATE IT!

The local public school system:

1.  Bullys send kids to the hospital and are in school the next day...no repercussions.

2. Textbooks are NEVER allowed home. By LAW parents can request in writing that a set of textbooks be provided for home use...and you're told they don't have any extras...in VIOLATION of the FEDERAL LAW.

3.  They do NOT do spelling tests in 5th grade and up. "That's what spell checker is for."

4.  The School Superintendent publically brags about being able to provide the cheapest education out of all the counties in our state.

5.  Kids that test below grade level on assessments...are not given 504s or IEPs to assist them in coming up to grade level...EVEN WHEN THEY HAVE DOCUMENTED LEARNING DISABILITIES.

6.  I had to explain what dipthongs were to the Speech Instuctor at my son's school when testing revealed he had problems with dipthongs.

7.  Now that Asperger's Syndrom no-longer exists...there's nothing wrong with my son and he does not need Special Ed. services even though his IQ tests are higher than grade level but his state and county assessments are all below grade level.

8.  My son's refusal to write letters left to right, going the correct direction (b instead of d or w instead of m) since Kindergarden are simply because he's lazy and not because he is profoundly dyslexic and dysgraphic (as his independent of the school system assessments reveal). "We don't do "dyslexia and dysgraphia" those aren't accademic issues those are medical issues." "Oh, but his ADHD where there is a pill he can take is NOT a medical issue (except you need his doctor to write the prescription) but an academic issue? How convienent. Pitty there isn't a pill for dyslexia...then maybe you could attend to it?"

Every meeting with the school starts with how much my son's teachers just LOVE him. He's polite and respectful and well behaved. He's thoughtful and helpful. He always tries to protect others from bullies. His homework is always done...(when he's given homework).

Then they complain:

He just can't sit still for 7 hours. He has the attention span of a gnat. If it's a subject he isn't interested in...he'll daydream or read a book instead of pay attention (this was the complaint when the topic was 100 years of Girls Scouts.) He doesn't stick with the classwork long enough to finish it. He corrects the teacher on subjects he's interested in...(because Aspie kids become "little professors" about their favorite subject and obsessively compulsively consume all knowledge book/movie/video/internet on the subject.) She wasn't upset that he knew the correct information...she just didn't like being embarrassed in front of the whole class for saying the wrong "fact" about that particular dinosaur. He's a good kid and all his classmates love him...even the bullies. He just isn't convienent...you have to nag him to get back on task. He loves to read but flunks reading assessments because they are TIMED and it takes him too long to read to count as grade level. He's a creative writer of interesting stories...but he takes too long to write, he misspells words and his handwriting is illegible.

To which I reply as calmly and respectfully as I can: Thank you for LOVING my son. If you were to take the time to read his INDEPENDENT (as in no hidden agenda) evaluations and assessments...you would know that he has Asperger's Syndrom (that does not magically heal because the DSM erased it from their pages) (which is often misdiagnosed as ADHD) and he is PROFOUNDLY DYSLEXIC AND DYSGRAPHIC (even though there is no magic pill to treat the inconvienent symptoms). ADHD meds exacerbate Aspie symptoms and would make your class day even worse.

Now can we focus on what needs to be done to get him up to grade level in reading/writing/math?

"I'm sorry, our time is up. See you next year." Ugh.

This is why I connected the incompetent employee story and poor public education and homeschoolers should band together and improve the public education system.

UPDATE: 

I took my son to the local McD and while he was crawling through the play tunnels...a woman, her twenty something daughter and three under five years old grand kids entered the establishment.

The Twenty Something Daughter (TST from this point on) with pink hair was wearing...

a white spaghetti straped tank top with a black and red bra that showed through...this top did not cover her mid-riff section...revealing her beer gut with diamond studded belly button above her...

UNZIPPED blue jeans and green thong underware and HER PUBIC HAIR.

TST's mother was a woman of my age. This 40 something woman was properly dressed to be in public and just stared blankly into space...ignoring her daughter's attire.

With the thought that maybe TST's zipper just broke...I offered her a safety pin to help keep it closed.

"Oh, no thanks! This is the style."

WTF? What twilight zone have I stepped into? Am I being punked? (As I look around for TV camera crew...)

My son jumps off the end of the slide and comes running up to me and stops dead in his tracks...

"Hey, lady your underwear is showing."

