Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

little boys with pierced ears

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM
  • 521 Replies
2 moms liked this

My 6yr. boy is begging me to get his ears pierced.  He loves Minecraft online and that love extended to all kinds of stones, jewels and gems.  He would love to have stones in his ears.  His 9yr old sister just got hers pierced and he watched the whole process and has listened in on all her research on how to care for them and possible infections warnings.  I mentioned to him that some kids might tease him and call him a girl.  He says he doesn't care because his friends know he is a boy.  He also has grown his hair long and sometimes has been called a girl.  He just laughs and corrects the person.  He likes the way his hair shakes in his face and thinks long hair is pretty.  He wants both ears pierced and long hair but he's all boy otherwise.  He loves video games, digging in the dirt, baseball, outerspace.  He dressed in athletic pants and star wars shirts or baseball shirts.  Would you let him get his ears pierced?  Am I just making too big of a deal about it and should just do it?

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:52 AM
34 moms liked this

I wouldn't let him do it while he was under my roof, but that's just me.  Personal bias aside (as I don't think men should have pierced ears - period), I really think 6 is too young.  As a compromise I'd say your sister got it done at 9, you can get it done at 9 if you still want it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 8:53 AM
7 moms liked this
He's only six!

When I was six I wanted to be an astronaut I'm a mall security guard now LOL

He may want it now but he might not want it later . I think that you should let him use clip on earrings until a permanent decision should be made at a more appropriate age.

They also have cool earrings that are just little stickers that go on to ear lobes
ProudMom8643
by New Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:13 AM
10 moms liked this

If you don't have a problem with it then go right ahead. At this age kids are exploring and  expressing themselves the best way they could. I would do it. You should saitisfy his curiosity before it becomes rebellion.. It's harmless.. He can always take it out if he no longer wants it. My son wanted one of his ears pierced so I got it for him. My father hated it and he wanted me to take it out, I told him if he wants it, it's staying in. Well, one day my father told him he has a bike for him but he won't get it until he takes the earring out. With no hesitation he took it out! lol He got over it quick.

NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:02 AM
3 moms liked this

i dont allow piercings of any sort till middle school.  girl or boy.  

kelz00
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:20 AM
10 moms liked this

My 13 year old just got his ears pierced this last weekend. Now his little brother wants them done. He's 5, we are taking him this weekend to get his pierced. My daughter, she's 1, will have her's pierced when she can tell me she wants them done.

Rosehawk
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

If he wants to, I don't see the problem. There is a boy in my daughter's 1st grade class that has those spacer/stretcher things in his ears.

wickedstepjenn
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:26 PM
2 moms liked this
My 12 almost 13yr ss just got both peirced. I tried to talk him into just one but he swears its normal now for 2 on boys. I feel old lol. 6 is a bit young for me personally but if your ok with it I say go for it. They can be taken out.
womanwifemomof3
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:47 PM
8 moms liked this

Quoting Rosehawk:

If he wants to, I don't see the problem. There is a boy in my daughter's 1st grade class that has those spacer/stretcher things in his ears.

I would never allow stretcher things until the kid was legal to do it on their own because if the kid gets older and decides to change his style, he can take them out but his ears won't look the same.  

Rosehawk
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally, I wouldn't either, but that kid is not mine, so.......He's a sweet kid though, real nice and respectful.

Quoting womanwifemomof3:

Quoting Rosehawk:

I would never allow stretcher things until the kid was legal to do it on their own because if the kid gets older and decides to change his style, he can take them out but his ears won't look the same.  

womanwifemomof3
by Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting wickedstepjenn: My 12 almost 13yr ss just got both peirced. I tried to talk him into just one but he swears its normal now for 2 on boys. I feel old lol. 6 is a bit young for me personally but if your ok with it I say go for it. They can be taken out.

I don't know the style for kids any more these days so it's good to hear that a 12 yr. old thinks its fine and stylish for boys.  I don't mind earrings on boys personally.  I like it better without but its his body.  I just don't want him badly teased.  I discussed my concern with him but he doesn't think it will be a problem for him. But he is only 6yr.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)