Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

i don't know if my mom is lying?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:38 PM
  • 25 Replies

all my life i thought my dad died when i was 3. i never really got to know him and dont really remember any memories i had with him but what seems funny is every time i ask questions about him to my grandparents from my moms side they always beat around the bush and change the subject. my mom and i had talks about him but i dont know. i have no contact with my grandparents from his side. there are no pictures of my siblings and i at a funeral when we were younger. recently i searched his name on facebook but it was private. the profile picture was him though. is my mom lying about my dads death? i dont know whats the truth and i dont know how to confront my mom about this or my sisters and brothers.

by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JorJorsMom
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Are your siblings old enough to remember?  You could look up a death certificate if he is in fact deceased.

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:37 PM
2 moms liked this

This! I would try adding him on facebook or sending a message, explain who you are and go from there. If you find out he is alive, I would definitely confront your mom!

Quoting JorJorsMom:

Are your siblings old enough to remember?  You could look up a death certificate if he is in fact deceased.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:40 PM
4 moms liked this

Just keep in mind that your mom likely had very good reasons for protecting you all these years if it does turn out he is alive.

JTE11
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I think that if you are an adult you can just say you don't believe he is dead, you are determined to find the truth and you are going to look for him. If she has anything she wants or need to tell you now is the time. If not, begin your search. He may not be a great individual if she felt the need to lie abut it so I'd say not to contact him, but you can research him and find out.

leanntx
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:34 PM
3 moms liked this
More than likely, if she lied then and has continued to do so all these years, then she has a good reason. Before you contact him, sit down with your mom and tell her your thoughts about it, then show her the Facebook photo.
JRSMOM0621
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I would look up the obituaray (sorry for the spelling) and see if there was one. It could be that they came to a mutal decision about him not being in your life or something like that. I would definately ask your mom openly about it.

Mommy to one angel, 1 crazy toddler and 1 on the way!!
USMCWifey2011
by New Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:55 PM
This

Quoting JRSMOM0621:

I would look up the obituaray (sorry for the spelling) and see if there was one. It could be that they came to a mutal decision about him not being in your life or something like that. I would definately ask your mom openly about it.

jamamama00
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I have several friends who have (and still are) lying to their kids about their dad. I think it is very fucked up, no matter what kind of person he is. Send him a friend request?
Chris030406
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Ask them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 4, 2014 at 3:19 PM
Look on the SSDI.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)