Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Fleas. Nuff said.

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 3:25 AM
  • 22 Replies
Asaaaaaaaaaaagh! Fleas! I got advantage 2 and it's working well, but damn! I saw them on the cats right? None on the carpet or on me. Now that I treated them I am getting eaten alive! They're everywhere!

So for those of you who have lived the nightmare, will steam cleaning my carpets be any more help than just vacuuming often? Oh and they (the cats) seem to think the kitchen counter and table are THE place to hang. They never lay there before. Frrrrk. Any advice on how to speed the process along?

This is what I'm doing:

Bathing both cats daily
Vacuuming daily
Washing all clothes and storing them up high
Treated them with flea stuff

I have a steam cleaner I can use too. Also anything I can put on me to repel the fuckers since I seem to be so tasty? Just my calfs and feet. :-(

Thank you :-)
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 3:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Mar. 8, 2014 at 3:29 AM
Though I will add my little orange and white seems SOOOO much happier. I pulled off a few egg sacs in his bath this evening and he is purring again! :-) I feel bad though because I never noticed them and there are so many I wonder how long they're been there. I brush his fur I swear I do. I didn't notice any until he was infested (I saw them on his head and I looked at his underbelly and INFESTED!)
sheramom4
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 3:36 AM

Are you in a house or do you have a yard? If you do, make sure you treat the outside as well otherwise they will keep coming back. We treat the outside every Spring and usually do not have a problem. 

If I see one, I always steam the carpets. I don't know if it helps or not, I just do it.

AuntieM
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 5:02 AM
Flea bomb your house. Raid has a great fogger i've bought at Walgreen's before. Just vacuuming or steam cleaning won't get rid of them. Neither will just treating your cats.
nurse1997
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Flea bombs dont work. I have dealt with fleas and they are a bitch to get rid .of. Do all the steps u are doing now and u will get rid of them  vaccum tons and wash those cats daily mine are use to it now. Rember there are stages and u will go thru this for a while . Cats dont taste good anymore but u do lol sorry good luck. I dont screw with it anymore I buy frontline off line so much cheaper and easy to keep in the house .Good luck.

thefiregoddess
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:14 AM
Treat outside too!

We had an AWFUL flea problem last year. I mean I'd spend hours picking them out of our animals with tweezers. We used frontline.. it stopped working.

If your are desperate try comfortis. It's expensive but in 24 hours the fleas were gone from the pets and in 3 days we couldn't even find any in the house!

Wash bedding daily. Steam clean the crap out of your carpets, especially along base boards.

Steam your couches, mattresses EVERYTHING.

And do it at minimum every two weeks even if you don't see fleas. You have to break the hatching cycle.

Good luck! Fleas are terrible!
Janinja
by JaNinja on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Avon skin so soft usually stops anything from biting me. I absolutely hate fleas.
Perle1
by Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 8:56 AM
I treated my cat with Advantage, sprayed the carpets and upholstered furniture, and vacuumed obsessively. Repeated weekly for two weeks (or however long the life cycle of a flea egg is) and it worked well. I did not steam clean the carpet or bathe the cat. The advantage works well. My vet said you don't have to bathe cats so I never do.
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Mar. 8, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I saw the need to bathe them because the fleas started dying and him just laying on my kitchen counter left a brown smear (dried blood or flea poop idk but I had bathed him 4 days before) so I bathed him again. THis morning he seems to be flea free (though my carpets are not). The poor thing had nests under his chin from the bastards. I see less scratching from the both of them and TONS of dead fleas on my counter tops and table. Yeah, time to bust out the lysol. He doesn't smell as bad lol

Quoting Perle1: I treated my cat with Advantage, sprayed the carpets and upholstered furniture, and vacuumed obsessively. Repeated weekly for two weeks (or however long the life cycle of a flea egg is) and it worked well. I did not steam clean the carpet or bathe the cat. The advantage works well. My vet said you don't have to bathe cats so I never do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 8, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Borax. Sprinkle it in your carpet, let sit 10 to 15 min, Vacuum, Now, i hope you have a bucket type vac because after you vacuum, get rid of it, dump in in a ziplock bag and throw it away, we got them really bad here last year, and did this in the spring, and have not seen a flea since then.

Also fles comb the cats and dip the comb in warm soapy water, dawn kills fleas.

I was vacuuming 4 times a day for a few days, Continue putting the dirt in the zip lock bag, and when you vacuum do it once wait 10 min and then do it again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 8, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Flea bomb the house, steam clean the carpets after, bath the cats before hand and isolate them and that should do the trick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)