Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Pulling ds from his school

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 69 Replies
So i went to pick my ds up 10 mins early yesterday. The woman at the front desk told me i had to wait until he got out. Hmm hello im his mother i can pick him up when i please. Then they sent a notice home talking about my child needed services and if i do not attend they will make a decision without me. They are over stepping their boundaries. And i can not take any more. They think they are his parents.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Morrigan333
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:47 AM
1 mom liked this

At my dd's school if I need to get her early..I just tell the office staff we have a dentist.Dr.s appt to be at right then. They can't NOT let your kid out for that. However, they rreally aren't going to let you take ds out early just because you're there and would like to. It has to be a valid reason. I'd just give them one that was plasible, even if it wasn't really the case.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:05 AM
It was 10 mins before they normally get out. I had my car running. And besides im his mother. If a school treats parents like shit. They will find another school. That when they a realize they are not the parents.

Quoting Morrigan333:

At my dd's school if I need to get her early..I just tell the office staff we have a dentist.Dr.s appt to be at right then. They can't NOT let your kid out for that. However, they rreally aren't going to let you take ds out early just because you're there and would like to. It has to be a valid reason. I'd just give them one that was plasible, even if it wasn't really the case.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Most schools in my area have a no taking the child out in the last half hour of school, unless its an emergency because of how crazy it gets. Or if you send a note in to have the child ready and waiting.......

And what services are you speaking of

kerryket
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:34 AM
What kind of services, what's going on with your kid?
BrittO2
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:08 AM

I don't think them asking/telling you to wait 10 minutes was unreasonable. I always call the school so DS has time to get his stuff together before I get there. It takes time for them to pack their bags, get what they need for homework and whatever other items together. 

As for services I don't believe they can do anything without your signature. They can say he needs them but you are normally required to sign off on them.

JustDennise
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:35 AM
3 moms liked this

It's a very common practice not to allow early release in the last half hour of school these days.  You'll be hard pressed to find a school that doesn't have that rule.  In fact, your school has probably emailed you that rule earlier in the year, or sent a paper about it home if your child's school doesn't email.  

Pretty selfish of you to act like that over a rule that is in place to keep the school safe, and try to have after school pick up go as smoothly for EVERYONE as possible.  

As far as "services" what kind of services are you talking about?  There's a whole slew of things that could mean.  From reading intervention, to actually being in a special ed class.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:24 PM
I have no idea but she claimed they do not need parental consent.

Quoting BrittO2:

I don't think them asking/telling you to wait 10 minutes was unreasonable. I always call the school so DS has time to get his stuff together before I get there. It takes time for them to pack their bags, get what they need for homework and whatever other items together. 

As for services I don't believe they can do anything without your signature. They can say he needs them but you are normally required to sign off on them.

BrittO2
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Maybe ask them what kind of services they are recommending for him. I doubt they are going to recommend anything he couldn't benefit from at least a little. Even the brightest of children can benefit from a little extra help

Quoting Anonymous: I have no idea but she claimed they do not need parental consent.
Quoting BrittO2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:30 PM

They legally cannot refuse to release your child to you or those on the "green" card.

They also legally cannot test your child without your consent. Though they can decide on a diagnosis if you choose not to attend the meeting after testing is complete.

facethetruth2b
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:34 PM

In both of my childrens schools the policy was I can not sign them out 30 mintues prior to the dismissal bell . If I knew I had to go somewhere and did not have the time to wait for the busses I would call the office and have them send my children out for car riders .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)