Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dinner time frustrations

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:05 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi. I am new to cafe mom and this is my first post in this group. I need to know if this happens to anyone else an  What if anything you guys do about it. I am a sahm of two girls (ages 9 and 6) and a husband who might as well be a kid. Every evening without fail, I cook, I fix all their plates and drinks, and by the time I sit down to eat they have all finished an  left the table and I am left sitting there, eating alone. Tonight we had a family Valentine's day. I even said no one eats til we are all sitting together....they still finished before me and one by one left. My husband is almost always the first to finish and get up and the kids follow suit. This upsets me. Am I being over dramatic? Suggestions?

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lulalacroix
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 4:07 AM
2 moms liked this

No, you aren't being overdramatic.  You just need to change how you serve dinner.  Put all the plates and food on the table.  Call everyone in to sit down and then serve their plates.  My kids aren't allowed to leave the table until they are excused.  My dh is respectful enough not to leave until everyone is done eating.  Our meal time is a lot of fun and a great time for us to enjoy each other.

schultzal
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 4:36 AM
2 moms liked this
No one leaves the table until we are all done, in my family. That's how it was when I was growing up, and how it will continue to be.
nanny1918
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you spoken to your husband about this ? Why don't you have your children help serve the food and your husband get the drinks, so you all sit down to the table at the same time.
Rhodin
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 10:53 PM
2 moms liked this
Serve yourself, start eating, and when they all give you looks, tell them that they know where the food is. Then leave real fast and get the best seat on the couch and leave DH to clean up. Ha.
teaandcookies
by Katherine on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Put the pots on the table, Have your oldest set the table, while youngest puts the cutlery and napkins have your husband set the glasses and get the drinks.  Once everyone is seatted at the table searve a little bit at a time.  that way everyone eats together at the same time.

A family that eats together stays together

proudmomtiff86
by New Member on Feb. 16, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Yeah, I have mentioned it before. He says what's the point in just sitting there if he's done :/

Quoting nanny1918: Have you spoken to your husband about this ? Why don't you have your children help serve the food and your husband get the drinks, so you all sit down to the table at the same time.

LDavis33
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 12:54 PM

It's a standing rule in my house that no one starts eating until everyone is seated and that no one leaves the table until everyone is finished eating.  Tell your DH how you feel and ask him if he would support you in making this a household rule.

WesternNYmom
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 5:01 PM

This happens to me all the time too. I spend so much time getting my kids plates and drinks ready, that by the time I actually get to sit down and eat, my food is practically cold.   I am also lucky if I can start eating before my kids start asking for more food or another glass of milk.  Another thing that annoys me is that the phone starts ringing off the hook around this time, and my husband pesters me until I go and see who is calling.  I usually end up eating alone as well. Drives me crazy.  If I don't nag they will also leave their dirty dishes on the table for me to take care of as well.  I now have a rule that we eat as a family on the weekends. The phone is ignored and if anyone comes to the door, unless they are expected, we don't answer it.

chickadees
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 5:46 PM

1.  Serve yourself first and then have them serve themselves.

2.  No one leaves the table until you are done...it's plain rude.

3.  There are not exceptions to the above rules.

3xangel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM
Start serving yourself first or alternate who's the server every night. I serve my children and husband first and then myself, but we still have time to eat together. I'm almost always the first one done, followed by my dd, dh & ds are always the last two eating (they eat soooo slow).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)