"THAT'S THE STYLE!" She beligerently responds to my son.

"Regardless of your tasteless, I mean taste in "style"...this is a restaurant that is required to follow food safety regulations or be shut down by the Health Inspector. I guarantee that your exposed pubic hair is a health code violation. Please zip your pants."

"F off Bitch!" At which point the Manager of the restaurant runs out from behind the counter and politely requests she zip up or leave.

"F all ya'll Bitches! THIS IS THE STYLE!"

At which point Grandma zombie gathers her grand kids and heads for the door.

I was grateful she at least wore a bra and underwear...

I REALLY need to move back to civilization.

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 29, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kerryket
by Gold Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow, just wow.
aimesnyc
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I couldn't agree more.

debramommyof4
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 5:34 PM
5 moms liked this
What does any of that foolishness have to do with homeschooling? Did you find out they were homeschooled?
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 6:22 PM
7 moms liked this

I don't think homeschooling or the public school system has ANYTHING to do with the idiots you encountered.  I am quite sure that these numbskulls exasperate their teachers and parents too.

anotherhalf
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:47 PM
2 moms liked this
Or the owner could hire more capable employees.
Liastele
by Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:57 PM
4 moms liked this

It really is sad that the average adult with a hs diploma could not enroll in community college without first having to take remedial math and English courses. That said, a firm grasp of the basics does not equate to common sense. Book smarts does not teach students how to microwave a hot dog.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Quoting debramommyof4:

What does any of that foolishness have to do with homeschooling? Did you find out they were homeschooled?

Sorry, I have more than one conversation going and they sort of merged in my rant above. Many people I know grow tired of fighting with the local school district and decided to home school their kids.

Instead of joining together and insisting the school district improve for all the children's behalf...they think only of their own children and provide a superior education only to their own children.

That combined somehow with the rancid education these two obviously slept through to be so daft and that's why I wrote what I did.

I support homeschooling done right for the right reasons...but when the existing system is so bad that masses abandon it for homeschooling...then shouldn't they actually band together to improve the system instead of thinking only of themselves?

JeremysMom
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Just to play Devil's advocate here.

What if the worker had a learning disablity?

What if they didn't get the hotdogs in time and the boss said to just concentrate on selling what was already made?

What if you had approached this matter in a bit of a nicer manner?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Quoting JeremysMom:

"Just to play Devil's advocate here.

What if they didn't get the hotdogs in time and the boss said to just concentrate on selling what was already made?

What if you had approached this matter in a bit of a nicer manner?"

Okay...so what part of "Yes, we'd like three hot dogs, please." was un-nice? I am willing to take responsibility for devolving into a bitch later...but I started off happy to be with my family out having fun at the movies.

If they had a learning disability I would not have posted the incident.

They had no difficulties giving customers the candy, sodas,nachos and popcorn of various sizes when requested. It was just hot dogs they were incompetent about but only until the boss told them to do their job...then suddenly they could do that too.

Only to pull the same crap on the family behind us?

JeremysMom
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting JeremysMom:

"Just to play Devil's advocate here.

What if you had approached this matter in a bit of a nicer manner?"

Okay...so what part of "Yes, we'd like three hot dogs, please." was un-nice? I am willing to take responsibility for devolving into a bitch later...but I started off happy to be with my family out having fun at the movies.

If they had a learning disability I would not have posted the incident.

They had no difficulties giving customers the candy, sodas,nachos and popcorn of various sizes when requested. It was just hot dogs they were incompetent about but only until the boss told them to do their job...then suddenly they could do that too.

Only to pull the same crap on the family behind us?

My sister has a learning disability and you wouldn't know if just by one encounter. You would think that she was just lazy or the "school system failed her", when in fact it is quite the opposite. 

You even admitted that they had no problems with the candy, popcorn, and sodas, so why did they have problems with the hot dogs?Again, what if the manager had told his staff not to worry with the hot dogs since there was such a large crowd and he only told them to get you the hot dogs so you would quite slowing up the line with your complaining.

Yes, you may have asked them "We would like 3 hot dogs", but if you obviously saw that there was none in the warmer and there was a line of people, maybe you should have asked if there would be any hot dogs today and if so, if you could pay for it then and come back in a few minutes to pick them up when it was ready. 

Your one encounter with a movie theater that probably hires kids still in high school has nothing to do with the school system failing our children and that people should not home school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)