Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Three year old acting out...

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi all,

My 3 1/2 year old DS has been throwing things around the house. Luckily he knows better than to throw breakable things (he only throws papers and clothes that are laying out and likes to make a mess) and he doesn't listen when I tell him to stop. He ignores me and continues to do it and laughs like he knows what he's doing and wants to upset me and I don't understand why! He used to do this occasionally but now it's happening two times a day. I've been putting him in time outs for 3 mintues but it doesn't help. :( I don't know what else to do. Any advice would be appricated! TIA! :)

by on Mar. 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Calystas85
by New Member on Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Put the thing he throws in toy time out. It worked for me. 

momof4kids257
by on Mar. 22, 2014 at 12:54 AM
2 moms liked this

Your gonna have to be consistent with this phase. He's testing his authority over you and vis/versa. I went thru this with my 2nd child... when he would make a mess I gave him a laundry basket and told him it was time to clean up all the mess he just made. When he pitched a fit about it.. I took his hand..gently..and picked up one item and put it in the basket. then I said ok now your turn... if he kept pitching fits I just kept going with him. It finally got to the point in the end where he got sick of cleaning and quit doing it. As for the tantrums..I had 5 minutes per age in time out.

brittybby2010
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:01 AM

This. 

Quoting momof4kids257:

Your gonna have to be consistent with this phase. He's testing his authority over you and vis/versa. I went thru this with my 2nd child... when he would make a mess I gave him a laundry basket and told him it was time to clean up all the mess he just made. When he pitched a fit about it.. I took his hand..gently..and picked up one item and put it in the basket. then I said ok now your turn... if he kept pitching fits I just kept going with him. It finally got to the point in the end where he got sick of cleaning and quit doing it. As for the tantrums..I had 5 minutes per age in time out.

CafeMom Tickers
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this

It is his age and he is testing his boundaries.  It is age appropriate and normal. Be consistent and continue with whatever, discipline methods you have in place and it will pass within time. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 22, 2014 at 1:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Let me know if you figure it out. Mine has been doing that for 6 months now and he is 2.5 now. I have tried EVERYTHING. He doesn't care if I take the toys away, he thinks time out is fun, he thinks hitting and headbutting is fun. Just yeah.

BmoreRavens
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 5:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Purchase something that is safe and appropriate to throw in the house. Or use a good size trash can and make a game of throwing a very soft ball in it to see who can make the most "baskets"!l

Let your son know that he can only play this game with you or his dad ... AND ... that if he throws anything else you won't be able to play the game for a few days!

Try letting him get the throwing out of his system rather than punishing him for it! Who knows - with this practice - he may become a major league pitcher, someday!! :)

Product Details

Jungle Animal Character Bean Bag Toss Game by Fun Express

• Order in the next 9 hours and get it by Monday, Mar 24.
  • Only 5 left in stock - order soon.
  • More Buying Choices

Chrismom10
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Thank you all for the advice!! I'm going to try to be consistant, as well as making him cleanup after himself when he does it. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks again! :)

Chrismom10
by New Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Quoting BmoreRavens:

Purchase something that is safe and appropriate to throw in the house. Or use a good size trash can and make a game of throwing a very soft ball in it to see who can make the most "baskets"!l

Let your son know that he can only play this game with you or his dad ... AND ... that if he throws anything else you won't be able to play the game for a few days!

Try letting him get the throwing out of his system rather than punishing him for it! Who knows - with this practice - he may become a major league pitcher, someday!! :)

Jungle Animal Character Bean Bag Toss Game by Fun Express

• Order in the next 9 hours and get it by Monday, Mar 24.
  • Only 5 left in stock - order soon.
  • More Buying Choices

This sounds like a gfeat idea that I need to try! Thanks! :

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN