Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DH wants to adopt SILs DD

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
My SIL is selfish, self centered, and a bit on the crazy side. She had her baby 3 months premature and spent the 3 months her DD was in the nicu partying. Now my MIL who is mentally unstable, is raising our niece. SIL gets money from her babys dad & spends it on herself. So today DH was talking to MIL and told her if she can't handle raising the baby we would take her. First- that's fine with me. I'd do it in a heartbeat. However, he never once asked me what I thought! He simply volunteers me! Firstly, I would be the one raising her. She has medical issues, which means more time at the doctors for me, and starting all over with an infant! I'm responsible for 95% of childcare in our home as a SAHM.

I'm more upset that he didn't even discuss this with me before offering than that he actually offered! Am I being unreasonable?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Adrianne122005
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 3:30 AM
1 mom liked this
He should've discussed it with you. Maybe he's just really emotionally over this poor little baby and wants to give her a better home with you and thought you felt the same way without needing to ask? Either way he should've asked you first.
schultzal
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:08 AM
Maybe he offered in the heat of the moment, if they were having a disagreement?

I totally agree that it is something he should have discussed with you.
dawnrothbaum
by Member on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Taking a baby into your home should be something you both agree on, no matter the situation. How many kids do you have now? Can you afford another one? Will your insurance cover the babies medical visits?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 30, 2014 at 9:25 AM
I wouldn't agree to raise someone else child . My child is put first. Sorry but I already told dh that if something happened to his skank and her husband those kids were not coming here.
nurse1997
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:27 AM

He most likely was just caught up in the moment and your man knows u well and knew u would be ok with it . 

Pink.Frosting
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I would feel the same way you do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 30, 2014 at 4:16 PM
We have two kids. Yes we could afford another and yes our insurance would cover her.

Quoting dawnrothbaum:

Taking a baby into your home should be something you both agree on, no matter the situation. How many kids do you have now? Can you afford another one? Will your insurance cover the babies medical visits?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)