Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

I find this offensive...anyone else?

Posted by   + Show Post

I live in a small town. The school district has decided to place pictures of animals on their busses so that the smaller kids that cannot read numbers know which bus is theirs For example bus 123-Cat or Bus 321-Dog...

This morning I was at a redlight and I see a short bus (the bus used to transport the handicap and special needs children) and the picture of the animal is a fucking TURTLE! Now I don't know if this was intentional but I found that to be extremely offensive towards special needs...

(I worked for the state training special needs adults and evaluating behaviors so this is offensive to me and I think it should be removed, it's rude.)

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Replies (31-40):
aidensmomma508
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I like turtles my son has autism I don't think it's offensive

thefiregoddess
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this
I think you're over reacting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:19 AM
No
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:19 AM
2 moms liked this
It took me like 3 minutes to even figure out how it could be offensive. I think it was an honest mistake, but it is a quite humorous mistake (if you have that sense of humor)
aandt1999
by New Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:19 AM

My son is special needs. I don't think anything was meant by it. It doesn't offend me. And to my son, it would just be a turtle anyway. 

Aoife_Of_2
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:19 AM
I kinda agree with you on that. I did giggle though. My boys ride the dog bus. Which think is funny because of all the dogs we have. At Grandmas they ride the swan bus with the high schoolers who are nicer than the elementary kids on their dog bus. Weird

Maybe they need a tiger or lion. Something with power to encourage them that are just as powerful.
SweetOrangeMama
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:19 AM
3 moms liked this
I worked in a special needs preschool room for over 3 years & would not find that offensive. What about the tortoise & the hare story? The tortoise kept on trying & won the race. Instead of getting upset think of it as either just a cute animal for the bus or as an animal that can encourage them to keep trying.
OMGLasersPOWPOW
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:19 AM
3 moms liked this

Omg this is the most ridiculous thing I've heard all day.  

Erin_Mom
by New Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Squirt

Quoting Steph84FL: Ok...then ask yourself this. When you worked with these people did you think of them as turtles?!? You keep coming back to the fact that you've worked with special need children's be adults. Is there something about their mannerisms that remind YOU of turtles. Because I don't get it.

If you think back to Asoep's fable His ass won the race. I can not for the life of me think of any book/move that portrayed turtles as dumb. Maybe in Nemo...But everybody loves Crush and the itty bitty one (Can't remember his name).

Quoting Mrs_Velez:

Did you not see the part where I said I've worked with adults with special needs. I've been around adults and children all my life with special needs or disabilities...

Quoting MrsErdos2011: Yes turtles are slow but it's not demented. Turtles live to be hundreds of years old and have very few natural predators. Do you have any idea how many obstacles they have to face and overcome in their lifetimes?
Quoting Mrs_Velez:

Turtles are considered "slow".

Having a turtle as the mascot for a special needs bus is kind of demented.

Quoting Steph84FL: I don't get it. I like turtles.

JRSMOM0621
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Nope I'm sorry I dont :/ But I do see your point of view

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN