Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Support-what would you do?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM
  • 39 Replies
So...I met my significant other in July and ended up pregnant by the end of July. (Extremely fast I know). We both decided we were gonna make it work and keep our baby. Well as much as I would have loved a fairy tale ending it didn't happen. He decided to move back to California. He stated he would buy things and send them but as I stated you don't know what I need or have. Why he left? He felt since things were working out financially and he moved from staying with me to staying with friends he left. He said he is going to come back before she is born. Which Idk how he is going to afford to move back bc thats why he left in the first place...anyway everyone keeps saying to file child support. I didn't know if mothers in my situation tried to first come up with some type of agreement or just file? Mind you right before he left I sent a text asking of we could meet to see how he was going to help me financially and got no response. In fact we haven't talked in almost 2 weeks. What would you do?
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:35 AM
File it.
Secretly101
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:39 AM
So you wouldn't try to reach out anymore? I just don't wanna seem like a woman scourned. Thanks for responding.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:41 AM
I'd call him again & if he doesn't call back soon you should file while you still know how to reach him. Good luck, babies need more than just money from their dad :-/
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I tried working it out also with my x. He would go MIA for days/weeks. So I filed ... So Yes file! if he's willing to move and go days w/o talking he's not going to change when baby comes
Secretly101
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 12:58 AM
I figure he won't change. And I guess I need to try one last time. It's been hard to want to muster up the strength to talk to him. I just have been trying to not deal with him bc I feel he doesn't do anything but make empty promises and it stresses me.
KikiB85
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:10 AM
File
baileymarie723
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 11:51 AM
If he isn't getting back to you than you should just file.
Mom2Kyle03
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I don't think you can file for child support until the baby is born and you prove he is the Father (not saying he isn't), just don't see the courts making someone pay for a child that's not even born. I think you're on your own until the baby is here and you do a paternity test and THEN send him the proper paperwork. Good luck!

charleyangel317
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:27 PM

If he is not having contact with you and he left after you got pregnant I would file. This way it is something legal and set and he can't try to make you feel bad to get lower to suit him.

Kitty_Myrick
by Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Give him an ultimatum.  Start helping with your child or I'll file and just remember the state isn't as understanding as I am.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)