Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Ex tells daughter she has other siblings..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

My daughter is 6 years old. She knows she is the only child. She is very smart for her age. Her father and I have not been together for a while now. He is in a relationship of his own, as I am too. We don't argue about visitation rights, he skypes with her as much as he can since they live out of state. We are civil. The other day he mentioned to her that she has 2 sisters. Now, these two girls are not his biological children, their his girlfriends. They run about the same age as our daughter does. She questioned him "I have two sisters? I dont know them daddy". 

I have no idea how to react to that. I guess he can't be upset once she starts calling her step dad "Dad", right? She asked me "Who are they?" I told her the truth, they are his girlfriends daughters, and their not technically her sisters unless she wants them to be, but in most cases they would be step sisters if they were to get married". And my daughter just kind of shrugged it off.

I am a bit shocked he would of said that to her honestly. Him and I have always had an understanding about things like this.

What can we do? go along with it, or not? 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:38 PM
3 moms liked this

I'd just leave it be, you told her the truth and squashed any misunderstandings. He's an idiot but she's not, I think she'll be fine.

babie113
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:41 PM
2 moms liked this
I dont think you need to do anymore than you have by explaining to her that they would be step sisters if he marries gf .

I mean really what more can you do ?
amandacr1026
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Just tell her the truth. you can explain blood and genetics and all that. if she doesn't say anything, don't worry about it. but don't get vindictive and tell her that her step dad is "dad" and she needs to call him that... I know a mom who does that for every new bf and it confuses the hell out of her kids.

tiniowien
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd just leave it be, you told her the truth and squashed any misunderstandings. He's an idiot but she's not, I think she'll be fine.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

gracef282
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 9:21 PM
You're be fine. Just dont let him get to her. That was uncalled for
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2014 at 12:27 AM
1 mom liked this

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. You explained to your daughter who the girls are, she's old enough to understand they are not really her sisters, and that should be the end of it. To carry it on/be pissed about it when it's trivial at best, is beyond silly.

NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:03 AM

If they are sisters I assume if your x breaks up he will still have the kids keep in contact??? im guessing no

MethuenMom
by Member on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I think there are two ways I would handle this:

1.  If she's excited about her 'new sisters' let her be excited.  You don't want her to resent these girls because of what you might say to her about them.  It's not their fault. 

2.  If she's concerned about them you need to explain how they are 'new sisters'.  Tell her that there is no way that they will replace her and she can approach them as friends while getting to know them.  It's up to her if she wants to call them sisters or not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:29 AM

Go along with it. 

woodswalker
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:22 AM

I would tell him to stop confusing our daughter.   She does not have sisters.    Every time he dates someone new, her kids will not be her siblings.   WTF.   Men are stupid.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)