Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

Shes getting a root canal and crowning done.  What do I expect from this?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:25 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Is it a surgery? Do they knock her out?

BmoreRavens
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

A BIG bill!! Hopefully, you have dental insurances or a dental discount plan! :)

DisabledVet
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:59 PM

A large bill and she may be in some pain but in a day or 2 she will feel better. It's not a major thing.

Some gave all and all gave some. Remember your rights as an American were earned with the blood of others. Don't waste them and please do your duty as a citizen and vote intelligently in every election.

JoanahLee
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 3:08 PM

If shes got a good dentist she will experience a bit of pain during the first few minutes while the numbing medicine is injected into her gums, after that it will just be scary, not painful.  

How old is she?  If they are not planning on knocking her out for the procedure speak to your dentist about giving her a double douse of antihistamine right before the appointment.  

After the appointment she will be a big groggy and her mouth will be numb for several hours.  Avoid feeding her till she can feel everything so she does not bite her tongue or cheeks.  

Once the numbing wears off, expect some pain and soreness. If she is perscribed pain pills use them for the first night for sure.  Soup and ice cream for dinner and an ice or heat pack on the face at bedtime.   

She should be back to almost 100% by the morning, with maybe a little sore jaw or a bit of pain while eating.   If there is still pain on day 3 or 4, call her dentist, she should be back to normal by then. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:32 PM

She is 16 and she doesn't want to gete it done.  We have dental insurance.  Just alone it costs $1,080 for the crown.  That's after the root canal.  My insurance pays 80%.  I just don't want her to have to go through pain. 

JTE11
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:12 AM

I've had root canals and crowns done and the only pain I had was getting the Novocaine injections (just the pinch of the needles, not a big deal) and then afterward my jaw was sore from having been open for so long while the dentist worked. There is always some soreness and sometime achiness in the jaw but nothing big. The root canals haven't been painful for me, they always use enough medication. I'd tell her to just relax and go with it. If she feels anything, stop the dentist and ask for another shot. My dentist has a special hand signal that he tells his patients to use if we decide we need another shot while he is working, there is no fear of pain. It's not the best way to spend a few hours but there are a lot worse.

teaandcookies
by Katherine on Apr. 5, 2014 at 3:11 AM

tell her its like most things in life, uncomfortable and scary, but there is a benifit, and she will feel much much better once its done.. see if they can give her some nox, it cost extra but she wont remember anything.  At 16 she may have a reaction to the anestitic if she hasnt had any surgery let her dentist know.  By not having it don, it can damage both teeth on either side and damage her jaw.  Is is absesed too?

Quoting Anonymous:

She is 16 and she doesn't want to gete it done.  We have dental insurance.  Just alone it costs $1,080 for the crown.  That's after the root canal.  My insurance pays 80%.  I just don't want her to have to go through pain. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)