Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Are you flipping serious?!

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:30 AM
  • 51 Replies
3 moms liked this

So I'm going to bitch about my job for a minute. This post is pretty long so I apologize in advance...I'm not going to say where I work because I'm not exactly sure if I can get into some sort of trouble for bashing them or not... With that being said, don't worry about the company... Just know that they SUCK!

Here goes.

I bust my ass for this place. 100% of the time. If I'm called in, I usually go. I'm never late, I have never called out, I do what is asked of me, and if I can't finish something then I leave a note with the reason and I get it the next day. I usually can't get to everything they ask of me because they pile SO much on the plate and expect you to be friggin super woman!

I work nights and have never had a weekend off. My DH and DD are both home on the weekends but do I get to spend any time with them? No. I see my daughter for 30 minutes in the morning, and she's already in bed when I get home at 11... You can't count on days off because 99% of the time they call you wanting you to come in, then say "Oh well if you come in today, you can have this day off..." but you don't get it. I get so much overtime it's stupid! Hell I asked for a specific day off (weeks in advance) And was told no due to the fact that it was a Saturday and it's busy. So? That's why I asked WEEKS in advance so they could plan the schedule accordingly. I wanted to go to a friends daughters bday party that I've not seen in 11 YEARS and we finally got back into contact. That's getting off topic though. . .

Now yes, the paycheck is nice at the end of the week and yes I know I am lucky to even have a job. What I don't like is that they expect you to put work before your family/life and that's not right. Plus the pay sucks! Today is my first day "off" in a long time. They have already tried to call but I'm NOT going in...  Period. Every other time they have called I go, I'm over it. I told my daughter we would have a "girls day" after school and By God we are going to!

So here's what happened.

Last night I had to close (as usual) We close at 10 and I had a girl call out for today, She called at like 9:30... I'm not even the manager! You don't call me! I'm just what they call a "Lead Sales Associate" That late at night I didn't have time to scramble to cover the shift when I had 25 other things to do... They DEMAND you be out by no later than 10:30 or you get into trouble. I think she just wanted to put the monkey on my back because I guess our boss gets cranky with you for calling out... I wouldn't know seeing as how I have never done it lol I told this girl that I'm not who she needs to speak with but I will leave a note for the manager. However she needs to call first thing in the morning and speak with the right person herself and she said that she would, we hang up and I go on about my business thinking that I did the right thing. WRONG.

So today (on my day OFF) I'm in the shower and I hear the phone, I jump out, wrap up and go to see who it is... (could have been the school) It's work.

I let it go to voice mail and my boss leaves a snotty message saying that I need to call her ASAP that the girl who is supposed to be there at 9 didn't show up and guess what? She didn't call either. She went on to say that when someone calls out that I'm supposed to immediately call her and then try to cover the shift. That I shouldn't have left a note, blah blah blah... I'm sorry but I am not going to call people at 8:30-9:00 at night to tell them they need to come in the next day and pick up this girls slack... The girl who called out should have called our boss and spoke with her this morning instead of calling someone who doesn't matter and leaving a message! C'mon now...

How is it MY fault she didn't call this morning? That's on her. Not me. That's a no call, no show. I know that as soon as I call back that boss lady is going to tell me that I need to come in and cover the shift. Well I'm not doing it. I'm 3 months pregnant, I DO NOT feel good today, I still have the stupid morning sickness crap, and I don't get paid enough to deal with that shit!

I'm sorry but they are on their own today. Maybe if they cared a little more about their employees and their life OUTSIDE of work (because surprise! We do have one!) then MAYBE I'd go. Maybe if they'd keep their word and work with us a bit more, then maybe I'd go.

Or MAYBE I just want my effing day off and By God if that place were to burn to the ground today... MAYBE I just wouldn't give a crap.

But that wont happen because it's raining.

Once again, sorry this post is SO long... I just needed to ramble. Now I am going to go on about my day and not worry about it. I'm not scheduled so piss on em.

by on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hollyah73
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:59 AM
4 moms liked this
Good for you! It's hard working somewhere that you feel unappreciated! Hopefully tomorrow goes better. Enjoy your girls day off
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:05 AM
9 moms liked this
This is why good employees just don't give a fuvk after awhile. You get run into the ground and maybe blamed for things. I wouldn't call her back either. They need to learn to function without you!! I definitely woukd consider not coming in for them on my days off for awhile.
WillowRose24
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this

Thank you guys! I feel somewhat guilty for not going, but damn. Ya know? I take pride in my job, and I do my job well. I don't complain, I get along with everyone, I'm a "team player" so to speak. But geeze, this is just to much. I don't understand how I'm to blame for her f*ck up. I did the right thing. (IMO) I was out on time, now I'd just like to enjoy my day WITHOUT thinking about what is or isn't going on at work.

GloryDaze
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 12:26 PM
4 moms liked this
I'm sorry you're going through that. I once worked for a car rental company when I was in my early twenties and something much like this happened to me back then....this was a long time ago.

I remember working doubles and working days that were supposed to be my day off lots of times. I once worked three weeks straight for them with no days off and someone back then had actually told me that was against the law because they have to give days off but I never complained. Then one day I needed a day off after working three weeks straight. I was exhausted. So when the manager told me she needed me to come in the next day I told her I needed a day off...etc. well, I was threatened with termination. She said she would treat it like a no call - no show....and she did. I was fired. FOR TAKING MY DAY OFF AFTER THREE WEEKS.

I was only 20 at the time and clueless. It took me a long time to get another job and I couldn't figure out why. Finally, one place told me that the manager at the car rental place spoke very badly of me saying lies like that I often called off work etc... If I could go back in time I would do things differently. I would have made copies of all the time cards I punched showing all the days and hours I worked with no days off as proof and I would have sued the company for slander and defamation of character.

I'm just telling you this to try to warn you that companies can be really sleazy so please watch out for yourself. Make photo copies of your time cards and pay stubs and start keeping a daily journal about things just incase you need it if anything happens.

Good luck.
WillowRose24
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Great advice and thank you! :) I usually throw my time sheets out but I think that I'm going to keep them from now on. Plus I do have access to all my pay stubs with the hours worked so that should be good. The only reason that I took this job was because my back was up against a wall and I had to find a job like yesterday. DH and I were moving, we had car issues, & we just had a lot on our plate at the time.

I'll admit that this job has helped us out a pretty good bit. However with the small pay and stress level DH and I are both starting to question if it's even worth it anymore. He wants me to quit so he can pick up a second job but thats not fair to him, I am perfectly capable of working so there is no need for me not to. I just have to bear with it for 6 more months, Once the baby is here I'll be taking time off anyway.

I'm not so sure that I'll be returning to this company once I am ready to work again though...

happynewyorker
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 1:45 PM

It seems that they are taking advantage of you. In some companies the harder you work the more abuse u will get.  I had a friend that worked at Julliard school the fundraiser department. She never received overtime but when they had 3 employees leave they asked her to help for 6 months and then decided never to replace them.  She always helped out and never opened her mouth, until she was so exhaused that found a new job and let them know.

You can't look for a job because your pregnant.

My advice is that tomorrow, you go to work as your supervisor or the one in charge for a couple of minutes and let them know how you feel. Don't go on the attack. You didn't know the policy about the calling in and leaving a message but know for next time.  Then let them know that you feel that there are times you are carrying the weight for others.  Hey I hear you about the overtime, but once you make more than your tax bracket you'll owe on taxes.  So, sometimes the overtime hurts at the end of the year.  It's your decision to let them know that on your days off, please do not call me as my phone will be turned off.  Or not. But, turn your phone off or just don't receive any phone calls from work.

Remember to relax all this stress isn't good for you and the newest member of your family.

when the person that called in comes in, you should suggest she speak with the supervisor regarding policy. 

Best of luck!

WillowRose24
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Quoting happynewyorker:

It seems that they are taking advantage of you. In some companies the harder you work the more abuse u will get.  I had a friend that worked at Julliard school the fundraiser department. She never received overtime but when they had 3 employees leave they asked her to help for 6 months and then decided never to replace them.  She always helped out and never opened her mouth, until she was so exhaused that found a new job and let them know.

You can't look for a job because your pregnant.

My advice is that tomorrow, you go to work as your supervisor or the one in charge for a couple of minutes and let them know how you feel. Don't go on the attack. You didn't know the policy about the calling in and leaving a message but know for next time.  Then let them know that you feel that there are times you are carrying the weight for others.  Hey I hear you about the overtime, but once you make more than your tax bracket you'll owe on taxes.  So, sometimes the overtime hurts at the end of the year.  It's your decision to let them know that on your days off, please do not call me as my phone will be turned off.  Or not. But, turn your phone off or just don't receive any phone calls from work.

Remember to relax all this stress isn't good for you and the newest member of your family.

when the person that called in comes in, you should suggest she speak with the supervisor regarding policy. 

Best of luck!

That's just the thing, I've only been with this company for about two months. They knew I was pregnant when they hired me. That's neither here nor there though.. The thing is that within these two months I have received a raise, and promotion to "lead sales associate" Meaning that I am pretty much the night time keeper of the shit..I wondered how it was SO easy to get that title... and the one who quit, well she did try to warn me lol. Still people are not supposed to call me when they call out. I am not the "Manager" or the "Assistant Manager"

Plus they threw me into this position with no real knowledge of what my responsibilities are. Sure I'm the one who can get into the safe at night, do overrides, and what not. There's usually a list waiting for me upon arrival of the daily tasks I need to do. However as far as what to do in the case of a "call out" I figured that I handled it the correct way.

I'm learning that whatever you do for this place is just wrong. Period.

flaquitabss
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 2:54 PM
Screw work! Its your day off! Have fun!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 17, 2014 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

You've worked there too long.

squeekers
“The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.”— Richard David Bach (born 1936) Writer
Yesterday at 8:19 PM
by Member on Mar. 17, 2014 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN