Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

No more welfare benefits!

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 6:45 PM
  • 296 Replies
10 moms liked this

I understand how a lot of people are conflicted with this issue. Yes some people abuse their privilege,but just because a small portion does that doesn't mean everyone who recieves benefits does. I'm a stay at home mother of 2 (2 and under). My husband works hard to help pay bills and afford diapers,etc (we live in a home of 10 and everything is split three ways between each family). After he's caught up with bills we would have no money for the food bill so we recieve food stamps. We don't abuse it at all. We buy meals. Something for each meal of the day and always a big meal for dinner. The only time we buy snacks is for the kids after they have eaten ALL of their dinner. If it means that I have to take a piss test to keep recieving benefits, then I gladly will!

by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:56 PM
24 moms liked this
Sorry but nobody who chooses to sah with their kids should get benefits they should get a job! If you can't work it's one thing but you are choosing not to work and have those who work hard pay for your food.
For the record I'm a sahm but we don't get any pa. I'd get a job first.
ajrjj05
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 8:59 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree. I work 10 hours a week just for extra cash, but even if I didn't my husband soley supported us. If your living in a home with 10 people why can't they help babysit?

Quoting Anonymous: Sorry but nobody who chooses to sah with their kids should get benefits they should get a job! If you can't work it's one thing but you are choosing not to work and have those who work hard pay for your food.
For the record I'm a sahm but we don't get any pa. I'd get a job first.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:13 PM
4 moms liked this
U should get a job b4 u get help a hand out and don't use the daycare excuse u could work different shifts and if u live in a house of 10 people y can't some1 help with babysitting me and my husband work our ass off we do different shifts and still barely get by the program was set up for people who need temporary help that r trying to make it better not people who chose to not work and aren't doing anything to fix the fact that they can't support their own family so if u r able to work but just aren't then yes u r one of the many out there that r using and abusing the the welfare program
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:20 PM
3 moms liked this

You should have helped your husband by not having children; this way you have built up a nice nest egg so your family didn't live in crowded home.  I don't understand this at all having children and struggling unnecessarily. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2014 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I know there are some who abuse the system. It really stinks for those who can use the assistance for a short time to survive.  Good luck.

bambismom
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM
35 moms liked this

So, for those of you that suggested the OP have somebody else in the house watch the kids, don't you think these people would want to be paid?  Unless they're relatives I am betting they would want to get paid, unless the OP can watch their kids in return.  What job are you suggesting she get?  There are so many jobs that don't pay enough to pay daycare for two kids.  I had a job working in a pharmacy.  Think I'd make enough money to pay daycare for two kids?  NOPE!!!   After taking daycare and other expenses out of my check I would have brought home $50 a week!  So, I did what the OP is doing, stayed home with my kids.  We did not get assistance because we didn't meet the income guidelines but that doesn't mean I don't understand what she's going through.  I couponed and I watched every penny!  We didn't have cable, dish or video games.  A trip to McDonald's was a splurge.  It really sounds to me that the OP is being careful with their money and unless there is a job that pays well enough to pay daycare she is better off staying home.  That's what is messed up about this country.  Not enough well paying jobs. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:52 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting bambismom:

So, for those of you that suggested the OP have somebody else in the house watch the kids, don't you think these people would want to be paid?  Unless they're relatives I am betting they would want to get paid, unless the OP can watch their kids in return.  What job are you suggesting she get?  There are so many jobs that don't pay enough to pay daycare for two kids.  I had a job working in a pharmacy.  Think I'd make enough money to pay daycare for two kids?  NOPE!!!   After taking daycare and other expenses out of my check I would have brought home $50 a week!  So, I did what the OP is doing, stayed home with my kids.  We did not get assistance because we didn't meet the income guidelines but that doesn't mean I don't understand what she's going through.  I couponed and I watched every penny!  We didn't have cable, dish or video games.  A trip to McDonald's was a splurge.  It really sounds to me that the OP is being careful with their money and unless there is a job that pays well enough to pay daycare she is better off staying home.  That's what is messed up about this country.  Not enough well paying jobs. 

County is not messed up it's the people that have children before they are suppose to and not gain enough experience to move up the ladder with their job. She should have done the research first to see if they could afford childcare and then decide if now is be a good time to have children.  But nooooo women must have their children now and not be patience. Good things happens for those who are patience.       

TheMom.com
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 6:59 AM
3 moms liked this
Your local welfare office *should* have a childcare department, and if not, there are income based daycares.. so you can get a job and help contribute.

My personal opinion....if you cant afford to stay home, dont make the rest of the working population pay for it..
--Not bashing. Just sayin'
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2014 at 7:03 AM
14 moms liked this

you don't seem to understand.  It is not the government's job to provide for you because you want to be a SAHM.  That is only for people who can afford it 100%.  Many people work when they have young children, I did as well.   There is far more abuse than you say, because when you choose to stay home and not work, you are considered one of the abusers as well.  Why don't you and many others understand that?  I had my MA degree, then married, money and then kids.  Most people who do it that way avoid poverty.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2014 at 7:05 AM
7 moms liked this

guess what?  She IS one of the abusers.  SInce when is it OK for the tax payers to support people who want to be SAHMs?????????/

Quoting Anonymous:

I know there are some who abuse the system. It really stinks for those who can use the assistance for a short time to survive.  Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)