Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Mil thinks she can name my son!

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 11:25 PM
  • 145 Replies
3 moms liked this
Today was talking to my mil an she asks if we have any names picked for our ds who is due in July. I told her no and that we probably would just keep the options to ourselves until we liked his name then would tell everyone what it will be. (I shared a name I was in love with and everyone made fun and was nasty about it so not sharing anymore) mil looked at me and told me "your not gonna like this cuz you've already told me you don't like this name but I have kinda named him Aaron Carl and that's what I refer to him as. When I pray for him I pray for little Aaron Carl." I just stared at her dumbfounded. What kind of lunatic tells their dil regardless of your feelings on the matter I plan to refer to your coming child with a name you dislike!? She finally said "I guess when you pick a name I'll probably have to start using that instead". Ummmm duh yes you will have to use the name dh and I pick for OUR child. I finally just told her she was going to have to get over it because that would not be his name. Honestly the level of crazy with this woman is so high it's almost funny really really annoying but good grief she's gotta be a complete nut to think that would be acceptable!?

P.s. I do not wish to upset anyone who used either of those names they just aren't for us not a name I would personally use I just don't care for the name Aaron. Carl is in the running to be a second middle name but only because his daddy's name is carl
by on Mar. 29, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 29, 2014 at 11:30 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm sorry MIL is so crazy.. My mil bitched about our sons name too.. Simply bc she's a Christian and to her anything different is horrible. I sometimes laugh in MIL face when she says things that make me really angry, it's really the only thing that keeps me from throat chopping her..
MrsSumner3
by Member on Mar. 29, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Yeah I told my mil that names are really important to dh and I we want something unique but it has to grow with him with a girl this doesn't matter as much but a guy needs a stronger name when he's an adult imo. And also has to have a good meaning to which she replied "oh how about john"........uh how is that unique? I mean ignoring the fact that both dh's sisters married guys named john, ever hear of a John Doe? I mean it is literally the least unique name ever. This is just the most recent in a long string of craziness coming from her last time she was over she sat and started eating my two year old DD's lunch right off her plate I tried to politely tell her that that was DD's lunch and I'd like dd to eat it all by herself and she ignored me finally after about 8 tries I just flat out old her to quit eating DD's food when my husband came inside the spycho tried to tattle on me! He of course was on my side but good grief! Hubby tells me I need to just put my foot down and tell her she's being annoying or stupid and needs to shut up but I find it really difficult to do that with anyone let alone my 65 year old mil! Idk though I'm usually a pretty patient person but she is pushing it I'm way to exhausted and stressed as it is to deal with her craziness

Quoting Anonymous: I'm sorry MIL is so crazy.. My mil bitched about our sons name too.. Simply bc she's a Christian and to her anything different is horrible. I sometimes laugh in MIL face when she says things that make me really angry, it's really the only thing that keeps me from throat chopping her..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:36 AM
When I had my oldest daughter, my mother used to refuse to call her by her first name because it wasn't a "J" name, and would call her by her middle name instead.

I think my family is still mad at me for not naming my 2nd daughter Julie.

They're not going to like my son's name either...guess it's a good thing they're my kids, and their names are my choice.

Anyway, I feel your pain with the craziness lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:39 AM

That's just damn crazy! Wth?!

Adrianne122005
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 12:50 AM
Is it possible she was trying to manipulate you into choosing a name sooner rather than later?
shiny76
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:31 AM

my MIL HATED my sons first name. She told me she'd called him by his middle name..sure enough once he was born she caved into the name finally

Valentina327
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:43 AM
2 moms liked this
Well you won't give her a name to use... better than her praying for IT! LOL
TJandKarasMom
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I don't like my son's name, lol.  My ex chose it and I went along with it.  He has the same first name as my ex and his father, so Grandpa is Tom, my ex was Tommy...so we decided to call ours TJ (his middle name starts with J...all three have different middle names).  My parents refused to call him TJ and called him Tommy for quite some time (since I and my family called my ex Tom).  They finally gave in and called him TJ. 

Last year my brother had a kid and they call him JJ.  I think it's odd to kind of copy that...no one else in our family goes by initials and my parents were really against it with TJ.  But since JJ is the third Jeffrey, that's what they decided to do I guess.  My parents are totally fine with that.  I call him Baby Nemo (he was born during a bizzard- "Winter Storm Nemo").

Anyway, I think this fad of keeping baby names a secret is stupid.  People need to man up, people are going to give you a hard time about names, you can't make everyone happy.  But the ultimate decision is up to you. It sucks that people are nasty about it, but in the end, it shouldn't have an effect on what you name your child.  I honestly don't ask people what they are going to name their child, it's their business not mine.  I will find out when they decide to announce the baby's birth...but not everyone is like me I guess.

Good luck, she really does sound crazy. lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Ugh... We named our first Athena Skye, my MIL said "Athena sounds ethnic" and told us they would call her "Skye." 

Fine, whatever... but you will never see her unless you call her by her name.

Second rolls around and we name her Alexandra. We were going to call her "Ally" but it didn't seem fitting at birth so we switched to "Lex." They don't like this so they tried the same thing... Call her what they want... I wouldn't let them into the NICU to visit her... and they flew in from Michigan, MIL was never able to see her in the NICU because of it. 

lucy164
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 2:00 PM
3 moms liked this

My mother tried to name my daughter.  It didn't happen!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN