Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

breastfeeding is disgusting and wrong.

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:14 AM
  • 65 Replies
13 moms liked this

The moment i had been dreading since my little one arrived finally came yesterday.....

I had finally plucked up the courage ( inspired by the 'tramp' mother of rugeley england who was photographed breastfeeding her baby in public) to sit and feed my baby in a secluded corner of a restaurant. all was going well until a rude, ignorant, vile idiot told me i was disgusting and should leave. he didn't work at the restaurant so he had no authority to do so.

i used the two top method, one up and one down. you could of been looking through a magnifying glass and i doubt you would see anything undecent. but still a big fuss was made. going slightly red in the face with embarrassement i ALMOST just unlatched little man and went home. ut then i remembered the woman from rugeley who was labelled a tramp for feeding her child. her photo as taken an uploaded to facebook. she had been the subject of bullying and was finally making a stand, organising peaceful breastfeeding protests. the least i could do was take a leaf out of her book.

It really is a shame that in this day and age women are made to feel ashamed for giving their baby the nourishment they need. what do people think we have breasts for? surely people dont honestly beleive they are there purely for mens enjoyment? to be leered at and groped?

do people think we like having to get our breasts out in public? in the ideal world i would only ever feed at home. but the reality is when your baby is hungry they are HUNGRY! the fact that people would prefer a innocent helpless little baby to go hungry rather than them be fed the way nature intended truly disgusts me!!

by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ZamilyMom
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:21 AM
9 moms liked this

Don't let the ignorant ones bother you!  You know that nursing is the only reason women (like all mammals) were given breasts, and you feel that breastfeeding is best for your baby.  That's all that counts.  Do NOT let mean, stupid people ruin the natural bonding of nursing your baby!

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this
I have yet to have this problem! But, I am sorry this happened to you.
I think people who say this to nursing mothers have a problem with themselves, ya know? Like they are so uncomfortable with themselves, they feel compelled to project their problems onto you.

I think you did the right thing by keeping on. You weren't bothering anyone. He probably really had to go out of his way to look at you.
NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

I only hear stuff like this on the internet.  Im breasfeeding my 4th child.  all of them ebf for a year.  thats 3 1/2 years on the tit and not once has anyone said anything to me.  I find it shocking the very first time you get a comment.  Im a teacher (on maternity leave) and I even bf my kid at my school while watching my kids concert.  My students and parents saw me bf my child.  Nobody said a word.  They may have talked about it later but I dont really care.  My baby was hungry. 

KWinsor85
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Do these ignorant people realize that if it were not for breastfeeding none of us would be alive today?  how did the cave women feed their babies?  pretty sure they didn't go out and kill animals to feed to babies with no teeth.  Our ancestors have done it since the beginning of time.  It is the most natural form of nourishment.  People need to learn to suck up their issues and keep their mouths shut!  Never feel ashamed of feeding your baby...EVER!  <3

KREX0914
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I know a mother who has said that breastfeeding is disgusting and she would never do it. She told me her breasts were for her husband and her husband alone. Having her child, especially a daughter, put their mouths on them was just too sexual.

JTE11
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:39 PM
3 moms liked this

Unless you are swinging your breasts around in people's faces or prancing around with them hanging out all over the place, don't worry about it. Women show off more bare breast when they wear a low cut top than breastfeeding with the two-shirt method. I'd have told him to kindly mind his own business, and that this is baby food, grow up. Yes, that is what breasts are for, the fact that some guys find them sexy and can't separate their baby feeding function from what they want to use them for is sad, but not your baby's fault. It was right to keep feeding your LO. It's not right to deprive a hungry baby because someone else has an immature hang-up about it. Sorry someone said this to you and I hope that it won't cause you to not go out and to feed your baby when he needs it. It's just baby food, people really need to grow up.

CalicoMeezer
by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:45 PM
4 moms liked this
I did not bf my dd (medical reasons, not that I should have to justify), but I find your friend/acquaintance/whatever pretty laughable.

Quoting KREX0914:

I know a mother who has said that breastfeeding is disgusting and she would never do it. She told me her breasts were for her husband and her husband alone. Having her child, especially a daughter, put their mouths on them was just too sexual.

happynewyorker
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:49 PM

I'm sorry to say I've never had this problem. I've heard it in the news and read it in the papers. 

Let people talk, they have nothing better to say.  People will say anything to anyone.  If you of the same sex kissing on the street people will say something.  No one's perfect and we can't change how people feel or think.  We just left them talk, and if they are rude or offensive we should respond.  Don't allow anyone judge you because your taking care of your child. 

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:57 PM
3 moms liked this

Tell him and others like him that you find his face offensive and disgusting and he should leave! You have every right to feed your baby!

m.garcia21
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 1:01 PM
Thats exactly what i always say when ppl say they would never breastfeed and that its disgusting, wtf do people think theyre for, decorational purposses!?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)