Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Death...Dying...and Our Moral Decay

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:37 PM
  • 8 Replies
2 moms liked this

We have lost nearly all value for human life; maybe this is because death is so “normal”. You turn your T.V. on; the news and every gossip-queen television show host is raging about the latest celebrity death, the most recent school shooting, or the hot new story about the guy who killed his girlfriend before turning the gun on himself. How gorgeous. It does not stop there though. You get your morning cup of coffee, sit down at your computer to check your emails and funnies on social media and what pops up on your homepage? This person died, that person almost died, but hey, they lost a leg in the most gruesome way possible – here, watch the video! On to social media where everyone’s business is sprayed up on their viral wall and our consciences and souls are slowly melting away.

The word “dead” does not make us sad anymore; or reflective or even sorry for the loss of LIFE. Your own death is not even yours anymore; it’s ours, it’s Facebook’s, it’s some dude that does not even know who you are or what you did – just that you died and there just might be some crazy footage on the inter-webs.

Suicide, abortion, murder, assisted suicide...we either commit or endulge. Why is this happening?? We euthanize "unwanted" animals and throw them into a pile when shelters become too crowded...is this what it will evolve into when nursing homes become over crowded with "unwanted" terminally ill people??? Aborted babies are ground into powder and used in pills over in China (look it up!!), or thrown in the trash...someone is threatening suicide and we pull our damn phones out to record the poor schmuck! SHAME on us! Where has the compassion gone? It is no wonder I struggle with depression DAILY...it has nothing to do with my "daddy issues" or my personal problems...it's the rest of the people in this shitty world!

I digress.

by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this

True.But the thing to strive for is to NOT be like the rest of the people in this shitty world.Hold onto your compassion.

Be a lone wolf,if you have to,and not one of the sheeple.

Purgatorian
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 1:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Bring it in closer to home. No more newspapers, t.v. news, computer news, ditch the social media world and center your life around those close to you. Volunteer locally and then work outwards.

Peace from within before peace for the world.
lulalacroix
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 4:56 AM

Death and Dying was a required course in our senior year of catholic high school.

jjames1990
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 5:06 AM
I do not think this is a new concept. The book with the most killing, death and tragedy is the Bible. People have always had a lack of respect for human life, any life.

I myself, refuse to surround myself and my family with it. We do not watch the news, my home page is just goggle and on FB I block all news and drama people. Here, I avoid any posts that are depressing.

Hell, on our tv, when it is on, which is rarely, we watch cartoons. Lol
momto3B
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:34 AM

Acutally, there is more value for human life globally then there has ever been in the history of the world.  It may seem like less because many of us now have higher standards and expectations, we also have endless social/media access to know what is going on. 

The Roman Forum, Public Hangings, the Inquisition, Salem Witch Trials, Slavery just to name a few...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 6, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I agree. Being able to connect with millions of people anywhere in the world at any moment has really dulled our senses with the sheer amount of negativity that comes to us. However, nobody controls your outlook except you. Do what you have to to retain the attitude you think is important in life. I don't do Facebook or Instagram, no social media. I get my news from sources I choose and I filter the images and messages that come to me. Some people truly are losing touch with what is important in life, including life itself...actual life, not the artificial life of social media and the internet, but you don't have to be one of them. ;)

WTFidkU
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM
I do not have Facebook or Twitter or insta-anything lol I just joined this last night because my mom has been a member since 05 and she is always telling me about it. but I watch the news. I want to be informed on what's going on in the world... but hearing about who died and how and all that is just frustrating.

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. Being able to connect with millions of people anywhere in the world at any moment has really dulled our senses with the sheer amount of negativity that comes to us. However, nobody controls your outlook except you. Do what you have to to retain the attitude you think is important in life. I don't do Facebook or Instagram, no social media. I get my news from sources I choose and I filter the images and messages that come to me. Some people truly are losing touch with what is important in life, including life itself...actual life, not the artificial life of social media and the internet, but you don't have to be one of them. ;)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Yes, I agree. It's seems it's not enough to just report the deaths, they have to sensationalize it. I think that with SO many news sources out there these days they feel they have to jump up and down and make a big deal out of every little story, even deaths, unfortunately.

Quoting WTFidkU: I do not have Facebook or Twitter or insta-anything lol I just joined this last night because my mom has been a member since 05 and she is always telling me about it. but I watch the news. I want to be informed on what's going on in the world... but hearing about who died and how and all that is just frustrating.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)