Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Before I Do

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:44 PM
  • 4 Replies
I was 3 months preg when my sons father left me. My sons father is samoan & I am latina. My son is now 5 & yes he looks more like samoan than latino. My son does not know that he is half samoan & he does not know anything about his real father. I know that when he is older i will have to tell him the truth about his biological father & that he is half samoan, but i often wonder if his future friends or someone will ask him if he is samoan or say that he looks samoan before i get to tell him the truth. Ioften wonder if he will have samoan friends and that they will point out to him of how much he looks samoan then me seeing him come home and question me if we have samoan in our blood! I often wonder if this will happen when he is in elementary or high school. I want to tell him the truth when he is at least 18...maybe 20. Any one else been through these thoughts that are going through my head?
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:20 PM

I have not been through that but are there many samoan ppl where you live? im not sure that i would be able to point one out.....however i think that he will find out way before 18 or 20. realistically you should sit him down and try to explain now...thats just my thoughts though...and if not now then within the next few yrs....

TAG9lbs
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:31 PM

I don't have much experience in this situation. I do think you should always be honest when your child asks about their biological father. I also have only seen children really interested in their biological dad around age 9. 

Imo it doesn't matter the child's ethnic origin unless your location cares about the child's background or when they do family trees in school. Other than that I say he is in the melting pot that is our world. 

Mrs.LeftBrainer
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:33 PM
There are samoans here but not many... Its like they are rare lol! Yeah in the back of my mind i figured he would find out before his late teens too. Isn't he too young to know these things?

Quoting Anonymous:

I have not been through that but are there many samoan ppl where you live? im not sure that i would be able to point one out.....however i think that he will find out way before 18 or 20. realistically you should sit him down and try to explain now...thats just my thoughts though...and if not now then within the next few yrs....

Mrs.LeftBrainer
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Of corse i will be honest with him when he ask's me the question. Thank you for your reply.

Quoting TAG9lbs:

I don't have much experience in this situation. I do think you should always be honest when your child asks about their biological father. I also have only seen children really interested in their biological dad around age 9. 

Imo it doesn't matter the child's ethnic origin unless your location cares about the child's background or when they do family trees in school. Other than that I say he is in the melting pot that is our world. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)