Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taken advantage of?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies
Back in October, an old friend asked if I would be able to babysit her two kids for two weeks while her sitter was on vacation. We haven't been close in years but I really had no problem... It was like a daily play date for my little guy that I didn't have to plan for haha. Anyway, it's about an hour drive to her place and she needed us there for 6:30, so I'd pull my very sleepy toddler out of bed at 5:15 and we'd drive in, and be there for about 12 hours, sometimes more. She had said she couldn't really afford to pay me, so I said if she would pay my gas (a two hour commute, 5 days a week is a lot!!), that would be totally fine. After day 2, she gave me $20 and said that her bf would pay me next time. On day 5, he came in at lunch with $50 but said that he just blew a tire and needed it. On day 10 (the last day), she was almost two hours late without letting me know (it was Friday - I had an at-home date night planned w my DH). She came in and sent the kids upstairs then started crying, telling me about all her stresses, basically deflecting. We talked a bit and then I said it was super late and I was EXHAUSTED (her kids are great but holy crap high energy). I asked her if she happened to have the gas money from the last few weeks. She instantly started going on about how her bf was supposed to have t, he's late, etc, etc. Ok I was tired, my 3yo was tired, we left.

Fast forward to Christmas. She asks me if we want to have a little Christmas shindig, our families. Cool. She even mentions the money she owes me. Cool. She asks if we can do it at my place. Okies. The day of, i slave away in the kitchen (kidding! I made pulled pork lol) and an hour before, she calls and cancels. My mini is in the background yelling that he has presents for her kids (he LOVES to give presents).

So yesterday I get a text asking if we'd like to meet for a late Christmas lunch tomorrow (today). We drive the hour in, get a text as we pull into restaurant that they won't make it and "if you want, you can leave the gifts for my littles on my doorstep! Talk later!".

Even as I wrote it, I feel gullible and silly haha. Anyway, I just thought I'd vent because all this driving and then being taken for a ride is getting frustrating.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Oh man. This one totally took huge advantage of you. I would have written back. Ok, my address is:_____ please mail the gas money we talked about. Talk later!!

Lol what users they are.
EmilyH87
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:19 PM

With that last text I would have lost it. You are more patient with that situation than I would ever be.

CafeMom Tickers
Miss.MandyLynn
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Wow some friend
MethuenMom
by Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 12:31 PM

I'd lose her number!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)