Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Spell the Name Correctly!! *Updated*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 156 Replies
8 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Name spelling

Options:

Spell it the common way

Youneeq Spellyngs R Awwsum!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 126

View Results

New kid in the nursery today.  Phonic way of spelling the name is "Emily." This kid's name is spelled "Emaliegh."

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?!?!?! 

I've heard the arguements: "It looks pretty spelled this way" and "It makes it Unique."

1) Outside of the kid's precious baby room where those adorable Michael's letters spell her name correctly, NO ONE WILL GUESS EMALIEGH when she verbally says, "Emily."  It will be a life long process of correcting everyone who has to spell her name based on the sounds coming out of her mouth.

2) How often do you see your name spelled out as an adult?  Office plaque, mail, certificates, diplomas, name tags... but really, how important is it in the day to day verbal life that Emily be Emaliegh to distinguish it from the next Emily up the line?  Compared to how many times we speak our name to having it written out, in my experience, is huge. 

3) It's not a "multiple spelling name."  Sure, Katherine and Deborah and and Barbara and Stephanie and countless other names have multiple spellings that we've all grown to come to get clarification on the spelling.  But why, WHY, do parents feel their child must be the revolutionary trail blazer to bring life to a new spelling of a freakin' common name!

4) Which brings me to: It's a COMMON NAME!  It's not like Emily is one of those names no one has ever heard of before.  If you want your darling daughter to have some unique quality then name her some Muslim or Arabic or African tribal name that isn't used in the United States.  Don't try to pretend that you've created a unique name just because everytime she calls her bank she'll have to spell that obnoxious jumble of letters out for the poor person on the phone who thought it was just "Emily."  Because that's how Emily is spelled.

**New Point** 5) As so many of you have pointed out: people can't spell anyway!  People have complained about their common names and their less common, but traditionally spelled names being spelled wrong often.  So why add the additional landmines in a traditional, generic name like Emily?

My advance "apaullageezes" to all the Moms out there who just love spelling their child's name by pulling letters out of a scrabble bag.  I know you just love your little child's "youneeq" name spelling, but it drives me nuts.  ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE GOING TO GET ALL HUFFY BECAUSE THE COMMON WAY I SPELLED THE NAME ON THE NAME TAG DIDN'T MATCH YOUR LEVEL OF "KREEATIVITEE!"

**To everyone who have pointed out that this isn't a big deal**
It's not.  The majority of the time I inwardly roll my eyes and move on.  The mom who dropped off Emaliegh to nursery was rather rude and upset that I spelled her kid's name Emily.  It was absurd and frustrating how she handled the situation and so I vented on CM.  I don't go off on a handle everytime I log in some crazy spelled name... just when I'm expected to ace someone's idea of a Unique Baby Name Spelling Bee.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 23, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 6:28 PM
2 moms liked this

LOL.

JaeSung
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 6:43 PM
2 moms liked this
I see no problem with unique spellings. Long as it's not a bizarre name.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 23, 2014 at 6:46 PM
2 moms liked this

There is no problem with unique spellings.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2014 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

That's the whole point of unique names, as far as I can see them.

Isaac isn't a bizarre name.  Eyezak, yes, I've seen it, is a bizarre name.  Freakenomics discussed a study that revealed California parents had named their children 220 differently spelled versions of “Unique” in the past four decades.  Can you think of 220 unique ways to spell Unique?  I'd think past the first dozen spellings you could come up with the name Unique would start looking bizarre.

Quoting JaeSung: I see no problem with unique spellings. Long as it's not a bizarre name.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 23, 2014 at 7:56 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't mind the unique spellings but do NOt get all upset when someone spells it wrong.  My daughter's name is unique and we always have to spell it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Mom's that name their kids unique names should say, "*I* have no problem with unique spellings."  In all honesty, they aren't the ones who have to deal with the name for the rest of their existance.  However, you are right.  There is no legal problem with unique spellings.

It should be a legally binding part of the birth certificate process that if the spelling does not show up in the average 200,000 name Baby Book that the parent must sign documentation that they will not get huffy when people don't automatically spell little Awsten's name correctly.

Starbucks Baristas should not be the subject to harsh criticism because they didn't guess Ashleigh and put Ashley instead.  Volunteers making name badges that didn't anticipate that there wasn't a random, silent z in junior's name should go without attitude adjustements.  Little Jazzmin's parents should fork over $20 everytime they get snippy because a package or letter comes to Jasmine instead.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is no problem with unique spellings.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I use to not care, but I think it use to not be as outrageous as it is now.  Occasionally there would be a Y instead of an I or an EE instead of a Y.  Okay, fine.  Now it just seems like people want to test the limits of Hooked on Phonics.  Names are starting to look like the phonics explanation of words found in the dictionary.

Isaac has been spelled Eyezak.  What is that?!  When Eyezak was dropped off to me I thought his parents were not educated.  What's the point of butchering the name?  Does it make the name special?  Does it make it better?  To me it just seems like a kid who will never find their name on a souvenir mug, and will forever have things given to him with it misspelled.  When I have to direct the kid in activities it doesn't sound any different than "Isaac" so what's the point of making it a constant written hassle?

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't mind the unique spellings but do NOt get all upset when someone spells it wrong.  My daughter's name is unique and we always have to spell it.

NativeMamaDuke
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

LMAO Agreed!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:31 PM

My dad who turns 72 in a month went to school with a girl named EmmaLee, so it's not exactly a new trend, but I'm still not fond of it! 

teri4lance
by Member on Mar. 23, 2014 at 8:41 PM

hate trendeigh names. so stupid. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)