Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm not a dog person!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

I made a mistake!! I will admit to it and not afraid to say so.  A couple of months ago I was telling my husband that it would a good idea to get a dog. One, I know my husband has wanted one since his dog passed away a year or so after we met.  Two, I thought I would enjoy some company. Three, thought it would fun for the kids and also teach them some responsibility. 

We searched for two months then we found our dog at a shelter that we both liked.  We prepared for this dog just like a baby. New bed, food, food and water bowls, leash, lead, chew toys, etc. All was good for the first few weeks. Everybody was taking a liking to her except me.  I didn't know how OCD I was till a dog came into my life.  I have tried and tried to not let some of the things she does bother me.  But I feel that I have to constantly vacuum and wash the floors. The noises of licking and chewing drive me up a wall. Her constant roaming for food and sniffing is aggravating. Hand washing is starting to kill my hands.  I wish I could turn off that part.  But I was always told to wash my hands after petting. 

She's an adorable pooch who needs alot of training and with a 1 1/2 yr old I feel like I am on overload.  My husband and I have talked about taking her back.  But I know it would make him and my 6 yr old very upset with me. My two older kids could care less if we keep her or take her back.

My husband is a man and tells me to think like a man and just ignore it and not let it get to me.  I have had that conversation with him many times that women are not like men and can't just turn our brains off.  I really wish I could some times.  But that's my vent for today. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kellysparkles
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:19 AM

I don't have much advice other than to try therapy for your OCD.  It helps a lot, honestly.  I'm a huge animal activist and it strikes a nerve with me when people adopt a pet and then take it back.  The problem isn't with the dog, it's with you (that is not meant to be a mean jab, I'm sorry if it sounds that way).  If you were uncertain you should've tried fostering first to get the hang of things, to see if it was something you'd be interestedin commiting to permanently.

Good luck, though.  I hope everything works out great for the dog.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Quoting kellysparkles:

I don't have much advice other than to try therapy for your OCD.  It helps a lot, honestly.  I'm a huge animal activist and it strikes a nerve with me when people adopt a pet and then take it back.  The problem isn't with the dog, it's with you (that is not meant to be a mean jab, I'm sorry if it sounds that way).  If you were uncertain you should've tried fostering first to get the hang of things, to see if it was something you'd be interestedin commiting to permanently.

I am trying my best to learn and deal with the issues I have.  I am not giving the dog back or taking it anywhere!  We are keeping the dog. And seeing as we are a one income family at the moment.  There is no $$ for therapy. Just learning to deal with my issues like I had to when I was a kid..you just deal.  I made the choice so I deal with it. Just like I teach my kids on decision making.   This was just a vent to let my feelings out. 

fostermommy1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Try taking the dog to training. The "leave it" command did wonders for the constant licking!  I love my dogs to pieces, but the lick-lick-lick sound drives me up the wall.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Careful... All the "dog lovers" out there are bound to sniff this one out and attack you like a starving lion on a antelope! I personally hate dogs. My DH has one and I find her absolutely repulsive. The constant noise and neediness is way to much for me. Heaven forbid you say anything negative about a dog though. If you don't like them then you're the problem. lol

kellysparkles
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I gotcha.  Have you tried meditating?  I never considered it but I have severe OCD and anxiety and meditation is the only thing that's helped me.  There's also a book called "Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor and it has to do with clicker training, that works really well and we used that with our dog that we rescued.

I really do wish you the best of luck.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kellysparkles:

I am trying my best to learn and deal with the issues I have.  I am not giving the dog back or taking it anywhere!  We are keeping the dog. And seeing as we are a one income family at the moment.  There is no $$ for therapy. Just learning to deal with my issues like I had to when I was a kid..you just deal.  I made the choice so I deal with it. Just like I teach my kids on decision making.   This was just a vent to let my feelings out. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)