Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

"Baby Girl"....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 32 Replies

Does anyone else find this expression to be degrading and offensive?

I constantly see people using it.  On FB you will see, "My BABY GIRL scored a run in soft ball today!  I'm so proud of my BABY GIRL!"  (ummm babies DO NOT play softball)  Mean while the girl is 14 y/o on the junior team and she is NOT the youngest in her family... 

Or I know a young lady who signs off #BABYGIRL to everything.  I find it hard to take anything she says or does seriously.

Or a guy I know calls his g/f Baby Girl... and then treats her like she is less than him.

Babies are small and defenseless.  They need others to do EVERYTHING for them.  Is this how we want to raise our daughters?  To go back to a stage of infantilism to have others do everything FOR them? To have no sense of self worth unless others tell you what the worth is?

OK....

Comments?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 22, 2014 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eesmommy
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 4:02 PM
My children will always be my babies.... that's the reality they must learn to deal with. I think its most often used as a term of endearment and pride. I have never found it offensive.
lovleopards
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 4:05 PM
My kids will always be my babies, they are my baby girls.
aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 4:08 PM

I'm 28 and my Mom still calls me baby girl. It still makes me smile every time! It's a nick name she's called me since the day I was born, why would she stop?

amandacr1026
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 4:13 PM

For me its purely just loving on my baby girl... However... she is my baby girl.. she's a year old and my only one so yeah... I don't find it insulting though.. I don't think it means that they are a baby.. its just like a couple calling each other babe or baby.. its a term of endearment.

lucky2Beeme
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see it as degrading. I see it as endearing.
AlwaysKISA
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Is it the same for baby boy? Because I call mine baby boys. I am well aware that they are not babies, but they are MY babies. They always will be..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennyanndiana
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I don't mind parents using it in reference to their (even grown) children.  But when adult men use it for their significant others, I just want to punch them. 

JaeSung
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 5:47 PM
I don't find it degrading for parents to use this phrase.
little.worthen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:13 PM

my babies will always be my babies

JustDennise
by Member on Mar. 22, 2014 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

My babies are my babies.. and I call them my babygirl/boy... I don't want someone other than my mother calling me babygirl though. And I don't want my daughter nicknaming herself babygirl.  There is a HUGE difference between me calling my children babygirl/boy and a boy calling my daughter babygirl.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)