Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

WTF is wrong with people?!?!?!?!!!!?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:13 PM
  • 33 Replies
5 moms liked this

So as you all know, the world we live in today is much different than it was back in the day growing up. I grew up in the 80's & can remember being able to play outside until the street lights came on without a parent being by my side. 

I seen on the news AGAIN, that there was an attempted child abduction in the St. Louis area. This is the 4th attempt in just a few weeks time. The first 2 happened in the county I live in. This last one was in a neighborhood not far from me. 

Normally I'm the type of mom to let my kids explore & learn. My husband & I were talking today & I started crying. I am so afraid now to let my kids out of my sight for even just a moment. My kids are 6, 17 & almost 18. I shouldn't have to be afraid to let them play outside in the yard without me being by their side.

I did talk to my youngest about it & I told him that if someone he doesn't know tries to get him to get in their car, offer him candy or whatever, to scream & run away as fast as he can. I am with him in the mornings when he gets on the bus & I am there when he gets off the bus after school. I am just really wondering what in God's name has gotten into people.

Are people really that sick & twisted that they want to take kids & hurt people? I can remember walking to the convenience store several blocks away as a kid. My mom didn't go with me. My brother & I used to play outside until the street lights came on at night. I remember walking a mile or so to the river as a teenager to go swimming. 

It really makes me afraid for my children to know what kind of world we are living in. I know kidnappings happen all the time all over, but these last few have just hit really close to home for me. I am to the point of not even wanting my son to ride the bus. I don't want to deny him the socialization he gets with friends on the bus, but I'm scared to even let him out of my sight.

Sorry it's so long, I just needed to get that off my chest. 

Mommas, please hug your kiddos extra tight tonight & let them know how much you love them. With all these sickos out there, I would hate for any of you to go through what these parents are dealing with.

by on Mar. 18, 2014 at 11:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gracef282
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 2:36 AM
Pretty much somes it up. Great post. Stay safe and watch those precious kids
MSJAP2010
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 2:52 AM
Thanks. It's sad that I'm afraid of letting them ride their bikes. Ugh, just makes me cry

Quoting gracef282: Pretty much somes it up. Great post. Stay safe and watch those precious kids
gracef282
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:15 AM
I must add though, that the saddest thing of all, is our children are no longer safe to roam freely or walk the streets alone. We wonder why there are more cars out on roads these days. Parents are having to supervise day and night. They are more petrified than ever before. Perhaps we all need to be more responsible now. No ifs or buts about it. This world has gotten crazier.

Quoting MSJAP2010: Thanks. It's sad that I'm afraid of letting them ride their bikes. Ugh, just makes me cry

Quoting gracef282: Pretty much somes it up. Great post. Stay safe and watch those precious kids
Yurixsi
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 3:19 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree on everything you wrote. I remember walking miles to different places and riding my bike all the time and camping out. I feel so bad my kids can not do the same.
lulalacroix
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 5:47 AM

I think one girl who was recently kidnapped and killed was 11 and playing in her front yard.  11 year olds are plenty old enough to play out front.  I hear ya and second your vent.  It's horrible.

MSJAP2010
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 9:05 AM
Right. At the age of 6, I was out riding my bike several blocks to my friends house. My curfew as a child, come home when street lights come on.
My kids will never know the pleasure of setting up a tent in the back yard to have a sleepover with friends. They won't know the pleasure of walking the city with their friends.
It just makes me really sad. Even my girls are afraid of going out by themselves.

Quoting Yurixsi: I agree on everything you wrote. I remember walking miles to different places and riding my bike all the time and camping out. I feel so bad my kids can not do the same.
eclaudin
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:20 AM
You're right, it's a very sad world. My daughter is 9, and even if she is just playing in the yard next door with other kids, I feel I have to either sit out there and watch or at minimum go out on my enclosed porch to check on them every 10-15 minutes. We live in a very safe, quiet neighborhood, but the houses are close to the street and just last year some 20 year old guy exposed himself to a little girl down the street who was playing in her fenced in backyard while her grandmother kept an eye on her through the kitchen window. Nowhere is safe anymore.
happynewyorker
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Teach ur younger child to never get close to a car they don't know.  When yelling yell fire instead of help.  Help doesn't really do much.  You yell fire and everyone pays attention. 

I grew up in the 60's and I use to live in Bronx, NY.  we stayed out late and would walk to the local grocery store to buy cigarettes.  which is unheard of now a days.  We moved when we got mugged at night coming home from the grocery store.  We lived in Queens, NY.  Very different and a seemly safe place to live.  I use to take the subway by myself at age 10. Going into the City or other areas in Queens. Being a city girl at that time, you learn from your instincts. 

It seems that you more scare of letting them grow and go out and see the world. 

People are twisted yes.  But, they don't care about hurting people care about what they want and how to get it.  I watch a lot of those ID shows on investigate discovery channel and children were being kidnapped in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and so on. Many no one heard about because internet wasn't available and other reasons.

We live in a wonderful world, you can't let all what you hear get the best of you.  We can't keep our children and ourselves locked up in a cage to protect them or us, because we are then hurting ourselves. 

I can relate on many aspects of what you're saying. I live in Westchester, NY.  where I live there are about 6 or 7 major highways around me.  My daughter isn't street smart as I was at her age. But, I let her go to places with me watching her from afar.  I have to start somewhere and learn to trust that she will get home and be safe. One thing I do in my area is be very sociable at the local stores near us. so if they see that she's in trouble they will come and help.  

alexabimom
by New Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Hailey Owens. She was walking to or from school. So sad :(

Quoting lulalacroix:

I think one girl who was recently kidnapped and killed was 11 and playing in her front yard.  11 year olds are plenty old enough to play out front.  I hear ya and second your vent.  It's horrible.

nerdymom28
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 1:01 PM

It really does suck. :( I live in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere in Kansas...when I moved here from the city (Cleveland area) I thought I would be safe. That things were different here. I see kids alone around here all the time, especially during the summer. They're allowed to walk or ride their bikes across town on their own to go to the pool, hang out at the park unsupervised, all that good stuff. This town is still very much a "leave after breakfast, don't come home until dark" kind of place. I figured this was a good place to raise kids, because it's safer here.

I was wrong. I was attacked at knife point in the first "assault with a deadly weapon" on the town's record in decades. Had I not thought and acted quickly, I wouldn't be here today. Because of that experience, and even though I see other parents let their kids do whatever, I still can't bring myself to let my girls play outside alone. I hate feeling this way, I wish this hadn't happened to me so I could still be blissfully ignorant. So I totally get what you're saying. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)