Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

About to lose my sh*t -_-

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:23 AM
  • 26 Replies
My sister in law lived with us this past month and a half because she just recently got a job where we live and needed a place to stay until she could come up with something different. My husband works rotating shifts in the coal mine and we live in a very very small town. I stay at home and tend to absolutely everything that needs to be taken care of at home. Cleaning, cooking, laundry...etc. I was taking online classes but have decided to take some time off. I am 31 weeks and this pregnancy has been extremely rough. Anyways... my sister in law shows up with all of her things including a dog that I was unaware of. I have my own dog and we have a back yard so I didn't think much of it. No big deal...right? This dog is horrid. Absolutely horrid. Sweet, but so not disciplined in any way. Its scratched my leather couch and hard wood floors, digs in the yard, is obnoxious all the time, digs in the back yard, sheds horrid, jumps and scrapes the glass doors, and cries the whole time its left outside. Its a stupid dog and I hate it. My sister in law works rotating shifts on the trains here and does 7 on and 7 off. So guess who gets to deal with the demon dog? Me. I feed it, take care of it, and clean up after it. Not one time has she mopped the floors or vacuumed since she moved in. Its awful. I feel like a work so hard to keep my house nice and clean and her dog ruins it within 2 seconds. It just gets soooo old redoing what I just did. I am not a sloppy person and like to keep my things nice. My sister in law is sweet and I don't want to cause an issue with her so I don't complain. She knows how hard I work to keep the house nice and she watches me do it all. You think she would get the point right? If your dog tracks mud in...wipe it up! Vacuum the hair!

So she just recently moved out of the house about a week ago with her boyfriend. They got an apartment down the road. She told me she would be back the next day after moving out to clean the downstairs. Never came back to do any of it. My family is coming to stay so I spent hours cleaning the entire downstairs. I am still cleaning up black dog hair and had to throw away my comfortor because the dog ruined it.

Today I spent the entire day mopping and cleaning because we had snow storms this last week and everything was a muddy mess. I got all caught up on laundry and dishes. The house looks great. We are going back to our hometown for the weekend and I wanted a nice clean house to come home to so my hubby and I could relax together. I have to go to town tomorrow to renew my car's plates and she texted asking if her and her bf could come over for a bit to watch our netflix cuz they haven't had the chance to get a tv and settled in to their place. So I agreed. What am I supposed to say? They are bringing the dog over too. I know that when I come home the floors will be a mess and there will be hair everywhere ;-( I asked if she could keep the dogs outside while I am gone since I just cleaned and she didn't say much. I am sure the dog will scratch the hell out of our glass doors. Did I mention all the dog poop she never took care of? Yeah...

On top of everything else, my baby shower was cancelled this weekend due to distant family matter. I have been looking forward to it for months. I don't know anyone in this town and was looking forward to seeing all my friends and family back home. The only other time I could go back to have it would be when I am 37 weeks and thats just too risky for me to be away from my hospital. ;-( so I won't be able to have a shower until after baby is here. He is due June 2 but I have had a lot of trouble keeping him in so I doubt he will go to 40 weeks. If we have a baby shower bbq like we wanted it probably won't be until the end of june or beginning of july. I am so sad. We are completely unprepared because everyone told us not to buy anything until after my shower. .. but now I don't have one and we will be spending tons of money at one time. I am just overwhelmed and upset... I am going to have a massive mental breakdown.

Sorry for sp errors... I typed this on my phone.
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FitMom479
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:23 AM
Oh and she lived with us rent free...
littlesippycup
by iloveanons on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:27 AM
2 moms liked this

Tell her no. Tell her you just can't handle the extra cleaning right now. Please tell her no =(

FitMom479
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:31 AM
Its just so hard to tell her no because I know she will take it the wrong way. I wish my husband was around more to deal with her. I don't have a mean bone in my body and I am worried I will cause an issue. If it were my real sister it would be so different. Its just so manh little things all at once. I can't sleep because my chest is just full of pressure and I am just upset.

Quoting littlesippycup:

Tell her no. Tell her you just can't handle the extra cleaning right now. Please tell her no =(

littlesippycup
by iloveanons on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:37 AM
1 mom liked this

If she takes it the wrong way that's on her and doesn't reflect on you. I do hope you find a way that will work for you =( At least be firm about the dogs staying outside. She's ridiculous and taking advantage of you. 

I'm really sorry about your baby shower, that's a real drag =( I wish I could give you a hug. Not a creepy hug LOL

Quoting FitMom479: Its just so hard to tell her no because I know she will take it the wrong way. I wish my husband was around more to deal with her. I don't have a mean bone in my body and I am worried I will cause an issue. If it were my real sister it would be so different. Its just so manh little things all at once. I can't sleep because my chest is just full of pressure and I am just upset.
Quoting littlesippycup:

FitMom479
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:43 AM
Thanks, love. I feel like I am overreacting and being a hormonal baby but I have just had it lol. I am going to tell her again to leave them outside. My dog is great. She doesn't shed, is well mannered, and doesn't really leave the deck so no mud is ever tracked in. My baby shower was my biggest disappointment this week and is just getting to me. It was the kne fun thing out of my pregnancy that I couldn't wait for. Then she is just the cherry on the cake lol I just wanna cry. If I come home tomorrow and the floor is a mess I am just gonna grab my bags and head back to my family's early. My husband was going to come later anyways. I just cant take it.

Quoting littlesippycup:

If she takes it the wrong way that's on her and doesn't reflect on you. I do hope you find a way that will work for you =( At least be firm about the dogs staying outside. She's ridiculous and taking advantage of you. 

I'm really sorry about your baby shower, that's a real drag =( I wish I could give you a hug. Not a creepy hug LOL

Quoting FitMom479: Its just so hard to tell her no because I know she will take it the wrong way. I wish my husband was around more to deal with her. I don't have a mean bone in my body and I am worried I will cause an issue. If it were my real sister it would be so different. Its just so manh little things all at once. I can't sleep because my chest is just full of pressure and I am just upset.

Quoting littlesippycup:

Droyal14u
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Sadly, you feel obligated because she's your sister in law. Sadly, she totally took advantage of you. Sadly, you didn't say NO when you should have. Sadly, she will continue to take advantage of you until you put your foot down. I wish you luck.  You can only be taken advantage of, if you allow it. It's not mean to want your home clean. It's not inconsiderate to ask her to clean up after her stupid dog. It's not rude to say NO.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:54 AM
Do you have more kids? Does she have kids? I feel like she was being a little rude and taking advantage of you and your generosity. You're not her housewife, you're home to tend to your husband and home, not to tend to her and her needs. She's a guest and should've been more respectful. She probably felt that because you're home and she works, you should be the one to clean up but again, she's a guest who needed a favor from you guys and she shouldn't have been a burden to anyone. I'm sorry about your babyshower being canceled. You should definitely still have one even if it's after the baby is born. And try to relax sweetie, don't let her or anyone else get you upset. Think about the joy of having your little one being born :)
Tasha911471
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:00 AM
2 moms liked this
Is this your first baby ? If so don't worry little ones don't need much . A place to sleep , eat, poo and cry . Stress less and try to enjoy more , refuse to let everything or anyone ruin this beautiful time . And tell her you have the pest control man coming around while you are away it probably wouldn't be really safe for her to be there without her having a mask to wear to come around . Lol I know it isn't honest but sometimes a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do !
FitMom479
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Yes, this is my first baby. Its been a pretty rough experience. I think I am just emotional and overwhelmed. Its all so new to me and it just feels like a lot all at one time has been going on. I just need to take a giant chill pill and not care so much lol. Bleck. Thank you.

Quoting Tasha911471: Is this your first baby ? If so don't worry little ones don't need much . A place to sleep , eat, poo and cry . Stress less and try to enjoy more , refuse to let everything or anyone ruin this beautiful time . And tell her you have the pest control man coming around while you are away it probably wouldn't be really safe for her to be there without her having a mask to wear to come around . Lol I know it isn't honest but sometimes a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do !
bcauseimthemom
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Why did you tell her that it was OK to come and watch the Netflix??  If you felt obligated, why not tell her the fucking dog could stay home??  Sounds like she knows you are a doormat ane she is going to continue to wipe her feet on you until you say NO..... You are only going to be treated like this because you ALLOW her to do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)