Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Did you smoke as a teen and do you have any kids that smoke?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 53 Replies

I've smoked since I was really young and back when I started it was pretty much accepted and we even had a smoking section at our school.  My mom was buying my cigarettes for me at 14 but that was a different era.  Now my 14 yr old grandaughter, who lives with me,  has started smoking and even though she knows how bad it is, she keeps smoking.  Any ideas?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Megan11587
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I did smoke as a teen any my mom did buy them.  I wish she didn't.  I'm now 27 and a little over 3 months cigarette free and this isn't my first attempt.  I wish she did more to try to deter me.

I wouldn't allow it when she is with you.  The fewer opportunities to smoke the better.  Unfortunately, I know there isn't too much you can really do.

pinkfairy0206
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:45 AM
Yes, I did smoke quit as soon as i left the dr office with a positive pregnancy. My oldest is not het 12 and if I caught her smoking I don't think I can write what would happen lol. We all just watched my husband's dad pass away very very painfully from lung cancer.
CLEKate
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Do you still smoke as well?  If you do, it's harder to get her to stop--she is only doing what you are doing.  If you do, your only option is to focus on the "illegal" part since she isn't old enough to buy them on her own.

Here's how I think you can start the fight:

First: Start taking the packs of cigarrettes away.  Break them up, then throw them away.  Keep doing this.  Those things are an expensive habit--so hit her where it'll hurt. 

Second: Cut off her funding for them as well.  Make them harder to get.  No money, no cigarettes.  If she gets money from you, stop giving it.  Get a parent invovled with the money (if there is a parent invovled.)

If you can't stop her this way, I have heard one drastic one that's more of a gamble: If she wants to continue smoking, she needs to smoke an entire pack of cigarrettes in one sitting.   Start to finish.  No breaks.  IF she makes it through and wants to continue, that's that gamle---you will allow her.  The idea with this is that they will get so sick with it that they won't want to do it again.

(I know a parent that did this with 2 children.  One puked partway through and quit smoking there and then.  The other finished and continued smoking for years.)

CLEKate
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:56 AM

And no, I have never smoked.  And I never will.

And I pray that my boys (4 & 5) never start...

Megan11587
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 7:58 AM

Can you try to quit with her?  At this age, she cannot possibly understand the difficulty of quitting after years and years of smoking.  SHe thinks she can quit whenever.  Little does she know that in the blink of an eye, it will become a lifestyle and that struggle to quit is a huge struggle.  Maybe seeing you go through that struggle will open her eyes.

Grnyann65
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 8:03 AM

I smoked from the time I was 12, and quit for the third, and final time when I was 24. I have 4 children, all have smoked, only 1 still does. Where does your granddaughter get the money to buy cigarettes? Who buys them for her?

ValG1973
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I've been smoking since 6th grade and I'm 40 now.  You need to deal with smoking as an addiction whether its a teenager or an adult.  Just taking them away or not allowing her to smoke won't solve the problem, you need to try to educate her, and convince her to quit on her own.  Most smokers will tell you the only way to quit is when you yourself are ready and not when someone tells you to quit. 

LDavis33
by Member on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I started smoking when I was 13.  Back then, it was easy to get cigarettes.  I would use my sisters birth certificate as "I.D." to buy them (when they even bothered to I.D. me) and eventually my mom started buying my cigarettes (she was and still is a smoker).  You could smoke anywhere.  The mall, the theater, there was even a smoking area at our high school.  I smoked until I was 30 and found out I was pregnant with my DS4.  I started again for a short period between pregnancies, but haven't touched a cigarette since my DD was born 18 months ago.

If I ever catch my children smoking, I will do everything within my power to stop them.  I really wish my mom had spoken up about my smoking but she did nothing to discourage it.  Though now the schools and media teach children from a very young age that smoking is bad, so hopefully society's perceptions will help keep my children from starting.

DisabledVet
by on Apr. 5, 2014 at 2:58 PM

It's illegal to buy her cigrettes, so don't buy them or pay for them. Do you still smoke?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 5, 2014 at 3:17 PM

I started when I was 12 and quit when I was about 28 - had my children in my 30's - they never saw me or their father smoke and yet the both of them smoked when they were teens, one of them smokes e-cigs now - it's really difficult to control what teens do - you can take away stuff, ban them to their room, make them do more chores - show them pics of lungs, or people with cancer from smoking.  it didn't matter my kids were that stubborn - sorry I don't have an answer for you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN