Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

She is hurting my nephew...*UPDATE IN RED!*

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:27 PM
  • 728 Replies
1 mom liked this

My nephew was born April 30th (full-term) just 4 days shy of his due date. He weighed just over 6lbs. He had to stay in the hospital a couple extra days due to the fact that he couldn't keep his food down and he was constantly upset. He was switched to sensitive formula and sent home. While being home he doesn't eat as much as he should and he gets constipated, he has colic and still has a hard time keeping his food down. He is a little jaundice (very little). He doesn't digest his food properly. I asked my sister in law if she has told the doctor about smoking throughout the entire pregnancy and she says no, it's none of his business. Everything that is going on with the baby is a gastrointestinal issue and GI issues can be caused by nicotene dependecy/poison in infants. She screwed up and now she won't admit it...

(Before you start asking she says that she won't breastfeed or pump because she wants to be able to drink her wine and still smoke cigarettes)

My brother's girlfriend is 7 months pregnant with my nephew and she smokes cigarettes every day several times a day. I have told her numerous times about the negative effects smoking can have on her baby. She just doesn't care. I have even gone as far as physically removing the cigarette from her mouth and throwing it down. I don't smoke so I don't know about the addiction...

She claims that her doctor told her that if she stopped it would be bad for the baby since she smoked before she got pregnant. Bullshit.

Has anyone heard of anything like that?

by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:29 PM
6 moms liked this
I've heard some say that, but I'm not sure how much truth there is to it. Chances are she's an addict . In which case no matter what you say, she won't stop.
Mrs_Velez
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:39 PM

I can't even be around her. It makes me furious.

JRSMOM0621
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:45 PM
4 moms liked this

um I am not sure if it applies to smoking but with caffeine if you stop during pregnancy chances are that your baby will go with drawls as well as yourself.

Proud mommy of 1 special angel and 2 boys :-) I am love animals, dogs & horses are my favorites. I am the kind of person that you would consider weird and that is okay by me :D I am interested in the why of things not just the how. I also ask the most random questions like why is it considered littering when it is biodegradable?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:50 PM
68 moms liked this
I don't condone her smoking, but you grabbing a cigarette out of her mouth I would consider assault. Its her choice. You informed her. That is all you can do. Different doctors have different opinions so what she may be telling you may be what she is told. Its none of your business. If you don't like it you don't have to be around her.
greenlove2013
by Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Her baby may or may not have birth defects. I say leave her alone.
Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I have heard it is bad for baby to just quite cold turkey
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:57 PM
26 moms liked this

not all babies are born with problems from a smoking mom. My mom smoked with 3 or her 5 kids and we are all fine.

ive heard of lower birth weight but thats about all. We were all over 6lbs and full term.

if you ever got in my face and took something out of my mouth id call the cops and have you arrested for assult. 

you gave her the info you had, her doc is telling her something else. my doc said because i drink coffee i can cut down but cannot cut out because id harm my baby. so maybe her doc said the same. mind your own business. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:58 PM
5 moms liked this

Yes that is true it could have negative effectson the baby if he stops cold turkey but she shouldhve wean hrelf off by 7months. i was a smoker b4 getting pergo and that is wat my drsaid i did wean myself off by month 3

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 26, 2014 at 2:59 PM
27 moms liked this
How old is she? Are you planning on monitoring her parenting as well? What if she uses the "wrong" diapers? Or -dare I say-formula feeds?? Lay off or I'm sure you'll lose the chance of a relationship with your nephew, you made her aware of the risks. However grabbing anything from someone is assault and I personally would've not taken that lightly...
NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 26, 2014 at 3:04 PM
11 moms liked this

I personally think its terrible.  I think she puts herself before her child obviously.  Its gross, its nasty, it does not bode well for her ablity to parent...... BUT its her kid and her body.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)