Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

biting your child to get them to stop biting?

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:23 AM
  • 294 Replies
1 mom liked this
Who would do this?

It's just teaching them it's ok to bite, in my opinion.
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KREX0914
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 11:17 AM
16 moms liked this

My daughter would bite and then laugh about it. After one time of biting her back, she no longer thought it was funny and never did it again. Worked on my cat, too.

However, I do see your premise. I think it is silly to punish children with a spanking for hitting other children. But that is probably just because I have never seen it work. If biting my daughter that one time didn't work, I probably wouldn't have done it again.

JaeSung
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmm. Now that is a bit different. I suppose it may depend on the reason the kid is biting.

If it's due to teething, for example, I say biting back is definitely not the answer.

Yeah. That's why I'm not a fan of physical punishment. I was treated that way, and all that did was cause me to hate and not respect my mom.
happynewyorker
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:22 PM
4 moms liked this

There are many parents that are STUPID!!  They create problems for their children!

I'd report them it's has to be a form of child abuse.

amandacr1026
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:40 PM
20 moms liked this

I have found that mainly kids bite cuz they think its funny and they have no idea how it hurts. Once they see how much it does hurt, they usually stop.

thefiregoddess
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:45 PM
6 moms liked this
Nope. My mom said when I was a toddler I walked up and bit into her leg. She screamed so loud in surprise I burst into tears and never did it again.

Something as simple as showing pain can stop the behavior.
annafntnt
by New Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:46 PM
8 moms liked this
I was brought up with whipping and corner and if I bit I got bit back... whether by my parents or the kid I bit... at first they let the kid bitw me back then when they did I never did it again.... I believe that without showin your kids what it feels like they dont know... my 4 year old thought it was funny to pull my hair I got tired of smackin his hand so one day when he did it I pulled a little on his hair ( theres a line btwn showing and abusing) and he hasnt done it since....
annafntnt
by New Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM
5 moms liked this
I was brought up with whipping and corner and if I bit I got bit back... whether by my parents or the kid I bit... at first they let the kid bitw me back then when they did I never did it again.... I believe that without showin your kids what it feels like they dont know... my 4 year old thought it was funny to pull my hair I got tired of smackin his hand so one day when he did it I pulled a little on his hair ( theres a line btwn showing and abusing) and he hasnt done it since....
annafntnt
by New Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this
sissy502
by Member on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:50 PM
5 moms liked this

I've seen people do this... I myself never have. But I've heard it works & that it does not teach kids to bite. (or that it's ok to bite) Much like pack animals... a mama dog will sometimes nip her pups ear when they are getting too aggressive. She isn't doing it to abuse or hurt them, she's teaching them. If a dog can get the message I guess a child can too. 

When my kids were biters I just waited until some kid bit them back & said something along the lines of "see, now you know how it feels". (oh sure I'd been telling them not biting & did time outs) But it never seemed to stop until they got bit back.

kimberliah78
by on Mar. 19, 2014 at 12:51 PM
3 moms liked this

I bit my mom once and she bit me back... I never bit again.  Luckily none of my boys were ever "biters" ... they're now 15, 13 and 9

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)