Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

More time, testing, money and effort. Hope it is worth it.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

I have to vent about something. I really don't like the job market right now, and how things have become for job searchers.

I have been running in to this situation where national recruiters contact me about a position in my town, then we do and on line face to face interview, then I have to do pages and pages of paper work, testing and then pay out of my pocket to get the needed documentation on time, like yesterday, I had an interview at 2:30 pm and then they wanted all the hand signed necessary notarized documentation sent over by 5:00 pm, that ended up costing me $18.00 because I was forced to use a office supply store, then I was sent testing that hadto be done by this morning, then they asked if I have child care lined up for Monday even though I have not been formally offered the position yet, and the request for time and resources just keeps on coming with out a clearly stated solid offer and start date. Ughhhh! I need to know what's going on before I dish out money we don't have for child care and additionally needed professional wardrobe items, I used to wear scrubs to my last job and I have about three very professional outfits and will need to buy enough for 6 days a week.

This is the third time I have been put in this situation by possible employers. The first time the whole ordeal went on for almost a month, with hours of effort and time and investment put in to the job that seemed to be mine, then they had me go in and sit in the office with the staff for two hours and said we plan on starting you next week, then nothing and all professional follow up on my end completely ignored. That fell through and it happens, I don't take those things personally, and I did maintained my other job search activities the whole time, butI still put massive effort and time in to that very demanding interview process for no pay off at all, not even a thans but no thanks status update. I don't give the employer any more time that they tell me it will take for them to make a decisicion any way, but how frustrating. The second time was with a temp service and that was a total nightmare that was also a waste of my time, because they used my strong skills and lied to me about pay the last time I did an assignment so they could make their money off of me anyway, so that ended, and now this.

IDK, am doing what I need to do to flow through on this opportunity which may or may not be beginning Monday, but I just don't trust any of these placement or recruitment agencies any more and I told my husband I am not spending one more dime until I am officially offered this position and give a date and time to report for paid work. That included child care, since with the temp service I had to pay FT child care cost for lower than expected PT pay. It actually cost me money to work for them on the last assignment, but I did not want to ditch the assignment because it would reflect poorly on my job performance and it was in a doctor's office and the everyone in the medical community here talks to everyone else and I felt it was not the doctor's fault, because the told them what he needed and they lied to me to get me there to do the job. It was awful.

My husband has off Monday because I have a doctor's appt. scheduled and he will need to be home to get the kids from school, but I am not even cancelling that appt until I get a solid offer because they are scheduling two months out and I would have to wait another two months at least to get in there. I told the agency I have an appt set up for Monday that I scheduled three months ago, and they asked me to cancel it, I said sure, but I'm waiting until I get the official offer first.  

Things are so different on the job search front now, and when did companies start using these national agencies to hire all their people for them. I miss hearing directly from the company that will be hiring me and meeting with them in a real live, in person, face to face interview vs a Face time or Skype interview with someone I won't even see on site at my new job, and then having good follow up with a offer and reasonable notice, with no cost to me just for the chance to be considered after hours and hours of effort put in for the company before I even get hired?!!

I have to vent here, because naturally I am not stupid enough to let even a smidgen of this irritation or frustration come across while I'm jumping through all the hoops to hopefully get a job.

vent over.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 14, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:12 PM

fingers crossed

TowerWife
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Yeah, I hate the way job hunting goes now. Everything thing electronic and no personal interaction.
jaydensmom1726
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 2:20 PM

what the hell do you do for work? that takes all that and then not get the job

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 14, 2014 at 3:32 PM

The month long affair was for a HR management position for a private in home heath care company. The second , the temp service nightmare, was as a medical office administrator/receptionist while they, the docor and his wife were out of the country in Europe. That assignment lasted two months. This most recent, and last agency attempt I will add, is just for a receptionist position at a local college.

You'd think, by all the work they have me doing, all the documents they have me faxing them, another 20 today, 6 of which I had to fill out  and specifically send along with the others as a whole packet, and one I had to have notarized (the I-9), and then more testing I have to finish by tomorrow night, you'd think it's some huge and important job. Reception......way below my experience and abilities and usual  putting-out fires all the time positions of the past, and one of the things that I like about it, but really, the college can't just call some local candidates in to meet them face to face first, and then possibly hire the selected candidate them self?

I do understand why some companies and business fields use agencies and I understand the benefits, but lately that's all I'm seeing in pretty much all the fields I am qualified (right at experience and pay grade or lower) to seek employment in , even for medical staffing, the lager hospitals and smaller groups and offices.

Yuck, I don't like it at all, but have to deal with it winningly if I hope to get hired on any where, it seems. Now I understand why some job posters and job seekers state "no recruiters" under the do not reply section along with the "no solicitors" statement. I always wondered, a mystery no longer.

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

jaydensmom1726
by on Mar. 14, 2014 at 5:27 PM

if they have you getting the i-9 that means you hired.atleast  here it does.

also why do you have to have the i-9 noterized?

Quoting Anonymous:

The month long affair was for a HR management position for a private in home heath care company. The second , the temp service nightmare, was as a medical office administrator/receptionist while they, the docor and his wife were out of the country in Europe. That assignment lasted two months. This most recent, and last agency attempt I will add, is just for a receptionist position at a local college.

You'd think, by all the work they have me doing, all the documents they have me faxing them, another 20 today, 6 of which I had to fill out  and specifically send along with the others as a whole packet, and one I had to have notarized (the I-9), and then more testing I have to finish by tomorrow night, you'd think it's some huge and important job. Reception......way below my experience and abilities and usual  putting-out fires all the time positions of the past, and one of the things that I like about it, but really, the college can't just call some local candidates in to meet them face to face first, and then possibly hire the selected candidate them self?

I do understand why some companies and business fields use agencies and I understand the benefits, but lately that's all I'm seeing in pretty much all the fields I am qualified (right at experience and pay grade or lower) to seek employment in , even for medical staffing, the lager hospitals and smaller groups and offices.

Yuck, I don't like it at all, but have to deal with it winningly if I hope to get hired on any where, it seems. Now I understand why some job posters and job seekers state "no recruiters" under the do not reply section along with the "no solicitors" statement. I always wondered, a mystery no longer.

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2014 at 7:59 AM

The staffing agency that was "putting me forward to the client"  per the recruiter, is out of town, way out of town, so now they just Skype interview potential candidates that are not local and  then since the recruiter could not personaly verify the identification document sources, I needed to fill out the document and and have it verified and notarized at my bank and then fax it in. I guess this is what they do now, or this is how this staffing agency does it any way. It makes sense, I guess,  but it inconveniences the candidate/employee and once again eats up time and resources, for an unsure thing, obviously. Please understand and believe me that I really never do let on that I feel inconvenienced in  any way. I am ultra sensative a causious about this, since one wrong word or action could kill a job opprtunity like nothing else.  My attitude and actions are all about cheerfully and enthusiastically getting things done in a more than timely manner, professionally and pleasantly, but I now fully distrust recruiters and the agencies they represent.

They have decided to "go with someone else" closer to the client's location. I was notified yesterday. Thank God I did not spend more money on faxing at Staples, $1.68 per page for long distance faxes. I went to the local county run job resource center to send the last batch, or buy more office apparel, even though when I do get a real job offer and if it happens to be in an office I will be excited to have a good excuse to buy some cute new shoes and office clothes!!.

Also, I was having trouble lining up childcare in time for Tuesday. The after school daycare we used when I was working during the week before has no openings, neither do the other two we trust and like. My husband could have taken care of them Monday, but after that we had nobody as of yet.  We would have scrambling for the next two days looking for a place for them to go after school. Had I found some one since this whole uncertain thing started on Thursday and had the girls registered and paid for the week, as many expect you to pay for the week in advance, we would have been out that money for nothing, if I had really canceled my doctor's appointment like they demanded so I could start Monday, I would have just lost the appt for no good reason and have to wait weeks and weeks to have the needed in office procedure done.

