Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my son has Eczema!?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:58 AM
  • 10 Replies

Mobile Photo

Hes 11 months old and a week ago got red bumps everywhere, a trip to the doctor and it was diagnosed as eczema. Its on his face legs and arms. She gave us steroid ointment to use on the red spots to calm it down and told us ro get a good lotion or vaseline and be prepared to rub him down with it often. She also said to change all the soaps and laundry detergent to perfume free if its going to be on him. It came out of nowhere and I dont undersatnd. None of our families have had it and she said its usually hereditary. I know its not cancer but im still worried about him :( any advice or help would be appreciated.
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomAmy77
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I have bad eczema . I'm sorry . Lotion a lot , very importand with soaps , and make sure your home isn't dry . Mine is always out of control . With I could help . I'm sorry . None of the creams help me 

Mrs.Strickland1
by New Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Both of my daughter's have it. It was worse when they were infants. That's when they needed the strong creams and the bathing routine had to change. It also gets worse in extreme temps whether it's a cold breeze or humidity. Luckily my 7 year old has mostly grown out of it. She is able to use regular soap and as long as she uses lotion immediately after a shower she's good. My two year old still has a couple flare ups a year that require the cream but after a few days they go away. The key in the beginning is no scents which sucks because they don't smell like babies anymore lol and applying lotion immediately after drying off. Good luck!
nurse1997
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Hi momma my son started to get it about your sons age too hugs you will have a journey  to try to control it. First off the dry air gets it worked up so keep that in check. 2 Changing the laundry soap helped a small bit but really tide always worked the best for us and it was just a little cheaper. Clothes will get it worked up by rubbing the skin soft clothes help. Be prepard for stares if it should spread to his face or in summer it will happen if it gets bad ( hugs ) and control the anger because u might hear people talking crap about your baby.  U have to learn to control it. Hopefully it goes away in time  .They make special lotions for eczema now but really I have tried a few and not really much of a difference just make sure u keep lotion on the baby good luck.  My son is 12 now and we have good months and we have flare ups still we roll with it now .Good luck

Kitty_Myrick
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:14 AM

We use this cream from Walgreen's.  It is their store brand and it comes in a jar/tub.  Works well.  A bit on the greasy side but there is no why to get away from that no matter what cram you use and it still work.

happy new year

myempyreofdirt
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:56 AM
Eczema is extremely common, especially in young children. It's possible you have a family history and don't know about it because it can be grown out of. Or sometimes it just happens. Your little one will be just fine. Eczema basically amounts to dry skin. It can be uncomfortable and itchy, but that's about all. I have it and keep it under control with an oatmeal shea body wash. That seems to work for my 1 year old as well. It looks pretty bad in the winter, but we're both totally fine. I highly recommend lotion and soap with oatmeal in them. It helps a lot with the itchiness.
hot_momma633
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:00 PM
my daughter has had eczema since she was a baby. she is 3 now and I have found that coconut oil works wonders! eucerin(spelling?) cream works good to. I also use the aquafor baby wash or dove sensitive skin wash.
SugarrCane
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:17 PM

My son had it at that age as well.  Aveeno oatmeal baths really helped!  You should try that.  It's sold in a box and it comes with packs of oatmeal bath that you sprinkle in their bath water.  Hope this helps.

ff-princess
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 8:33 AM

no one that I'm aware of in my family has eczema.  I didn't have it myself until my mid-30's.  my youngest has it as well.  it also goes hand-in-hand with allergies, so if you have a family history of that it could be coming out this way.

we found an OTC lotion called Dermarest works best for us.  it's very light (not greasy at all!) and soaks right into the skin.  it has hydrocortisone in it which helps clear up the flare-ups within about 48 hours max.  as my little one has gotten older, hers has gotten dramatically better all on its own.  she now only gets a patch occasionally.  though it does pop out at any time - my older dd has never had any problems with it yet this winter she came home from school one day with her face all red and blotchy.  two days of dermarest and it was gone.

m.garcia21
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 9:58 AM
Both of my dd have eczema and i use the aveeno eczema treatment. It works wonders. And really keeps it under control. They have a body wash a lotion and a treatment you put in their bath. Its pricey but well worth it
3JuJu3
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 10:06 AM

My son had it too.  Eucerin worked really well on him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)