Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leave the dog alone!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
My dd is 7. She's beyond smart for her age...but some how she can't follow one simple direction when it comes to the freaking dog. Leave him alone....! She use to be afraid of dogs and now she is obviously not. He let's her do whatever to him. He really has got a great temperament especially with children. But omg....she is constantly in his face. If he's sleeping she has to cover him with his blanket. She lays on him. He often tries to lay on my lap and she will get up n come closer to me so he lays on her. He's double her weight I'd prefer she not lay under him....we took him for shots this past weekend bc we want to be able to boars him at the end of the month so we can visit family....he got the one up his nose. He for whatever reason just been sneezing alot since he got it. I keep asking her to just stay out of his face and leave his face alone. She doesn't listen. She stops for 5mins and she's right back to it. I LOVE him to death he's my baby. ..and I'm so glad she's not afraid of dogs anymore and that she loves him just as much. But God damn! Let him be! I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself when I shouldn't have to at all.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amandacr1026
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:32 PM

theres just something about dogs and kids... My daughter is one and she used to mess with the dogs all the time.. always picking at them. Then one day one of them snapped at her. didn't get her or anything. Just scared her. but it was enough for the dog to tell her "this is my space and go away". Now she still messes with them occasionally but its not constant anymore.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 3:43 PM
He's never snapped at her...he won't even snap at the cat when the cats got his claws in him lol only thing he's ever snapped at is my vacuum lol and oddly enough my snow shovel.

I say it to her just to warn her but it falls on deaf ears.One day he could..just fustrating.

Quoting amandacr1026:

theres just something about dogs and kids... My daughter is one and she used to mess with the dogs all the time.. always picking at them. Then one day one of them snapped at her. didn't get her or anything. Just scared her. but it was enough for the dog to tell her "this is my space and go away". Now she still messes with them occasionally but its not constant anymore.

amandacr1026
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:43 PM

yeah I understand.. Just gotta deal... as she gets older maybe she'll learn..

Quoting Anonymous: He's never snapped at her...he won't even snap at the cat when the cats got his claws in him lol only thing he's ever snapped at is my vacuum lol and oddly enough my snow shovel.

I say it to her just to warn her but it falls on deaf ears.One day he could..just fustrating.

Quoting amandacr1026:

~Amanda~lesbians

JTE11
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

DD gets into these phases where she is hanging all over the cats and won't leave them alone so I shut them in another room. I tell her the cats are in time out and can come out later, and then she gets time out for not listening to me. If I bring them out again and she is the same, back they go and so does she. Maybe the dog needs to go somewhere else, a back bedroom, the laundry room, the porch if it's warm, the garage. Or even gate him off in a different part of the house. If you tell her to leave the dog alone and she doesn't listen, there should be some kind of consequences for that. It's great that he has such a good temperament, but if she is at someone else's house and tries to lay all over their dog or messes with it's face she is likely to get bitten so she needs to learn to repect an animal's space. Trust me, I feel your frustration. SOme days it's like a circus in here with DD and the cats going in circles all day. I have super well-behaved cats but DD need to know when someone says STOP to leave the animal alone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2014 at 5:13 PM
He will whine if he gets locked away. Even if i put him in my bedroom with df who is sleeping he would whine. Good thing is she is still cautious with other people's dogs. There's still that lil bit of fear....usually small dogs lol she hates the barking. But she gets in trouble for it all the time.....Next week her baby brother will be here n I sure I'll wish she was hovering over the dog llol

Quoting JTE11:

DD gets into these phases where she is hanging all over the cats and won't leave them alone so I shut them in another room. I tell her the cats are in time out and can come out later, and then she gets time out for not listening to me. If I bring them out again and she is the same, back they go and so does she. Maybe the dog needs to go somewhere else, a back bedroom, the laundry room, the porch if it's warm, the garage. Or even gate him off in a different part of the house. If you tell her to leave the dog alone and she doesn't listen, there should be some kind of consequences for that. It's great that he has such a good temperament, but if she is at someone else's house and tries to lay all over their dog or messes with it's face she is likely to get bitten so she needs to learn to repect an animal's space. Trust me, I feel your frustration. SOme days it's like a circus in here with DD and the cats going in circles all day. I have super well-behaved cats but DD need to know when someone says STOP to leave the animal alone.

JTE11
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 6:04 PM

You're probably right about the hovering, lol!  And a little bit of fear in this case may be a good thing, it could keep her cautious.

Quoting Anonymous: He will whine if he gets locked away. Even if i put him in my bedroom with df who is sleeping he would whine. Good thing is she is still cautious with other people's dogs. There's still that lil bit of fear....usually small dogs lol she hates the barking. But she gets in trouble for it all the time.....Next week her baby brother will be here n I sure I'll wish she was hovering over the dog llol

Quoting JTE11:

jb0520
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:31 PM
She needs like a tone frame to play with the dog and to leave him alone. She's got to be driving him nuts. I say she has an hour in the morning 9-10 and an hour in the evening 6-7 to play with the dog
mollymolly
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Please talk to her (if you haven't already) about how she can't do that with every dog she encounters.  Getting in a dog's face is a good way to be bitten, as they consider that a challenging mood.  I mean, probably most dogs wouldn't bite someone for doing that, but some will.  

Other than that, maybe you could put her in charge of some aspects of the dog's care: feeding him, for example.  Maybe you could talk to her about what dogs like and don't like just for educational purposes.  

ff-princess
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:29 AM

it almost sounds like you're living in my house, but substitute "dog" for "cat".  we rescued a kitten in September, and the two little ones haven't left that poor thing alone since she walked out of her carrier.  wanting to pick her up and carry her around, giving hugs that are a bit rougher than a cat generally likes, chasing her through the house, finding her wherever she's sleeping and bugging her.  damn, they're too old for this at 5 & 6 but they just don't seem to get it no matter how many times a day daddy and I tell them to leave her alone and no matter how many times she scratches or bites them. 

the only thing I can come up with is that they are just so enamored with her that they forget and "love" her too much.  she spends a great deal of their waking time hiding behind my dresser or the lower level, where they can't get to her. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 8, 2014 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this

The child should get one warning.  Then if she does it again, there ought to be a consequence.  Telling her 10 times but never imposing any consequence sends the message that it's not important for her to really stop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)