You sound like you know something about hiring. Maybe you are a hiring manager or run a small business of your own or something, I wonder do you have any good tips for avoiding recruiters and dealing with the actual company as a direct hire. I mean, are there red flags I should be looking for in the job postings or something. I would like to avoid recruiters from now on and if any contact me I will not get involved only to go through all of this again. I swore if this did not work to the advantage of me or my family in one way or another it would be the last time. It didn't so that's it.  As petty as it is, I'm even still a little pissed over the $15.00 I spent to send them the first batch of faxed documents. Stupid, I know, but once again through my job search dealings with an agency and recruiter I ended up spending money while not getting a return.

I go to company sites and apply all the time too, but sometimes I respond to posting on Career Builder and Indeed and I'm beginning to wonder if it is just 95% recruiters trolling around in  job search sites now?

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

ff-princess
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:57 AM

since it sounds like she's filling out the I9 for a recruiting agency, it doesn't mean anything at all.  most recruiters who have temporary workers have all applicants fill out the I9 when they interview on the off chance that they get an assignment; all paperwork is already in place.  I used to place temporary workers, and have worked in a couple other agencies, and this is the protocol.

the signature on your I9 is to be witnessed, usually by a member of HR or your department, on your start date.  since this process is all remote, it requires a notary in order to meet the requirements of DHS.

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Yup! This sounds about right and more indicative of my conclusions through my dealings with this out of town agency. This makes sense. This was a perm placement position, according the recruiter, but most likely that was a lie as well. Never again.

Sorry, I know you said you placed temp workers, so that means this type of thing was your job, and God Bless you. I can see how difficult it would be to be a recruiter, even an internal one, or to work for an agency placing people. The client, and making them happy is the #1 concern and the candidate is just a vehicle to get you to your quota and commission.

But, I have to say, when I think of recruiters now I think of energy sucking, time sucking entities that will no doubt cost me money to deal with in some way with no return on my investments of all mentioned. Like a cancer, they worm their way in and take over your day or a couple days of your life with this they need right now and that they have to have by this afternoon, with no solid guaranteeor a well rehersed, strongly insinuated placement, always for  less pay than you would make when you are in the position to negotiateing on your own.

Well, the responsiblylies on both sides if I am to be honest about it.  The recruiter has a job to do and pressure to meet certain performance supporting numbers and please the client and  the job hunter has a job to do in obtaining the needed or desired job and needs to take on the personal responsablity  lookingout for their own best interest instead of leaving it to a recruiter or agency. For that reason I don't see how someone looking to meet quota demands and only has the best interest of the client in mind, because that's where the money is coming form, can help me do what I need to do.

Funny thing is that I did a temp job for the temp service that assigned me to the doctor's office at an insurance agency company, not in sales, but a lower level admin position,  and they went behind the agencies back and called me at home 3 times asking if I would accept a job offer from them. I did the decent thing and told them I was on another assignment at the time, and that I would be for about two months and they said they would wait, and that if need be they would request me through the agency again......DUH!!!!!  If I were bright I would have said, nope! No need for the wait and no need for the F-ing agency to be involved, I can start tomorrow! I put too much importance on my reliability in the eyes of the doctor's office and staffing agency and not enough importance on my needs and desires in the long term.

I was such a dumb ass and I did not look out for my best interest when it came to choosing g to finish the medical office assignment or go for the direct hire position. You know the agency did not appreciate it at all, and I think they even cut me because of it, because when the doctor and wife got back, and asked me what I planned on doing now, after their assignment I said that I was offered a position at a company across the street and I want to take it....she seemed surprised and said the staffing agency told her I was all free and available for further placement with her office? Wouldn't you kn ow that that agency never called me again, and all of a suddenhad "nothing right " for me at that time, when I found out the other company worked out another arrangement in the later part of the two months I was at the doctor's office. I suspect the doctor's office was confused or disappointed that I had other plans that being available for them and shared our conversation with the staffing agency for clarification on my availability. Oh well. A lesson learned.

It was my fault for letting the opportunity slip away to the benefit of the agency, but had I not  been involved with them in the first place it would have been a non issue. Like I said, never again, to any of it.

Quoting ff-princess:

since it sounds like she's filling out the I9 for a recruiting agency, it doesn't mean anything at all.  most recruiters who have temporary workers have all applicants fill out the I9 when they interview on the off chance that they get an assignment; all paperwork is already in place.  I used to place temporary workers, and have worked in a couple other agencies, and this is the protocol.

the signature on your I9 is to be witnessed, usually by a member of HR or your department, on your start date.  since this process is all remote, it requires a notary in order to meet the requirements of DHS.

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

ff-princess
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 10:57 AM

I think the main thing that a lot of people don't understand is that a staffing agency is looking to fill their stable.  honestly, 90% of the time there's an ad placed by an agency, it turns out to be a generic ad and there is no real position behind the posting.  but if they get 100 responses and half of those come in, then they have 50 new candidates to match up to whatever jobs they actually have.  it is an extremely competitive, high pressure position and it was not for me.  I had a hard time just throwing a body into a slot when we weren't able to meet the client's specific needs. 

I've also done recruiting internally for a pretty large corporation, and can honestly say that I would not have had the time to do the rest of my duties if I had done all the pre-screening myself.  we would use the corporate recruiters to weed through the initial responses, and I would call maybe half of the candidates they sent to me.  We only brought in maybe 10% of the applicants to any posting, and it would not be unusual to take 6 months to make an offer.

but I do get your side, my last permanent role was hell to obtain and then ended up not being what was promised.  I went through one phone screen with the corporate recruiter, one with the local executive assistant, then with each of three directors and a vice president, and finally a lunch interview with the EA and one of the directors.  all of that was followed by a background check and drug test, then they flew me out to California for onboarding and training.  what a collosal waste of time and efforts, because six months in when I saw that things were never going to be what I was offered, they had to start all over again.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yup! This sounds about right and more indicative of my conclusions through my dealings with this out of town agency. This makes sense. This was a perm placement position, according the recruiter, but most likely that was a lie as well. Never again.

Sorry, I know you said you placed temp workers, so that means this type of thing was your job, and God Bless you. I can see how difficult it would be to be a recruiter, even an internal one, or to work for an agency placing people. The client, and making them happy is the #1 concern and the candidate is just a vehicle to get you to your quota and commission.

But, I have to say, when I think of recruiters now I think of energy sucking, time sucking entities that will no doubt cost me money to deal with in some way with no return on my investments of all mentioned. Like a cancer, they worm their way in and take over your day or a couple days of your life with this they need right now and that they have to have by this afternoon, with no solid guaranteeor a well rehersed, strongly insinuated placement, always for  less pay than you would make when you are in the position to negotiateing on your own.

Well, the responsiblylies on both sides if I am to be honest about it.  The recruiter has a job to do and pressure to meet certain performance supporting numbers and please the client and  the job hunter has a job to do in obtaining the needed or desired job and needs to take on the personal responsablity  lookingout for their own best interest instead of leaving it to a recruiter or agency. For that reason I don't see how someone looking to meet quota demands and only has the best interest of the client in mind, because that's where the money is coming form, can help me do what I need to do.

Funny thing is that I did a temp job for the temp service that assigned me to the doctor's office at an insurance agency company, not in sales, but a lower level admin position,  and they went behind the agencies back and called me at home 3 times asking if I would accept a job offer from them. I did the decent thing and told them I was on another assignment at the time, and that I would be for about two months and they said they would wait, and that if need be they would request me through the agency again......DUH!!!!!  If I were bright I would have said, nope! No need for the wait and no need for the F-ing agency to be involved, I can start tomorrow! I put too much importance on my reliability in the eyes of the doctor's office and staffing agency and not enough importance on my needs and desires in the long term.

I was such a dumb ass and I did not look out for my best interest when it came to choosing g to finish the medical office assignment or go for the direct hire position. You know the agency did not appreciate it at all, and I think they even cut me because of it, because when the doctor and wife got back, and asked me what I planned on doing now, after their assignment I said that I was offered a position at a company across the street and I want to take it....she seemed surprised and said the staffing agency told her I was all free and available for further placement with her office? Wouldn't you kn ow that that agency never called me again, and all of a suddenhad "nothing right " for me at that time, when I found out the other company worked out another arrangement in the later part of the two months I was at the doctor's office. I suspect the doctor's office was confused or disappointed that I had other plans that being available for them and shared our conversation with the staffing agency for clarification on my availability. Oh well. A lesson learned.

It was my fault for letting the opportunity slip away to the benefit of the agency, but had I not  been involved with them in the first place it would have been a non issue. Like I said, never again, to any of it.

Quoting ff-princess:

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

jaydensmom1726
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 1:09 AM

No I am not a manager or anything.i just know from experience that if you do an I-9 it is when your filling out paper work after you have been hired.also as you have figured out recruiters are usually a  scam.

like everything else in life if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

also another good place to look for work is craigslist or local reputable temp agency's like SOS employment agency.

Quoting Anonymous:

The staffing agency that was "putting me forward to the client"  per the recruiter, is out of town, way out of town, so now they just Skype interview potential candidates that are not local and  then since the recruiter could not personaly verify the identification document sources, I needed to fill out the document and and have it verified and notarized at my bank and then fax it in. I guess this is what they do now, or this is how this staffing agency does it any way. It makes sense, I guess,  but it inconveniences the candidate/employee and once again eats up time and resources, for an unsure thing, obviously. Please understand and believe me that I really never do let on that I feel inconvenienced in  any way. I am ultra sensative a causious about this, since one wrong word or action could kill a job opprtunity like nothing else.  My attitude and actions are all about cheerfully and enthusiastically getting things done in a more than timely manner, professionally and pleasantly, but I now fully distrust recruiters and the agencies they represent.

They have decided to "go with someone else" closer to the client's location. I was notified yesterday. Thank God I did not spend more money on faxing at Staples, $1.68 per page for long distance faxes. I went to the local county run job resource center to send the last batch, or buy more office apparel, even though when I do get a real job offer and if it happens to be in an office I will be excited to have a good excuse to buy some cute new shoes and office clothes!!.

Also, I was having trouble lining up childcare in time for Tuesday. The after school daycare we used when I was working during the week before has no openings, neither do the other two we trust and like. My husband could have taken care of them Monday, but after that we had nobody as of yet.  We would have scrambling for the next two days looking for a place for them to go after school. Had I found some one since this whole uncertain thing started on Thursday and had the girls registered and paid for the week, as many expect you to pay for the week in advance, we would have been out that money for nothing, if I had really canceled my doctor's appointment like they demanded so I could start Monday, I would have just lost the appt for no good reason and have to wait weeks and weeks to have the needed in office procedure done.

You sound like you know something about hiring. Maybe you are a hiring manager or run a small business of your own or something, I wonder do you have any good tips for avoiding recruiters and dealing with the actual company as a direct hire. I mean, are there red flags I should be looking for in the job postings or something. I would like to avoid recruiters from now on and if any contact me I will not get involved only to go through all of this again. I swore if this did not work to the advantage of me or my family in one way or another it would be the last time. It didn't so that's it.  As petty as it is, I'm even still a little pissed over the $15.00 I spent to send them the first batch of faxed documents. Stupid, I know, but once again through my job search dealings with an agency and recruiter I ended up spending money while not getting a return.

I go to company sites and apply all the time too, but sometimes I respond to posting on Career Builder and Indeed and I'm beginning to wonder if it is just 95% recruiters trolling around in  job search sites now?

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jaydensmom1726:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN