Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Why would a child not want to go to the other parents house?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies
So lately step children a girl that is 13 and a boy that is 14.. have recently said they do not want to go\be at dad's house? When asked what the reason was the girl said because she had spent the night at a friends house for 2 days in a row and when she asked to go to another friends house dad told her no. The boy said because we never do any thing? Would that be enough to convince a judge to take away visitations? The mother of the children will be pursuing court etc. .
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldnt think so

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:23 AM
1 mom liked this
That sounds silly all around... dad said I cant sleep at so and so house so I never want to go back.... every parent would lose their child. visitation is visitation doesnt mean you have to be out doing things.

We often did nothing at my dads on visitation. We still had to go.
AlwaysKISA
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:25 AM
5 moms liked this
The mom is actually going to pursue that?! Well at least we know where the children got their entitled ass attitudes from.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
STVUstudent
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I seriously doubt that would be enough to convince a judge to talke away visitation.  Here we have a 13 year old girl whining because dad won't let her spend ever evening that she is with him away at someone else's house and a 14 year old boy whining that they never "do" anything...  SMH... a 13 year old who wants to run the streets and a bored can't entertain himself 14 year old?  and THIS is a reason to go to court???

TrouserMouse
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:30 AM
3 moms liked this
At that age, kids want to be with their friends. They don't want to spend a bunch of time with their parents. It is common for kids that age to not want to go to their non-custodial parents house. It pulls them away friends and routines. A judge won't take away visitation rights for that, but the ncp should think about the fact that their kids are growing up and spending an entire weekend sitting and looking at dad and step-mom is not on their list of priorities.

Don't make them come if they don't want to, shorten visits, invite them to do special family activities when you can, and work with them a little bit. They are growing up. They aren't small children anymore.
alc4evermom
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:31 AM
This

Quoting AlwaysKISA: The mom is actually going to pursue that?! Well at least we know where the children got their entitled ass attitudes from.
alc4evermom
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:32 AM
I think reading this post just killed one of my brain cells.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:50 AM
I'm aware they are preteens and would rather be hanging out.. but I'm not going to dad's house because he told me no?? Over the weekend one went to a friends party and to the movies and we went shopping, out to eat! Dads house isn't a amusement park! Sometimes you have to be bored too

Quoting TrouserMouse: At that age, kids want to be with their friends. They don't want to spend a bunch of time with their parents. It is common for kids that age to not want to go to their non-custodial parents house. It pulls them away friends and routines. A judge won't take away visitation rights for that, but the ncp should think about the fact that their kids are growing up and spending an entire weekend sitting and looking at dad and step-mom is not on their list of priorities.

Don't make them come if they don't want to, shorten visits, invite them to do special family activities when you can, and work with them a little bit. They are growing up. They aren't small children anymore.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:53 AM
Haha I think mom convinces the kids they don't have to go if they don't want to.. I really don't understand why?

Quoting alc4evermom: This

Quoting AlwaysKISA: The mom is actually going to pursue that?! Well at least we know where the children got their entitled ass attitudes from.
TrouserMouse
by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 7:54 AM
Is there a reason that that the teens need to be there the entire weekend eow? It isn't like dad is spending quality time with them the entire weekend. I don't see anything wrong with being a little flexible as the age, mature, and become more independent.

What's going to happen when they have jobs? What about when they have school activities that will "interfere" with visitation? Visitation changes as kids get older.

Quoting Anonymous: I'm aware they are preteens and would rather be hanging out.. but I'm not going to dad's house because he told me no?? Over the weekend one went to a friends party and to the movies and we went shopping, out to eat! Dads house isn't a amusement park! Sometimes you have to be bored too

Quoting TrouserMouse: At that age, kids want to be with their friends. They don't want to spend a bunch of time with their parents. It is common for kids that age to not want to go to their non-custodial parents house. It pulls them away friends and routines. A judge won't take away visitation rights for that, but the ncp should think about the fact that their kids are growing up and spending an entire weekend sitting and looking at dad and step-mom is not on their list of priorities.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)