Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

tipping do you

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:46 PM
  • 45 Replies
I'm all for tipping. I usually tip atleast 15%. My question is do you tip at say a restaurant like culvers? Went to one today and the guy who brought our food expected a tip. He asked for one. I'm thinking to myself ”ummmmm not sure if that's appropriate”. So am I wrong for not tipping in this situation? Thoughts on this.

UPDATE: culvers is a fast food place. Kind of like McDonalds but they bring your food out to you but that's it you do everything yourself.
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the1stmuslimah
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Of course I tip and no less than 20% or more. Last week I tipped about a dollar over 50% because I felt it was deserved. There have been a few times I have followed customers out side and handed their shitty ass tip back to them and told them if they tip appropriately then I don't want the damn tip at all. Anyone who can't /does not want to tip accordingly does not deserve to go out at all and needs to stay home and provide their own services.

JorJorsMom
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:20 PM
3 moms liked this

Idk what culvers is but asking for a tip is rather rude.  I won't leave tips at dunkin donuts or Starbucks, I think that's ridicules.  But I definitely tip nicely at a sit down restaurant.

ff-princess
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 4:08 AM
2 moms liked this

while I do tip, and tip well since I'm a former server / bartender, I will not tip the culvers workers.  they get at least minimum wage, and tips are not expected in fast food.  for him to have blatantly ask for one would have gotten him reported to the manager on duty.

mindful23
by Maylene on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:51 AM
In Australia its call tipping under the table. I thibk its illegal to tip here.
amberNewman0213
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 6:57 AM
1 mom liked this
If I get good service I leave a good tip. If I get bad service I will not tip.if I get great service I tip quite a bit and let a manager know.

If that happened I would of laughed and offered a piece of gum.
kerryket
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 12:32 PM
We don't have Culvers but do have a Sonic, I do tip for car-side carry out.
psych_mom
by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 12:37 PM

I have no clue what Culvers is. I do tip at restaurants where it is appropriate. We try to always tip well, but if I have crappy service, then I am not leaving a good tip. Why should I pay good if I have to wait 10 minutes for a refil or ask for steak sauce and it never comes? If it is a one time thing and an apology is given, then it can be overlooked, but to get a bad tip, the service has been bad the entire time.

nanny1918
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I tip according to the service. With that being said, I am a big tipper. I'm a single mom and and I'm a nanny by profession I'm always taking care of someone else. So when someone takes care of me, I truly appreciate it.
When my daughter graduated college, I took our friends and family out to dinner. The bill was $400. We had an awesome server. I tipped him a $100 bill. He picked the money up off the table and I saw him walk into the backroom in tears.
This man earned his tip the man at Culvers did not.
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

If it is a sit down restaurant where a server takes your order and brings you your food and drink then we tip 20%.  If it is a fast food joint like McDonalds, then no tipping.  If it is a buffet place, we usually leave a few bucks on the table.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 4, 2014 at 3:39 PM

I'm the same way as amber, except if I was blantantly asked like that, I would say, "really, how about 0", and let the manager know about it.

Quoting amberNewman0213: If I get good service I leave a good tip. If I get bad service I will not tip.if I get great service I tip quite a bit and let a manager know.

If that happened I would of laughed and offered a piece of gum.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN