Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Teens smoking cigarettes

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:41 PM
  • 28 Replies

My oldest daughter just turned 15 and for the past two years she has been smoking cigarettes.  I've grounded her, thrown her cigarettes away, and taken away privledges etc.  Nothing has worked and I finally got to the point at Christmas that I wasn't going to allow this constant fighting to ruin our relationship, and I told her from now on she could smoke at home and I would buy her cigarettes as long as she paid me for them.  As sad as I am that she smokes I realized that her and my relationship was more important. Has anyone else been through this before?

by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I think your choice is wrong and you haven't come close to trying but what ever floats your boat. Its your daughters life and health vs you being her friend... Thats the choice you made as a parent

NDADanceMom
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

How did she get them in the first place?  Does someone in your house smoke?  

Id never help my kids break the law but whatever. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:51 PM
Other people can get it for her...
Like homeless people, strangers, friends, family ect

Quoting NDADanceMom:

How did she get them in the first place?  Does someone in your house smoke?  

Id never help my kids break the law but whatever. 

Apgsteenmommy
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 4:51 PM
When I was young I would smoke as well :( my mom knew about it but hat no part of it. She ignored it and always pretenders to not know.
ViviAnne43
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 5:59 AM
1 mom liked this

As someone who has been smoking 30 years I know what a terrible habit it is.  But I also know that if kids want to smoke, they will find a way no matter how much we lecture them or punish them.  With my kids I hated that they started smoking but I also knew that there wasn't much I could do about it once they were hooked and decided it wasn't a fight I was going to win. 

amberNewman0213
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:02 AM
1 mom liked this
My mom did this with me too! I was 16 when she started letting me and I smoked less once she did. When I turned 18 and could buy my own I maybe smoked a few months and then quit. I think when your a teen u like the idea of it being rebellious. When it wasn't rebellious anymore I just Idk didn't have such a desire for it. Now I only smoke when I drink. And I'm pregnant so not drinking at the moment. Lol
mindful23
by Maylene on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:43 AM
Nothing i can say. You have given her permission to smoke. Teenagers that age are sneaky and cunning. Difficult job mama
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not trying to be harsh but, your choice (it is yours but) is the wrong one.

It sounds like you are trying to be her friend...not her mother. Children her age should not be smoking!

Show her pictures of smokers lungs, and what happens to smokers!

They can loose limbs, get cancer!

Do YOU want these things for your 15 year old child!?

Sit her down and tell her you have changed your mind.

You are her mother first and her friend last. You have her best interest in mind and then show her the images.

Tell her that smoking would not be allowed. It sounds like she won this battle and that is not okay.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:49 AM

So if she starts turning tricks are you going to help her find johns ? If she wants to be a stripper will you have a pole built in her bedroom too ? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:56 AM
My parents ignored it. When I got older they gave me a few lectures over my health. I really wish they would have grounded me and been really serious to get me to stop. I can't quit I am 33 yo. The only time I quit was when I was pregnant : (. Maybe if when I was a kid before it turned into this huge addiction I could have avoided it. It isn't my parents fault it is my fault but maybe a few road blocks would have stopped me. Show her pictures of what long term smokers look like. Show her pictures of people having throat surgery black lungs. Look up statistics of how many people are effected and what happens to them. Show her teeth and how yellow they can get. Part of the reason teens smoke is they think it will never happen to them. Get the facts and shove it in her face. I would have appreciated my parents effort. Even if it didn't work I would look back and really see how much they cared.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)