Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

I find this offensive...anyone else?

Posted by   + Show Post

I live in a small town. The school district has decided to place pictures of animals on their busses so that the smaller kids that cannot read numbers know which bus is theirs For example bus 123-Cat or Bus 321-Dog...

This morning I was at a redlight and I see a short bus (the bus used to transport the handicap and special needs children) and the picture of the animal is a fucking TURTLE! Now I don't know if this was intentional but I found that to be extremely offensive towards special needs...

(I worked for the state training special needs adults and evaluating behaviors so this is offensive to me and I think it should be removed, it's rude.)

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Replies (11-20):
MrsErdos2011
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:46 AM
21 moms liked this
Yes turtles are slow but it's not demented. Turtles live to be hundreds of years old and have very few natural predators. Do you have any idea how many obstacles they have to face and overcome in their lifetimes?

Quoting Mrs_Velez:

Turtles are considered "slow".

Having a turtle as the mascot for a special needs bus is kind of demented.

Quoting Steph84FL: I don't get it. I like turtles.

Mrs_Velez
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Did you not see the part where I said I've worked with adults with special needs. I've been around adults and children all my life with special needs or disabilities...

Quoting MrsErdos2011: Yes turtles are slow but it's not demented. Turtles live to be hundreds of years old and have very few natural predators. Do you have any idea how many obstacles they have to face and overcome in their lifetimes?
Quoting Mrs_Velez:

Steph84FL
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:49 AM
25 moms liked this
I agree. I've always thought of turtles to be wise. And bad ass ninja fighting pizza lovin turtles as well.

Quoting MrsErdos2011: Yes turtles are slow but it's not demented. Turtles live to be hundreds of years old and have very few natural predators. Do you have any idea how many obstacles they have to face and overcome in their lifetimes?

Quoting Mrs_Velez:

Mrs_Velez
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Quoting awesomemommy2: So in your opinion any one with any type of special needs should have no association with turtles?

Not at all what I said.

coleysmama
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:52 AM
7 moms liked this
I have no issue with it unlessI knew it was intentional and malicious.
My son takes the medical bus and he loves turtles. He would be thrilled...lol
Steph84FL
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:55 AM
13 moms liked this
Ok...then ask yourself this. When you worked with these people did you think of them as turtles?!? You keep coming back to the fact that you've worked with special need children's be adults. Is there something about their mannerisms that remind YOU of turtles. Because I don't get it.

If you think back to Asoep's fable His ass won the race. I can not for the life of me think of any book/move that portrayed turtles as dumb. Maybe in Nemo...But everybody loves Crush and the itty bitty one (Can't remember his name).

Quoting Mrs_Velez:

Did you not see the part where I said I've worked with adults with special needs. I've been around adults and children all my life with special needs or disabilities...

Quoting Mrs_Velez:

Mrs_Velez
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM
5 moms liked this

I called the transportation department and they have received many other complaints of this and are looking into assigning another animal. I recommended that they go to the schools asking the SpEd children what their favorite animal is and then assign the most liked one to the bus for them that way they feel as if they are being heard. Kid's need that kind of support. I dealt with adults that were forced into an institution by their parents because they didn't want to deal with them as children. If you have seen the things I have or heard what these adults went through as children then you'd be upset about it as well. They get called so many names on a daily basis, fighting for their life because people think they are a disgrace. I have counseled so many adults that have been through rape, and other forms of abuse just because they were not able to speak up for themselves because they were not taught that as children. Now all of you are acting as if you don't know that one of the insults these children hear on a daily basis is "slow", now do you honestly think that children that hear that they are "slow" want to ride on a bus that is portrayed by a "slow" animal. That is like a slap in the face for them. Don't sit there at your computer and lecture me about how far i'm looking into this because I actually care about these kids and someone needs to speak out for them.

motherslove82
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM
5 moms liked this
Turtles are awesome! I'm sure there are some preople who would object to being on the dog, cow, or pig bus too. You are reading too much into it. I doubt it was intentional
motherslove82
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:05 AM
12 moms liked this
You are "speaking for them" when you haven't even spoken to them. You have no idea if they are bothered by this or if they have even noticed. What if you pointing it out is the thing that makes them notice and feel bad?

Quoting Mrs_Velez:

I called the transportation department and they have received many other complaints of this and are looking into assigning another animal. I recommended that they go to the schools asking the SpEd children what their favorite animal is and then assign the most liked one to the bus for them that way they feel as if they are being heard. Kid's need that kind of support. I dealt with adults that were forced into an institution by their parents because they didn't want to deal with them as children. If you have seen the things I have or heard what these adults went through as children then you'd be upset about it as well. They get called so many names on a daily basis, fighting for their life because people think they are a disgrace. I have counseled so many adults that have been through rape, and other forms of abuse just because they were not able to speak up for themselves because they were not taught that as children. Now all of you are acting as if you don't know that one of the insults these children hear on a daily basis is "slow", now do you honestly think that children that hear that they are "slow" want to ride on a bus that is portrayed by a "slow" animal. That is like a slap in the face for them. Don't sit there at your computer and lecture me about how far i'm looking into this because I actually care about these kids and someone needs to speak out for them.

Mrs_Velez
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

If it were a bus to fat camp i'd probably object to it being a cow or pig, maybe even an elephant but that isn't the case.

Quoting motherslove82: Turtles are awesome! I'm sure there are some preople who would object to being on the dog, cow, or pig bus too. You are reading too much into it. I doubt it was intentional

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)