Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Do your kids know how to handle someone different. ?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies

My daughter was born with a rare skin condition it is basically a HUGE mole that covers her lower body like swim shorts and its brown and hairy. And well I haven't had any adults be rude about it. Kids are pretty rude I have only had a few encounters but my support group is always talking about how a kid said OH you look so dirty with that mark. Why do you have ugly marks. You look like you rubbed poop on yourself. I had a 8-10 year old at a pool not long ago give each other weird looks and than look at her and shake their heads in disgust. And their parents just watched it.. I always correct my kids and talk to them about handling those situation. WHY does it seem like its not something many parents do. I would be beyond embarrassed if my child was rude like that to someone. And that is before I had my daughter. I just take that behavior as a direct parenting flaw.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 1, 2014 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 1, 2014 at 4:35 PM

BUMP!

Starlit_Eyes
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD has asked me something along the likes of "why does she lok like that" about someone who has albinism. I somply told her her skins a lil different that's all and tried to explain it to her in easy details. Her response "oh. okay. can we go play wih them outside?" Thankfully shes just curious instead of disrespectful!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 1, 2014 at 7:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think that sounds disrespectful, My own children ask and wonder, that is what kids do. Its when they point and stare and make disgusted looks or make mean comments. I also see a lot of people shhh their child when they ask what is on her..I wish they would just say I don't know do you want to go ask and I would gladly answer and I think most  people would. People want to be understood not judged.

Quoting Starlit_Eyes:

My DD has asked me something along the likes of "why does she lok like that" about someone who has albinism. I somply told her her skins a lil different that's all and tried to explain it to her in easy details. Her response "oh. okay. can we go play wih them outside?" Thankfully shes just curious instead of disrespectful!

baconade
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
My DD isn't old enough to realize when someone else is a little different from her. But when she is I'm definitely going to try to instill in her to treat everyone the same and not be so rude and careless towards them. No one is perfect, and she better not act like she is. I'm sorry people have been so rude momma :/
Starlit_Eyes
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 7:23 PM

So far neither of them have been disrespectful of people with "differences" but I try my best to explain it so they understand that every ones the same yet very unique. I love children innocence!

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think that sounds disrespectful, My own children ask and wonder, that is what kids do. Its when they point and stare and make disgusted looks or make mean comments. I also see a lot of people shhh their child when they ask what is on her..I wish they would just say I don't know do you want to go ask and I would gladly answer and I think most  people would. People want to be understood not judged.

Quoting Starlit_Eyes:

Linda733
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 7:26 PM

I agree. I would never allow my son to be rude like that. My son has PDD NOS so he's different already but very special. I don't think my son would even notice but if he did I would make sure I raise him to be accepting of those who are different. It's a shame that kids can be so cruel and I do believe its a parents job to teach their children that people are different and teach them compassion. Also, even though they are different they are still people and should be treated with kindness and respect. I pray all my work now will pay off later with my little guy :) 

mollymolly
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 7:30 PM

I agree with you.  I think that too many parents today are not teaching their kids to be kind to their peers, period.  They're afraid that they'll be too involved if they teach this, or else they believe that the kids should "work it out for themselves."  I think it's awful that the parents didn't do anything at the pool.  But then again, maybe they had a discussion with their child about it after they left.  I wouldn't want to talk about it right in front of the little girl if I were in their shoes.  

amylovesnick07
by Member on Mar. 1, 2014 at 7:31 PM
2 moms liked this
My 7 year old DD is as sweet as can be. We were at a hospital cause she had seizures so we had to take her to see a neurologist. While we were waiting there was a guy in the military and most of his body was burned pretty bad. My DD was 4 at the time. She walked right up to him and said hi how are you? And just talked to him the whole time we were in the waiting room. You could tell it made his day. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 2, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Well she is only 2 so she wouldn't have known. But I do talk to them right there. I find it awkward if people whisper and walk away , that is why I say something right there Most adults especially but even children that have lived with something their whole life are aware people notice. And would rather just be asked. Instead of almost being a side show.. A normal person doesn't like when they know people are talking about them.

Quoting mollymolly:

I agree with you.  I think that too many parents today are not teaching their kids to be kind to their peers, period.  They're afraid that they'll be too involved if they teach this, or else they believe that the kids should "work it out for themselves."  I think it's awful that the parents didn't do anything at the pool.  But then again, maybe they had a discussion with their child about it after they left.  I wouldn't want to talk about it right in front of the little girl if I were in their shoes.  

thefiregoddess
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2014 at 12:17 PM
I have a birth mark on my index finger that even adults ask if it's shit.

Like really?

My near kiddo wouldn't care. She would say hey you ok? Yeah? Wanna play? And that's it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)