Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my husband just quit his job... and I'm terrified...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

A little backstory. My husband works a seasonal job where he is laid off 1-3 months (depending on weather conditions) during the winter. We had a harsh winter this year so he is just now returning back to work. I had worked while he was laid off (temp unemployment filed through his job) well we are expecting baby #2 and I since cut down my work days to only 2 a week because of my back and getting bigger day by day.

My husband is a hard worker, hes been with this company going on 4 years and has always done a great job. They just offered him a raise upon returning. Yesterday was his 2nd day back and since he does landscaping he goes by square-footage and that tells him how much "product" to put down//how much lawn to airate// how much seed to spread, etc. Well he noticed the bosses miscalculated his route yesterday. He had about 50,000 more square footage than what was on his paperwork for the day. So at the end of the day he told them about it just in case the other employee's numbers were off as well. DH is always professional, never gets an attitude. Well all of a sudden his bosses took him speaking up about their mistake as him having an "attitude" and threatened his job and started a huge argument with DH. He didn't argue back and just took everything they threw at him. DH is earning his BACH degree and has been on the search for a job pertaining to his career for a while. So on facebook last night he was talking to some friends about finding a "real job" pertaining to his career and if they knew of any gov offices hiring anyone right now. Well someone saw it and told his bosses that he was insulting the company and was planning to leave.. (they knew hes been going to school, and they also knew hes been on the search for a gov job for a while now)

so today (his friggen birthday) he goes into work EARLY. Only to call me and tell me he quit. Why? because they were going to suspend him for three days without pay for his facebook post that had NOTHING to do with them AT ALL. He tried explaining himself til he was blue in the face and them damn hot-heads didn't want to hear it. They had absolutely no grounds to suspend him. And of course in the heat of the moment they got very heated and nasty and DH quit. He is very upset but he feels as though they were trying to get him out of there for some reason because they are making no sense whatsoever. Hes been out job searching like crazy, thank god he has an awesome resume and great work history. But at the same time, I am petrified. We were doing great and with his raise we would be doing awesome, just in time for baby #2. Now I have no idea what were going to do. They already said they will deny his unemployment claim... idk what to do..Ive been up with DD (age 2) since 2am and I am exhausted, and worried out of my wits.

****** EDIT

I should clairify, he wasn't talking bad about his Job. Someone who he works with snooped and LIED to the boss about it. The only thing he talked about on facebook was future possibilities with government jobs. He mentioned NOTHING about this company, or his bosses, or the incident yesterday. Someone LIED and even after DH explained that he wasnt talking bad about them, the bosses didn't want to hear it. They are a bunch of hot headed pricks.

just thought I should clear that up.....

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:49 AM

hugs

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:51 AM
Wow sorry
Purgatorian
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:03 PM
Sorry but he bitched on Facebook... that right there tells me (a business owner) the level of maturity and professionalism of your husband. Whether the first screw up on square footage was their issue or not, your husband should have held his tongue until he had a new job. Now, he has no employment, no reference for the last four years, and because he quit instead of taking the suspension and eventual firing he was headed towards, he now has no recourse on getting unemployment.

People know where he works. Talking bad about his job on FB is a poor judgement. As is quitting.
PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:07 PM

There has got to be other landscape companies he can apply for.  He should get refrences from his clients.  

Nutball3
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:11 PM
One reason I never have anyone from work on FB. Good luck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM

he didn't say anything about his job on facebook. He didn't bad mouth them, or the company or talk about what happened. For the reason that it is unprofessional. He was talking about government jobs that hes been searching for pertaining to his future career. Hes made exact same posts//conversations before. He would never bad mouth them publicly no matter how bad the circumstance. They knew hes been going to school and has been searching for a job pertaining to his career. They even gave him a bonus last year to help with school costs. Whoever told them about it LIED and said he was bad-mouthing the company. He didn't even say anything about leaving this job, just that hes been searching. Which they already knew.....

Quoting Purgatorian: Sorry but he bitched on Facebook... that right there tells me (a business owner) the level of maturity and professionalism of your husband. Whether the first screw up on square footage was their issue or not, your husband should have held his tongue until he had a new job. Now, he has no employment, no reference for the last four years, and because he quit instead of taking the suspension and eventual firing he was headed towards, he now has no recourse on getting unemployment. People know where he works. Talking bad about his job on FB is a poor judgement. As is quitting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:28 PM

and I will add that the reason he mentioned the square footage issue is because if they use too much or too little product, they get a "penalty" so of course he is going to mention a mistake, he didnt even blame it on them, all he said was "Sir, the numbers on my square footage were way off, you may want to check everyone elses so the numbers on the product aren't off as well. 

I dont see how that qualifies as grounds for them threatening his job. He was notifying them of an issue that they would have bitched about if he didn't mention it anyway..

Quoting Anonymous:

he didn't say anything about his job on facebook. He didn't bad mouth them, or the company or talk about what happened. For the reason that it is unprofessional. He was talking about government jobs that hes been searching for pertaining to his future career. Hes made exact same posts//conversations before. He would never bad mouth them publicly no matter how bad the circumstance. They knew hes been going to school and has been searching for a job pertaining to his career. They even gave him a bonus last year to help with school costs. Whoever told them about it LIED and said he was bad-mouthing the company. He didn't even say anything about leaving this job, just that hes been searching. Which they already knew.....

Quoting Purgatorian: Sorry but he bitched on Facebook... that right there tells me (a business owner) the level of maturity and professionalism of your husband. Whether the first screw up on square footage was their issue or not, your husband should have held his tongue until he had a new job. Now, he has no employment, no reference for the last four years, and because he quit instead of taking the suspension and eventual firing he was headed towards, he now has no recourse on getting unemployment. People know where he works. Talking bad about his job on FB is a poor judgement. As is quitting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Hes already set out this morning to apply. Hes also got two interviews set for tomorrow. One is management for a lumber company and another is for a cable company. - like I said, hes got a fantastic resume, and he is a certified lawn tech through our state (as in he handles sprays, pest control for lawns, certain equipment, etc) they can't take that certification away.

I just don't understand it. I feel like they were trying to push him out.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

There has got to be other landscape companies he can apply for.  He should get refrences from his clients.  

Purgatorian
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Look at it from the employers point of view, if you have an employee talking about getting a new job with other of your employees, how does that look?

Plus obviously someone had it out for him in the first place if they narked him out about it being discussed on social media. It sucks sure, live and learn though.

Im just playing Devil's advocate here. He made some mistakes.You DON'T talk about work on social media unless YOU OWN THE COMPANY. No getting around it. You dont quit a job of 4 years without replacing it first. Should have taken the suspension, then gotten a new gig ASAP.

Quoting Anonymous: he didn't say anything about his job on facebook. He didn't bad mouth them, or the company or talk about what happened. For the reason that it is unprofessional. He was talking about government jobs that hes been searching for pertaining to his future career. Hes made exact same posts//conversations before. He would never bad mouth them publicly no matter how bad the circumstance. They knew hes been going to school and has been searching for a job pertaining to his career. They even gave him a bonus last year to help with school costs. Whoever told them about it LIED and said he was bad-mouthing the company. He didn't even say anything about leaving this job, just that hes been searching. Which they already knew.....Quoting Purgatorian: Sorry but he bitched on Facebook... that right there tells me (a business owner) the level of maturity and professionalism of your husband. Whether the first screw up on square footage was their issue or not, your husband should have held his tongue until he had a new job. Now, he has no employment, no reference for the last four years, and because he quit instead of taking the suspension and eventual firing he was headed towards, he now has no recourse on getting unemployment.

People know where he works. Talking bad about his job on FB is a poor judgement. As is quitting.
PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:37 PM

*fingers crossed*  Tell him to break a leg (aka good luck)!

Quoting Anonymous:

Hes already set out this morning to apply. Hes also got two interviews set for tomorrow. One is management for a lumber company and another is for a cable company. - like I said, hes got a fantastic resume, and he is a certified lawn tech through our state (as in he handles sprays, pest control for lawns, certain equipment, etc) they can't take that certification away. I just don't understand it. I feel like they were trying to push him out.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)