Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

count down to being homeless

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM
  • 24 Replies

for a month straight we have been getting our daughter excited to go to disney world for her 4th birthday we even bought her outfits and spent money we normally would on rent on reservations and tickets it was gonna but it was gonna be alright because we were getting almost 10 thousand back in taxes. We had a pretty tight year 18 months and had to skip the past two christmases or rather only spend fifty dollars total so we decided to do it big for her to make up for the crappy year and a half.

Once the money refund was approved by the irs we as a family already spent the money in our heads but yeasturday when i go online to check our bank accout because it was the big refund money spending day. i find 323 dollars pending in our account. After tears and four hours of trying to find out why we are redirected to the Veterans Administration (dh was going to school but had to drop out after the second week the va payed for it and he started classes after the drop date)

They told us they took the money and we asked why they didnt tell us we owed in december when we called them or why they didnt send us out a letter telling us we owed them money and they said "we arent obligated to inform you" and "if you called us before it went to collections then we may have been able to do somthing for you but we wont now"

WTF what do you mean you dont have to tell us and we did call you in december assholes

now not only are we not able to catch up on bills but i have to destroy my daughters hopes and dreams that we've been speending over a month bulding up

FML

Not to mention rents due thein a week and we already spent half the money 

Fu va and Fu me for not seeing this comming count down to being homless  14 days

(my apt kicks you out after being 1 week late)

Edit: yea i get that i should have waited till the money came in to spend it but the thing is we had no idea that we owed any one money and especially since we called the etrans administration and they flat out told us two months ago we dont owe them anything so once the irs adcepted our return we figured we were good. And the reason we got so much back is because my Husband got out of the army early last year and couldnt work so i had too and im not yet finished with my nursing degree.

i m not lazy i work two jobs and go to school also i didnt know fl cost of living was twice where we prevoiusly were when we moved and dh said it would be ok any way cause the VA would pay him to go to school.

i get that it was my fault but we saw that money and were like yes we are finaly able to breath. 

by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VinVanMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:35 PM

A friend of mine had hers taken too. So rough. I wish you luck. 

Morrigan333
by on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Jeez!  How much is your monthly rent and how much do you have towards it? Maybe you can go to a Social Services office (here in Md (different areas) you can get EMERGENCY services for like rent/or shut-off bills from Human services.  Also try the Churches around, they might be able to help you out, maybe you could tell them you'd be willing to volunteer in exchange for some temporary help.

aurorabear
by Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:45 PM

How did you find out what happened to it?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:46 PM

are you serious right now? that's why you wait until the money is in the bank before making those epxensive plans, and um pay your rent on time maybe?

jslpruitt
by Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM

I had mine taken also, I am sorry. I didnt know it was going to be taken either, they informed me of the same well its already in collections cant make arragements now.

TheWorried1
by New Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Are U my daughter? Please always 1st pay the rent. Then bills, food, and anything left could be saved. I know it's hard. My daughters, baby daddy, they filed 2gether, cause his mom said 2.  They got nothing back because he had unpaid school loans! Grr. So she paid for his schooling. The big mess is he's not even using the "massage therapy" diploma because he's NOWdiscovered he doesn't like to touch other peoples' skin! WTF? So is there a mom or dads house u can stay at?   Maybe borrow a months rent from?  Otherwise, U will be out on the street. How about joining a church and asking them 4 help? They (the churches) do that around here. Pay electric bills and such. Just pray. I'll keep u in my thoughts and prayers. Peace

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:55 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 21, 2014 at 1:59 PM
if you worked as well, you may be able to file an injured spouse claim and at least get back some of the money.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 21, 2014 at 2:35 PM

what state are you all from?? ive had a very large student loan in collections for a few yrs now and never had my money taken away......?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 21, 2014 at 2:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Shouldn't have spent the money before you had it.  That is just bad life management.  Always pay bills before going for the fun stuff.  It's not the fun way to do things but it is the right way.  Good luck getting things back in order.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)