Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Would you give your child's father a say?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:32 PM
  • 123 Replies
So...me and my SO are expecting our first child together. We have broken up once since I was pregnant. He moved out and has since moved back. Our relationship went down hill back in October but he moved out in Late November. He has since come home and we really are trying to be a family however I still have many reservations. Which brings me to my question. I have picked our child's first name and I plan on giving her my last name as well since we aren't married and no where close to being married. He is adamant about picking her middle name. I don't like his suggestion and I honestly don't feel comfortable giving him a say since he has already left once. Would you let him pick her middle name?
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:34 PM
7 moms liked this
Of course. Just because he isn't your husband doesn't mean he isn't her father.
Secretly101
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Ok. Even though he hasn't been around and your not sure if he is going to stick around?

Quoting Anonymous: Of course. Just because he isn't your husband doesn't mean he isn't her father.
greenlove2013
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:38 PM
You have to give him a chance. Im not with my daughters father but she has his last name and we were never married
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:39 PM
10 moms liked this
Still her father. As of right now he's left you, not her. Even when she's born, he can still leave you without leaving her. And even if he goes leave both of you, he's still her father, and one day she will care that he cared, even if it was only for a moment.

Quoting Secretly101: Ok. Even though he hasn't been around and your not sure if he is going to stick around?

Quoting Anonymous: Of course. Just because he isn't your husband doesn't mean he isn't her father.
Momofmenagerie
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this
No
Steph84FL
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this
There is NEVER a guarantee that any father will stick around. Why not let him pick the middle name It's not like you use the middle name on a daily basis.

Quoting Secretly101: Ok. Even though he hasn't been around and your not sure if he is going to stick around?

Secretly101
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:48 PM
That makes me sad to read but I understand what your saying. It's hard though. I feel like if he picked her name and left I would be irritated lol. :/

Quoting Anonymous: Still her father. As of right now he's left you, not her. Even when she's born, he can still leave you without leaving her. And even if he goes leave both of you, he's still her father, and one day she will care that he cared, even if it was only for a moment.

Secretly101
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:50 PM
Yea...he hasn't picked one I really liked. Hopefully I am not just being biased though.

Quoting Steph84FL: There is NEVER a guarantee that any father will stick around. Why not let him pick the middle name It's not like you use the middle name on a daily basis.

Steph84FL
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Again...you don't use it every day. You don't have to love it...Just not hate it

Quoting Secretly101: Yea...he hasn't picked one I really liked. Hopefully I am not just being biased though.

Quoting Steph84FL: There is NEVER a guarantee that any father will stick around. Why not let him pick the middle name It's not like you use the middle name on a daily basis.

Secretly101
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 11:51 PM
That's kind of how I am feeling but nothing is set in stone. I just wanted to see how many people would or wouldn't.

Quoting Momofmenagerie: No
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)