Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stop sending your contagious kids to school!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

My daughter is 4 years old.  She needs to attend a preschool with a structured program.  She has some issues that can't be addressed by an inhome situation/babysitter.  She also has viral induced asthma which means any time she's around someone who is sick with anything contagious, she's going to get it and then she's going to get a severe asthma flare on top of it.  She's missed alot of school and I had to quit my job because of attendance issues related to her illnesses. 

I understand that parents need to work but I hate when parents try to be sneaky and send their kids to school knowing that they are sick with things like runny nose that they wipe their hands and arm with or the cough that that they spread on the toys because they won't cover their cough.  Or you send them with a fever of 100.2 because hey you gave them fever reducer and it wasn't 100.4. 

The one that really got me was the parent whose kid had the runs and messed up 4 pairs of underwear all before leaving the house.  It's a school not a hospital.

Before I have people telling me to climb down off my high horse, I am NOT talking to the parents who send a kid who has a minor illness or the parents who don't realize their kids are sick when they bring them in..sometimes it's hard to tell what is actually illness or just an allergy. I get it.  I'm talking to the parents who have kids that are obviously sick with something that can be spread and consistently send the kids to school.

Rant over.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
HaroldsMom
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I know what you mean that is something I will have to deal with when I sand my son to school simple frown

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

If I kept my son or daughter home for a runny nose, they'd never go to school. They have allergies that we just can't seem to control. A runny nose doesn't always mean illness.

If I kept my kids home for what you call a fever again they'd never go to school. DS runs warm at 99.8 so there could be says where he goes to school with a temp of 100 or higher.

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter is 4 years old.  She needs to attend a preschool with a structured program.  She has some issues that can't be addressed by an inhome situation/babysitter.  She also has viral induced asthma which means any time she's around someone who is sick with anything contagious, she's going to get it and then she's going to get a severe asthma flare on top of it.  She's missed alot of school and I had to quit my job because of attendance issues related to her illnesses. 

I understand that parents need to work but I hate when parents try to be sneaky and send their kids to school knowing that they are sick with things like runny nose that they wipe their hands and arm with or the cough that that they spread on the toys because they won't cover their cough.  Or you send them with a fever of 100.2 because hey you gave them fever reducer and it wasn't 100.4. 

The one that really got me was the parent whose kid had the runs and messed up 4 pairs of underwear all before leaving the house.  It's a school not a hospital.

Before I have people telling me to climb down off my high horse, I am NOT talking to the parents who send a kid who has a minor illness or the parents who don't realize their kids are sick when they bring them in..sometimes it's hard to tell what is actually illness or just an allergy. I get it.  I'm talking to the parents who have kids that are obviously sick with something that can be spread and consistently send the kids to school.

Rant over.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

If I kept my son or daughter home for a runny nose, they'd never go to school. They have allergies that we just can't seem to control. A runny nose doesn't always mean illness.

If I kept my kids home for what you call a fever again they'd never go to school. DS runs warm at 99.8 so there could be says where he goes to school with a temp of 100 or higher.

Quoting Anonymous:

Or you send them with a fever of 100.2 because hey you gave them fever reducer and it wasn't 100.4.  If around 100 is normal for your child then your child isn't ill and my post isn't about your child or you as a parent.  But the school and the hospital in my area say that 100.4 is the cut off of an acceptable temperature.  So, if your child is at 100.2 and you pop medicine in them and send them to school knowing that kind of temperature is NOT normal for them, I say that's a jerk move.

Before I have people telling me to climb down off my high horse, I am NOT talking to the parents who send a kid who has a minor illness or the parents who don't realize their kids are sick when they bring them in..sometimes it's hard to tell what is actually illness or just an allergy. I get it.  I'm talking to the parents who have kids that are obviously sick with something that can be spread and consistently send the kids to school.  This paragraph which I guess you didn't read also says that I know it's hard to tell sometimes what is an illness and which is an allergy.  Again, I'm venting about parents who KNOW their child is ILL with something CONTAGIOUS and they send them to school anyway. 

I guess it's hard to understand someone in my child's situation unless you've been in my child's situation or mine. 

Rant over.

VinVanMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2014 at 7:16 PM

The school nurse' kid had perfect attendance she'd send him in throwing up, runs, ear infection. It was sad. 

nurse1997
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 9:51 PM

People are stupid and of course need to go to work (cough cough ) ugh some people suck !

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 3, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Here a fever is anything over 100.5. Unless they are puking or diarrhea they want the kids in school. My dd was in school with an upper respiratory infection all week before we realized it was getting worse. Its the nurses call if they come home. I send mine even when they have a tummy ache. And I am the mom of an immuno compromised former preemie. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)