Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding is for the lazy & poor

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 6:49 AM
  • 711 Replies
6 moms liked this
That's basically what my family said to me. I told them I breastfeed and they asked me why not just give him formula in a bottle, and asked if I was that lazy that I couldn't make bottles.

They said since I'm a stay at home mom I don't do anything and making a bottle isn't hard when I'm sitting at home all day. Yeah they really said that.

I cant even begin to... I felt like I was going to explode.

I TRIED to tell then the benefits of breastfeeding (my grandma formula fed all 6 of her kids) my mom weaned my sister off by 4, me off by 2 and my brother at 9 months because she said he made it seem sexual. How does a 9 month old made feeding sexual, I wouldn't know.

They also ridicule me on deciding to do child led weaning and tease my sister for breastfeeding her 3 year old saying he is going to be breastfed on his way to college. It pisses me off so much.

They told me I feed him too much and tried to convince me to give him water at 2 months when he was exclusively breastfed at the time.

I'm just so... uugghhh
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 6:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Purgatorian
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 12:02 PM
192 moms liked this

I don't know what to say that doesn't include a derogatory remark about the intelligence of your family.

So I won't say anything other than, you feed your child how you see fit Mama!

NDADanceMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 12:05 PM
155 moms liked this
Actually from what I've seen the less educated and lower income moms account for the higher percentage of formula babies
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2014 at 12:05 PM
9 moms liked this
I agree

Quoting Purgatorian:

I don't know what to say that doesn't include a derogatory remark about the intelligence of your family.

So I won't say anything other than, you feed your child how you see fit Mama!

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 12:54 PM
31 moms liked this
Well, just let it go. They are ignorant. Tell them to bite it and go on with your life.

Some mother's MUST bottle feed for a number of reasons ( many medical)

Other simply choose it.

Your method of feeding your child is between you and your babe, not theirs.

If they want to drink out a bottle, hand them a Budweiser and walk away. Idiots.
Perle1
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 12:56 PM
16 moms liked this
It makes me so sad/mad when I'm trying to counsel people about breastfeeding and the family does that. At least you had the sense to know they were wrong. A lot of young women do not, and listen to the family. As an aside, I think formula advertising should be severely curtailed.
Rosehawk
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 1:08 PM
16 moms liked this

Yeah, okay, they can kiss my ass. I nursed my other two kinds until they weaned at 9 months, and I will nurse this one too.

No prep needed. There is always enough, no extra. It's always at the perfect temperature, and ready on-demand. I don't have to listen to a screaming, hungry child as I try to het up water, dup in a posder, and hope it all mixes properly.

Lazy my ass. Poor I may be, but.....I'm with you....ugh!

CafeMom Tickers
Hello_kitty2010
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 2:18 PM
You could breastfeed your child all the way until 3???
I had no idea... i believe i took my daughter off by the time she was about to hit 1 years old... i had no idea

Quoting da808gypsy: That's basically what my family said to me. I told them I breastfeed and they asked me why not just give him formula in a bottle, and asked if I was that lazy that I couldn't make bottles.

They said since I'm a stay at home mom I don't do anything and making a bottle isn't hard when I'm sitting at home all day. Yeah they really said that.

I TRIED to tell then the benefits of breastfeeding (my grandma formula fed all 6 of her kids) my mom weaned my sister off by 4, me off by 2 and my brother at 9 months because she said he made it seem sexual. How does a 9 month old made feeding sexual, I wouldn't know.

They also ridicule me on deciding to do child led weaning and tease my sister for breastfeeding her 3 year old saying he is going to be breastfed on his way to college. It pisses me off so much.

They told me I feed him too much and tried to convince me to give him water at 2 months when he was exclusively breastfed at the time.

I'm just so... uugghhh
LDavis33
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 2:39 PM
27 moms liked this

Unfortunately, I doubt you'll change their opinion, so it is probably best to ignore them and just continue doing right by your little one.

That being said, to be perfectly honest, a small part of the reason I EBF both of my kids was because I was too "lazy" to get up in the middle of the night and heat a bottle.  I'd rather just snuggle and nurse my little one in my cozy bed.  And of course, while this didn't influence my decision, formula is freakin' expensive and breastmilk is free!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2014 at 2:56 PM
5 moms liked this
Are you being serious right now?

Quoting Hello_kitty2010: You could breastfeed your child all the way until 3???

I had no idea... i believe i took my daughter off by the time she was about to hit 1 years old... i had no idea

Quoting da808gypsy: That's basically what my family said to me. I told them I breastfeed and they asked me why not just give him formula in a bottle, and asked if I was that lazy that I couldn't make bottles.

I'm just so... uugghhh
corpswife523
by Krystal on Jan. 26, 2014 at 3:02 PM
21 moms liked this
Lazy??? Formula feeding is easier!!!

I breast feed and I'm only at 3 weeks and its been so complicated!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)